What was your "last straw"???

Options
ladymm40
ladymm40 Posts: 31
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
What was your "last straw" or the thing that sent you to MFP?

There were a few things that finally made me realize it was time to do something about my weight.

My back would hurt just from walking around the grocery store.

Most of my shirts felt to tight to wear. I hate having to buy bigger sizes.

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks

Mary

PS...How do I add my tracker to my posts? I love seeing everyone elses progress and would like to share as well.

Replies

• Jenny9000
    Jenny9000 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I honestly just woke up one morning, and thought I couldn't stand to see myself the way I had become anymore. I went to workout that day and started eating better.
  • magbat1819
    magbat1819 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get back into my fat jeans! Holy crap!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    My big pants got too small.

I felt sluggish and just yucky in general.

I went to the doctor and the scale said I was 11 pounds over the heaviest weight I said I'd ever let myself be.
  • danamarich
    danamarich Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I saw a stretch mark where I had never EVER had a stretch mark before... on my arm.

I was horrified.
  • Slinn1985
    Slinn1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Few shirts that had buttons popped, yes. How bad is that.

My boss commented jokingly about my weight.

Buying a bulk of new work clothes because I'd gotten that fat.

1 ripped shirt at the gut

Couldn't button my work pants

getting muffin tops on 36w jeans.

Please to say all of the above doesnt happen now, and the only shirts I struggle to get in are size S (rather than L)
  • ladymm40
    ladymm40 Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks for sharing everyone.....

It sure helps to read other peoples thoughts....makes me feel less alone.

Mary
  • foxymags
    foxymags Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A pair of pants that split at the seam, and one skirt that ripped in half when I sat down. I wanted to go shopping for new clothes, but couldn't get passed needing a new size. Kept picking up pants that fit me 20lbs ago, and thinking "there's no way these won't fit". Wrong.

Then summer rolled around - I tried on my bathing suit - began to cry, and said "that's it. No more"

Haven't cheated on my diet since.
  • OnMyWeigh
    OnMyWeigh Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I took my daughter to Disneyland for her 10th birthday and after looking at the pictures I was disgusted with myself and embarassed for my daughter, I felt like I had ruined her 10th birthday pictures because I looked so bad.
  • BlazeJay83
    BlazeJay83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No single moment or cause, but a mixture of age, body shape, choice of clothes and wanting to prevent future health problems before it got too far.

Working in an office job with little exercise and eating without care (I've never eaten large amounts) slowly adds the pounds on over years, there is often no massive leap to being overweight. I put on 75 lbs in 12 years since I was 18 years old. This gradual process means that you adjust over time, but at some point you have to say enough is enough.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I went skydiving.
    Watching the video and seeing myself was eye opening. I also struggled to lift my legs high enough to land properly. That really gave me my initial push of motivation.
  • taradactyl2
    Options
    My doctor told me to lose weight!
    I am the heaviest I've ever been. Gained during pregnancy, and it has yet to come off 15 months later even after cutting soda.
    I can't stand looking in the mirror or pictures of myself.. And lets not even talk about the scale!
    That was my breaking point.

I just hate excersizing and need to find that motivation.
  • uagoodmomma
    uagoodmomma Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started getting shortness of breath after minimal activity and my clothes were getting tight! I also couldn't enjoy family activities without feeling extremely fatigued, taking away from my quality time with them!
  • KoRnKraZy
    KoRnKraZy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Seeing a picture of myself and feeling disgusted. Never looked back.
  • tfuller414
    tfuller414 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Struggling to get the bar to close on a roller coaster after waiting in line for an hour with my family. I was horrified when a ride attendant had to come and jump on it to get it to close. I was in pain through the whole ride and was afraid the bar would pop open at any moment and I was going to die.

Same vacation, went to go horseback riding in the Smokey Mountains with family. There was a weight limit to ride the horses and I was 10 lbs over. They offered to skip it for me but we had just driven 45 minutes to get there and I refused to let my limitations get in the way of their fun. I smiled and waved until they rode around the corner. I sat in the car and cried for an hour and a half waiting for them to return.
  • catrionaprovan
    catrionaprovan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    stood on scales for first time in months and realised i had been burying my head in the sand, and had to do something
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I was just starting rehab from a total knee replacement last September (26 days til my anniversary). My personal trainer, who is also a member here, told me to join. And I knew if I didn't he'd kick my *kitten*. And it's been the best thing I've done in a long, long time.
  • Regan45
    Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    From my 30s to now late 40s, I went from a size 5 to a 10. When the 10 got tight, I knew something had to happen! I was looking to join WW on line and my daughter told me about MFP. So glad she did!
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Not a "last straw" but more like a worse that I have ever felt: Being at Disney when Harry Potter land opened and waiting in line for two hours and then the bar wouldn't lock across my lap and I couldn't ride.
  • bitflogger
    Options
    Father passed away and realized I was the remaining "father" figure in the family. I still need to be here a while.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    A Caribbean vacation in January. Trying to pick out hot weather clothes that "sort of" fit from last Summer. I was self conscious the whole trip and Googled "best weight loss app" while I was waiting at the airport to come home.
This discussion has been closed.