Why are so many people against juicing?

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Cannot figure this out. It must be something like immigration or something, just a hot button topic.

Because it's another "diet of the week" solution. It is NOT feasible for 99.99% of people on an ongoing basis and short term solutions just result in regain and juicing is worse than most. Drinking some juice in your diet isn't bad... I like some fresh carrot, apple, celery juice... sounds weird, tastes great! That said, making it your whole diet isn't a very good solution because it's not something you are going to be able to stick with... because that is what results in long term sustained weight loss.

There are alot of people here and on the reboot site who last quite a bit of weight. Of course NO DIET is for a few months only, it has to become a way of life. And that is why I am continuing to juice some days to keep the weight off.

The reason you lost weight was because of the deficit you created. You are essentially replacing a meal with something much lower in calories. Unfortunately, when you go back to eating an actual meal that deficit is no longer.

This is why it's important to either learn how to eat a balance diet of FOOD at a deficit OR juice/replace a meal indefinitely.

You are however depriving yourself of important fats and protein. This is why i said its not good for retaining muscle.

I am eating three to four days a week and juicing the other days. Why I should eat pathetic little meals, weighing out foods, obsessing over every grain of rice, eating six times a day (an insulin trigger) is beyond me. Cannot do it.

I have lost weight by juicing and am continuing to keep it off by juicing.

Why cant everyone just say "Well, good for you".

No one said to eat pathetic little meals, eating six times a day.... What you're doing isn't sustainable.

But good for you. Let us know how that works out once you reach your goal weight and you've lost a bunch of muscle. :drinker:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Cannot figure this out. It must be something like immigration or something, just a hot button topic.

Because it's another "diet of the week" solution. It is NOT feasible for 99.99% of people on an ongoing basis and short term solutions just result in regain and juicing is worse than most. Drinking some juice in your diet isn't bad... I like some fresh carrot, apple, celery juice... sounds weird, tastes great! That said, making it your whole diet isn't a very good solution because it's not something you are going to be able to stick with... because that is what results in long term sustained weight loss.

There are alot of people here and on the reboot site who last quite a bit of weight. Of course NO DIET is for a few months only, it has to become a way of life. And that is why I am continuing to juice some days to keep the weight off.

The reason you lost weight was because of the deficit you created. You are essentially replacing a meal with something much lower in calories. Unfortunately, when you go back to eating an actual meal that deficit is no longer.

This is why it's important to either learn how to eat a balance diet of FOOD at a deficit OR juice/replace a meal indefinitely.

You are however depriving yourself of important fats and protein. This is why i said its not good for retaining muscle.

I am eating three to four days a week and juicing the other days. Why I should eat pathetic little meals, weighing out foods, obsessing over every grain of rice, eating six times a day (an insulin trigger) is beyond me. Cannot do it.

You have a weird idea of what eating healthy means.
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If it continues to work for you and you love it and you get enough of all the essential nutrients -- by all means, juice away.

I'm not *against* juicing, I just can't be bothered to buy the juicer and make a drink of everything, you know? I'm too lazy to make all my food into drinkable juices.

AND . . . I would really miss the textures of food, the crunch of bacon, the chewiness of sourdough bread, the smoothness of butter, the meaty OH YEAH of a good steak or a great pork chop. You know, the variety of it all. The crumbly-ness of fantastic sharp cheddar cheese.

So, due to a combination of laziness and joy, I don't juice. But your mileage may vary.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

So you didn't actually want to know people's opinion on juicing then?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

First - the topic is asking for reasons why people are against juicing.

Second - why do you have to have people approve of what you are doing?
  • PMDiva
    PMDiva Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well, I have to disagree with the majority on here. I juiced 100% for the first time for two weeks. For 2 1/2 years, especially right hand joints (my knuckles) held inflammation, never went away. Rheumatologist told me the only way I could get rid of the fluid is to have surgery on my hands. I didn't want it and he told me it was not worth it and to live with it. About the 7th day juicing, I even ask my 75 yo mother to look at my hand. I did not tell her what to look at. She replied, "Your joint swelling is gone!" Exactly! Then, about the 10th day, while I was rolling from side to side in my bed, I had to do it a couple of times. Why? The sciatic pain that I had constant for over 2 years from ruptured disk,did not go away when my disk healed naturally in about 9 months, was gone.

Also, I have been consistent with exercising and eating cleaner since January. I had not lost any lbs via the scales since March. The juice fasting jumped start my weight loss again and helped me to achieve being at 199 lbs, which I have never been in my adult life and I am almost 53, then, I will take from you being crazy. I enjoy juicing so much that I juice 2x a day and eat a sensible meal. I don't feel sluggish or deprived because I am not one to go feeling deprived. When I am tired of it, I will stop!
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the sense that you have something to prove here, so why not just get on with it?

