MFP says to eat 300g of carbs a day

Options

Replies

• paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    300g carbs? seems fine to me

No if you weigh 370lbs. At that weight, you probably have chronically elevated insulin levels. All those carbs do nothing to fix that issue...

If you are say IMO, 10 - 20lbs from your goal weight then the story does change. As you get lighter, your workouts become more frequent and more intense and indeed do require more carbs.

Personally I get up to 250 grams of carbs on most days. That said, I do not have any weight to lose. There is not a lot of energy reserves (fat) on me to draw from. So my activity level requires extra fuel.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't see too big of issue with 300g of carbs per day if you are working out. Carbs translate into fuel for your body. BUT keep in mind the difference between "good carbs" and "empty calroie" carbs.

Banana= good carb
    White flour tortilla= empty calorie carb

There's no such thing as empty (insert any micronutrients here).

There's such thing as foods that provide "empty calories", although its not empty, but rather void of micronutrients, rendering them "useless apart from providing calories".
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i aim for 300g but im doing high carb so thats why
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Your carb intake should be 30 gr or less a day if you want to lose weight fast. I'm on a low carb, no sugar (well 20 gr or less a day) high fat (120 gr a day) diet and the pounds r dropping off and in all the right places too. Ive lost 2 kilo in 1 week. Just saying.

This is an option but not necessarily what OP "should" be doing. I am on LC/HF too but it's not for everyone. Suggestions are nice but don't tell people what they should be doing. Just sayin ;)
  • paleojoe
    Options
    I don't see too big of issue with 300g of carbs per day if you are working out. Carbs translate into fuel for your body. BUT keep in mind the difference between "good carbs" and "empty calroie" carbs.

Banana= good carb

There's such thing as foods that provide "empty calories", although its not empty, but rather void of micronutrients, rendering them "useless apart from providing calories".

At 370lbs I think neither one is a good choice...

Meat, vegetables a modicum of fruit (mostly berries), and healthy fats are in order.
  • BooBoo1264
    BooBoo1264 Posts: 164
    Options
    Your carb intake should be 30 gr or less a day if you want to lose weight fast. I'm on a low carb, no sugar (well 20 gr or less a day) high fat (120 gr a day) diet and the pounds r dropping off and in all the right places too. Ive lost 2 kilo in 1 week. Just saying.

Baloney. Not proven. Caloric deficit. Brain aneurysm.

^^ Agreed
  • paleojoe
    Options

This is an option but not necessarily what OP "should" be doing. I am on LC/HF too but it's not for everyone. Suggestions are nice but don't tell people what they should be doing. Just sayin ;)

Yep. Most of the advice if not all of it comes from our own personal experiences of what works for us. Do your due diligence, experiment and find what works for you.
  • paleojoe
    Options

Baloney. Not proven. Caloric deficit. Brain aneurysm.

^^ Agreed

Not for everyone...
  • paulomi81
    paulomi81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I keep it less than 90 per day and try to keep less than 30 per meal. I am a pre-diabetic though so it helps keeping my blood sugar in control. However, i like this diet now as it allows me to load a lot of butter and cheese on a slice of bread and still lose weight. Better than having more bread and go low on butter cheese etc :) I love eggs. the more i add eggs to my diet, the more i lose weight. It has 1g carb. Lowest i can find!
  • Stronger_Diva
    Stronger_Diva Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Agreed. 100-150 total g per day is a good low carb diet. Make the foods high in fiber / vegetables of all colors / and your sugar fruit. It's healthy and good for you. If you work out a lot you may even want to bump this up higher.

I do not personally like the low carb diet. I've been on it and I always felt like my cravings were out of control. I eat exactly like I mentioned above and my cravings are pretty much gone.

=) HTH
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    At one point I tried setting my own goals and accidentally ended up glitching the system. It told me I needed to eat 40% carbs, 20% fat and 80% protein. That's 140% of my daily calorie goals.

Be sure your numbers add up.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

Banana= good carb

Meat, vegetables a modicum of fruit (mostly berries), and healthy fats are in order.

I like this guy!
  • paleojoe
    Options
    On a side note... if you are on a high fat diet, make sure your fat comes from grass fed cows, pastured pork and fowl, wild caught fish and organic high fat fruit (avocados for example). What your food ate and how it was grown has a big impact on your health. Where your food comes from matters...
  • paleojoe
    Options

Banana= good carb

I like this guy!

=)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Banana= good carb
    Pastries= empty calorie carbs with little/no nutritional value

BROSCIENCE.jpg
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options

That's hardly a sustainable diet.

Also, if it's only your first week, a lot of your initial weight loss will have been water retention.

I eat carbs everyday, usually in the form of fruit and veg, occasionally bread, etc, and I've lost over 70lbs.

It's all about moderation.
  • kingtermite
    kingtermite Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That does seem a bit high, but not ridiculously high.

Check your goals: My Home->Goals->Change Goals->Custom

What does MFP give you for daily calorie goal?
    What is your goal for weight loss set at?
    What are the percentages set for carbs/protein/fat?

I was wondering if your percentages got tweaked and set with carbs a bit high.

For comparison:
    My calories burned from daily activity = 2590 cals
    My daily calorie deficit is set to 960 calories (equates to 1.9 lbs per week)
    My percentages are Carb=55%, Protein=15%, Fat=30%

Soooooo...if your pertentage is much higher, then it could be the reason your goal is so high (depends on your calorie numbers though).
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me to eat between 250 - 300g a day also.

Considering I eat between 2200-2500+ calories a day I don't see anything wrong with that. I also eat at least 100 g of protein/ day. My macros are set to 45/30/25 and I have not had any problem losing wight doing this. If you have a LOT of calories to eat of course you will be eating more carbs (as well more protein and fats) People who are freaking out are probably on 1200 calories and can't afford to eat 300g of carbs because they simply don't have the calories available... IIFYM eat the carbs! don't complicate things.

IF you find after several MONTHS that you seem to be stuck then MAYBE you can look at things but when you are first starting out it shouldn't even be a blip on your radar. Everyone is different and everyone has different calorie allotments. What works for someone who eats half the calories you do will not work for you - or me.