Sugar addiction....

Options

Replies

• shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    For myself personally, the "everything in moderation" approach doesn't work with some things. At this point I really do need to completely cut them out. I don't have the best willpower, admittedly. I can will myself to work out, but I can't will myself to keep one bowl of granola from turning into 4. It happens. If I allow myself something in moderation, I tend to keep having it "in moderation" until the box is empty. I realize this. It's not the deprivation that leads to the binge, it's the mentality that "just one won't hurt". It really IS comparable to a drug addiction in that way, because I find myself craving that feeling, that mental/emotional boost that the sugar gives me, I think. All cereal products are off-limits for me. I do suspect some sort of gluten intolerance or something, though, because I know people often do crave foods, for whatever reason, that they are intolerant/allergic to.

So, yeah. Cutting back on all processed everything is good. If it comes from a box(dry pasta included), I know I really shouldn't eat it because I probably won't want to stop eating it.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing. Just get your diet figured out and fit in moderate amounts of foods you enjoy.

Not "addiction" per se, but sugar dependence has certainly been proven. http://www.princeton.edu/pr/news/02/q2/0620-hoebel.htm

Not proven, suggested in rats. Rats metabolize sugars differently than humans. Yadayada this has been discussed before.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    When did you finally realize you had a problem?

When it started affecting your work, when you sold your TV for a sugar cube, or when you gave a bj for a sugar packet?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh:

I really shouldn't laugh at it, because there was that one time I really wanted a Klondike Bar..

Pssss! You. Yea, you.

I got Klondikes.

In my freezer.

What kind ya like?

Whoa...where'd my clothes just go?!?

Caramel pretzel...name your price.

Wait! Right here, don't move.

Damn flavors I don't have . . .

*runs off to grocery in a mad dash*
  • AshatanViz
    AshatanViz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are being flippant about this post, but sugar CAN be addictive. There are several studies to back that up. I have personally added to that pool of research when I did a study with rats using cocaine or cookie dough to study reward processing. Sugar can be as rewarding as cocaine if you eat it often enough, and in large quantities.

I recommend taking the sugar out of your house, away from your work space, anywhere you usually see it. I find that turning on catchy music and singing/dancing around for a little while will distract me long enough to forget about how much I feel like bingeing on cookies. The less you eat, the less you'll crave. Good luck!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

When it started affecting your work, when you sold your TV for a sugar cube, or when you gave a bj for a sugar packet?

lmao! ^This.

And OP, if you really have an "addiction", then you should be checking yourself into rehab or getting professional psychological help.

I often wonder if the people who keep throwing that word around have ever known people who suffer from an actual addiction, because if they did, they'd realize just how serious an addiction (physical and mental) is and would be seeking help for their issues....not trying to go do some fad detox diet whatever. Seriously sad how we belittle actual issues by using the phrase or word to describe little and simple problems...like learning to moderate what we eat, in this case.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I need help overcoming my sugar addiction. I would love tips from anyone who has been through this and broke the addiction.

It probably isn't really an addiction so much as a habit. I have a pretty major sweet tooth and generally crave something sweet after lunch and dinner. I also have a hard time not eating certain things if they're in my house and with other things, if I have that first taste I want more and more.

So, I don't keep those things in my house at all (and if I HAVE TO have them there, I avoid that first taste). For the little sweet craving, I learned to substitute. After lunch pretty much every day, I have six squares of Green & Black's 85% cocoa dark chocolate with some peanut butter (optional). It's the ONLY dark chocolate I can stand. It isn't as bitter as others, but still not a lot of sugar. And it's so rich that that little bit is more than enough.

I end every evening with a fruit smoothie:

1 cup blueberries
    1/2 cup each of raspberries and blackberries
    1 banana
    1 Tablespoon Peanut Butter & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams
    Ice

Blend and top with LIGHT whipped cream. 16 grams of fiber and a ton of vitamins. And so yummy.

Great ideas....thank you :)

Really, it's the taste I crave more than the substance, so those things help so much. Good luck!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This makes my blatant alcoholism sound like a breeze...
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are being flippant about this post, but sugar CAN be addictive. There are several studies to back that up. I have personally added to that pool of research when I did a study with rats using cocaine or cookie dough to study reward processing. Sugar can be as rewarding as cocaine if you eat it often enough, and in large quantities.

I recommend taking the sugar out of your house, away from your work space, anywhere you usually see it. I find that turning on catchy music and singing/dancing around for a little while will distract me long enough to forget about how much I feel like bingeing on cookies. The less you eat, the less you'll crave. Good luck!

TIL that humans are rats.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Flippancy aside, there have been studies in humans that show that sugar is not addictive. Suggesting someone abstain completely from sugar is encouraging disordered eating.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I really wish that they would slap a sin tax on Dairy Queen.

I have to pass one every morning when I drive to the liquor store to pick up my fifth of Jack for breakfast.

and don't forget my carton of cigarettes fool!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Post of study?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    It isn't an addiction until you have snorted a line of sugar off of the Kool Aid Man's *kitten*.

bahahahahahahahahaha
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options

LOOOOL!!!!!!
  • ndj1979
    Options

I just sing the theme song to the Jefferson's and it immediately takes to my safe place where there is no sugar....

So you eat no carbs, fruit, etc..?????????????
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Guess I should have titled this post "Need ideas for cutting down on my love of sweet treats"
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You stop eating it. You say no. And you don't vilify it. It's not the sugar's fault. Sugary foods aren't bad, and they aren't the devil.

I had to stop eating sugar for about a month before the cravings stopped. I cut WAY down on bread and tried my best to eliminate all processed foods. I had a piece of fruit after every meal to retrain my brain and cravings that after dinner I didn't want ice cream, I wanted a peach. When I do want something sweet, I eat a piece of fruit. When I want something salty, I have some almonds or cashews.

Yesterday I had a small slice of cake, and I have no cravings for more. It was enough for me.

Ultimately, you stop eating sugar the same way that you stop being overweight. You have self control and say 'no'.

Um, how did you stop eating sugar but ate fruit?

Have you ever heard someone ask 'Oh god. I'm so addicted to fruit! How do I stop eating it?!' No, because it's the processed sugar that tends to have addictive qualities. They're two different kinds of sugar, so no need to be the 'but its all sugar' guy.

sugar is sugar...doesn't matter if it comes from a candy bar or a strawberry...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Guess I should have titled this post "Need ideas for cutting down on my love of sweet treats"
    A sense of humor is a must around here. lol
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

What was the feeding protocol and was it ad lib food intake?
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read the article.

I know it's behavioral. But eating sugar stimulates those feel good receptors in the brain. And SOME people can become "addicted" to it that brain response.

Just because it's not happening to you, doesn't mean it's not happening for others.

I have to regulate my carbohydrate intake very carefully. If I eat too many carbs, or too many of the WRONG carbs, my body reacts.
  • ndj1979
    Options

as long as you are under your calorie goal, who cares? I personally do not eat a lot of sweet treats but that is just me...