Ha! Excellent question; the chase really needs cutting to here.
  • MistleToeSter
    MistleToeSter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well I asked and you answered. I don't buy your objections, but you answered.

:smile:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

So the question served no purpose but to give you a temporary sense of superiority?

Well, glad we could help I guess.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Haha Y'all fell for it.
  • clo92boom
    clo92boom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree, I understand that it isn't feasible for everyone to juice for reasons such as cost, time and satisfaction but it does seem that people who have never tried juicing are very much against it for no obvious reason.
    For those who say that there are no benefits to just eating the fruits/ vegetables, yes that may be true but the difference is that it is quite a bit harder to eat a whole cucumber, a whole bag of kale/ spinach, a bunch of celery etc etc than it is to just have a juice containing these ingredients. I personally have also found many benefits to juicing which I had not experience purely by eating fruits and vegetables such as clearer facial skin, more energy and practically complete extinction of eczema which I had previously suffered with and this was purely from drinking one green juice per day in place of lunch.
    I have also tried a 7 day juice fast for weight loss, again something that many people are strongly against for reasons such lack of fiber and regain of weight at the end of the fast. For me, I lost 5lbs during the week of juicing and, despite returning immediately afterwards to a normal diet (in fact the day I finished I was going to a dinner party and ate 4 courses!) I did not regain any of the weight, additionally, I felt awesome and as 7 days is really only a very short period of time I find it hard to imagine that lack of fiber would be an issue but I have heard of people adding physilium husks to their juices as a source of fiber.

All in all, fair enough if someone doesn't think juicing is right for them but it does frustrate me that the moment juicing is mentioned there tends to be an onslaught of people saying how silly it is without any obvious personal experience- ultimately what someone thinks is beneficial for them might not be for others. If anyone wants any more information about juicing from my experience just ask :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I am juicing and lost weight. I have also tracked everything I have eaten in the last two plus months. I am maintaining my weight now.

So?

If you didn't want opinions, why did you ask?

Go ahead and keep throwing out the nutrient filled part (skin) and fibre and drink the sugar water. I don't care.
  • MistleToeSter
    MistleToeSter Posts: 30 Member
    Options

So the question served no purpose but to give you a temporary sense of superiority?

Well, I am not a shrink but my husband is. Will have to ask him if I needed a temporary sense of superiority.

Did not understand why everyone was against juicing and still do not. However thank you for replying.

END OF MESSAGE
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

....Yeah, I don't really do any of that stuff you seem to think people do. I do weigh my food (Do you not weigh your food before you juice) but I don't obsess over things (Ehhh. A little over 200 grams of rice...sounds good.) and I don't eat little meals (700 calorie dinner last night. Nom.nom.nom.) and I certainly don't eat six meals a day. (I eat between noon and 8-9pm most days*. Ain't got time for six meals.)

*Not as an IF thing. I just don't like to eat in the morning. Makes my stomach hurt.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Well, I am not a shrink but my husband is. Will have to ask him if I needed a temporary sense of superiority.

Did not understand why everyone was against juicing and still do not. However thank you for replying.

END OF MESSAGE

Good. Maybe your husband will be able to set up any referrals as needed :) Best of luck OP! :flowerforyou:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

END OF MESSAGE

because i want to look like this not this.

5629568253764594eOesUotec.jpg
    130pounds.jpg?w=280&h=300
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

END OF MESSAGE

Well, you came in here to ask a question with a preformed opinion, didn't answer half the questions presented to you, and seemed determined to not be convinced otherwise. So...yeah.

And people already gave you their reasons for not juicing or juicing only as a supplement.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Because blending is better!
  • Strive52
    Strive52 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wink: Whole food blending rather than juicing is a fantastic day starter. Filling and meeting so many of our fruit and veggie needs for the day. I find that starting out my day with fresh blended fruits and veggies puts me in a good place, that I make better food choices the rest of my day. I have a Vitamix Blender, and everything is blended, skins and all, into a delicious smoothie to start out my and my husbands day. Here is my recipe....

2 cups water
    2 large handsful spinach or kale
    1 carrot
    1/2 cored granny smith apple
    1/4 cup each raspberries and blueberries
    1/4 cup pineapple
    1/2 banana
    3 prunes for fiber and sweetness
    1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
    1 tsp Vietnamese cinnamon
    splash of vanilla
    a few ice cubes

....we add a couple TBSP ground flax, scoop of wheat grass also. this makes 3 large servings for an extra one I take to work for my break, or later in the day when I am feeling like I need to make a good diet choice instead of chips!

Lets stay positive and encouraging to one another, we are all aiming toward the same goal. Blessings to all of you!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

END OF MESSAGE

It's certainly not an attack on you. You asked why some people don't see value in juicing. I provided medical opinion and case studies as to why some are "against juicing". If you don't "buy" that, that's okay, but if you had your mind made up already, there was not much reason to ask the question.