If you've heard "70% diet, 30% training".....

Options
Don't listen to that non sense.

Replies

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Lol... I agree. It has become such a silly cliche.

So, if I wanted to run a marathon and my diet was perfect but I didn't do much training, I would be at least 70% prepared for it? Uh, don't think so. :noway:

It's about creating a fluid system instead of compartmentalizing everything.
  • doublegrrr24
    Options
    hmmm
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Um, I think the 70/30 arguement is about losing weight, not running a marathon.....
  • nursediva00
    Options
    Um, I think the 70/30 arguement is about losing weight, not running a marathon.....

EXACTLY!!
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Agree with you that it is 50/50 as it is about health aswell as weight loss,

However when people are talking about 70/30 it is in regards to loosing weight rather than bulking/training/fitness.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    If you listened to everything put on an internet forum about weight loss / bulking / fitness etc you'd never do anything, every 'theory' gets contradicted by another one, every theory gets re-bunked as being 'internet gossip' and rubbish, etc etc...

Find what works for you and do it, otherwise you'll spend all your time working out whats best rather than doing something!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    If you listened to everything put on an internet forum about weight loss / bulking / fitness etc you'd never do anything, every 'theory' gets contradicted by another one, every theory gets re-bunked as being 'internet gossip' and rubbish, etc etc...

Find what works for you and do it, otherwise you'll spend all your time working out whats best rather than doing something!

tumblr_mi2kgnuc1n1rtyd87o1_500.gif
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

So, if I wanted to run a marathon and my diet was perfect but I didn't do much training, I would be at least 70% prepared for it? Uh, don't think so. :noway:

WEIGHTLOSS is said to be 80% diet, 20% exercise... (i have never heard 70/30 before)

thats not the same thing as traning for a marathon, is it?!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I agree people shouldn't just worry about losing weight but also about improving their overall health, and that cannot truly be done just by eating less. (Maybe in some severe cases of obesity, but exercising regularly can improve a person's health so much, there's no reason not to include it.) People who only worry about losing weight and not exercising are typically people who are uneducated on the benefits of exercise; people who think if they work out or train hard they will turn into some kind of bulky muscle monsters, or who simply don't want to put the effort into it.

But it is so worthwhile to exercise as well as eat healthier. It shouldn't be all about appearance or fitting into a certain size...
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Obvious troll is obvious, unless OP is that stupid to mistake the quote.
  • mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options
    Obvious troll is obvious, unless OP is that stupid to mistake the quote.

By all means, please elaborate (assuming you watched the video)

To every saying it's weight loss. From the posts I've seen - it's fitness related in general.. and that is why I approached it in the manner I did.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options

WEIGHTLOSS is said to be 80% diet, 20% exercise... (i have never heard 70/30 before)

My point was it is meaningless whether it is for a marathon or just losing weight. And I've heard people tell me similar cliches for sports, weight lifting, running, etc. How about this: So I can lose weight without doing any exercise, therefore diet is 100%.

80-20?
    70-30?
    90-10?

What difference does it make? This is a dumb thread about a dumb, simplistic saying.

Excuse me, the Miley show is being shown again.
  • mud7urtle
    Options

My point was it is meaningless whether it is for a marathon or just losing weight. And I've heard people tell me similar cliches for sports, weight lifting, running, etc. How about this: So I can lose weight without doing any exercise, therefore diet is 100%.

80-20?
    70-30?
    90-10?

What difference does it make? This is a dumb thread about a dumb, simplistic saying.

Excuse me, the Miley show is being shown again.

Someone gets it

People STILL found a way to overthink it. lol
  • jnewell9
    jnewell9 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What's a troll? I see this reference a lot to postings.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I think the quote is mostly for weightloss. If I cleaned up my diet and stayed a little above my BMR, I'm going to lose weight whether I exercise or not. That's just a fact and that's how I lost my first 5 pounds. (not water weight) It took me a month, but I focused on eating better and actually eating 2200 calories a day and I lost weight. Working out just increases the food I can eat to still be at a deficit.
  • mud7urtle
    Options
    What's a troll? I see this reference a lot to postings.

Someone who posts something to get a negative reaction pretty much

I'm not a troll. The poster calling me one is simply indifferent (so i must be troll)
  • steve75596
    Options
    Hi,

I'm new to myfitnesspal and my main goal is to lose weight. I train Mon-Fri and work quite hard. Mon, Wed and Fri kettle bell session, Tues & Thursday cardio mainly stationary bike/cross trainer, simply because I am currently experiencing problem with my achillies hence I can't do much impact training.

I have for the passed two weeks been inputting my food and exercise and I keep getting a message that I need to increase my calories, due to the amount of calories I'm burning off during my training. How does this work? According to my food v exercise I'm under around 700/800 calories a day and this will have an impact on my metabolism, what should I be eating to assist me in my weight loss?

Cheers

Steve
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I aways heard it as 60% diet, 30% fitness, 10% genetics to lose weight. *shrugs*
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I thought it was 100% diet, and then you just needed to train enough to burn off the calories you consumed in alcohol.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I always took it to be related to weight loss, not training as an athlete. If we are talking about athletic training, I'd say it's 90% training and 10% diet.