What was your "last straw"???

Options

Replies

• MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    when i was diagnosed with sleep apnea and had to start sleeping with a cpap machine. then watching my parents health decline due to being overweight. i have become their inspiration to become healthier and they are mine along with all the new friends i have made on MFP.
  • toridehaven
    Options
    I found MFP some time ago and have been failing at every attempt. Well I dropped my daughter off at soccer practice and took my son to the park to play to give him something to do while we waited for her. By the time we walked there, literally across the street, I was so out of breath I had to sit down. In the meantime, my four year old little boy waved to me from the slides and looked at me as if he understood that mommy couldn't play because she was too tired and that he forgave me for it. Broke my heart. This happened on Tuesday. So I have been mulling this over for the last couple of days. Time to start over and to get serious! My goals are to be able to run and play with him on the playground at the park; to help my daughter practice for soccer; to be the woman I was when my husband met me five years ago; and finally to be able to look in the mirror and smile!
  • Elvira2014
    Elvira2014 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hated not being able to where the "cute" outfits. So i started by getting full length mirrors in my bedroom and bathroom. ;-)
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    A really bad photo that told me the truth the mirror had somehow managed to conceal.

Ditto.
  • Seeing myself in my wedding pictures.....hideous!!! Any pictures really. Also taking 4 kinds of blood pressure pills twice a day. Fat clothes too tight, can't participate in any summer activities because I felt ugly in my clothes, imbarassed to be seen in public, did I mention pictures were disturbing. :noway:
  • amylb0822
    amylb0822 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My mother was diagnosed 4 years ago with an agressive type of Alzhiemer's Disease. Little is known about why folks may get ALzheimer's or not for certain. THere is a genetic marker, but some folks with the marker don't get it. ALso some folks with no genetic marker also get it ....

One thing studies show.... if you maintain a healthy weight, stay active physically and mentally, maintain a diet of healthy foods and keep up with scheduled dental care you are far less likely to suffer from this wretched disease.

As we are watching my mother die from this horrible disease, both my sister and I have made huge efforts to change or diets and get in shape. Both of us are on MFP...

I want every possible chance I can get to avoid going out the way my Mom is.....
  • farrahb42
    Options
    As sad as it sounds, my weight loss started in a not so healthy way. Not even on purpose, really.
    My boyfriend of 4 years that I had moved away and lived with broke up with me. And having a great life previously, this was the most devastating thing that has ever happened to me.

I saw it as a good time to start over, and so far I've lost over 60 pounds since then!
    And I found MFP recently, and I love it. ^-^

Although my weight has been fluctuating around 141-145 lately, ugh.
  • spaceyplum
    spaceyplum Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs over three years ago but it wasn't the healthy way. I went through a depression and about the only thing to come out of it was the weight loss. Once I snapped out of it I gained but it was just a bit the first couple of years and I didn't think much of it because I was still fitting into my size 4's. I found myself going up a pants size every year until this March I found that my size 10's (the first size I went down to) were barely fitting. Not only were my pants not fitting but I was feeling out of breath going up the stairs once again. I figured it was time to get back in shape, this time the healthy way.

It's been a lot harder this time around since at that point I had lost my appetite and was simply not eating that much. This time around I decided to lose it the healthy way and started Lose It and C25K. I was doing well until I went on vacation in May and gained back 6 of the 10 lbs I had managed to lose. I continued to run but seemed to have hit a wall where weight loss was concerned which got me bummed. After taking a break of about a month I decided to get back on the ball a couple of weeks ago and switched to MFP. The break seemed to have kick-started another weight loss phase which I'm happy about and luckily it didn't affect my running too much.
  • CinDenn3
    CinDenn3 Posts: 10
    Options
    I just want to feel good about my "whole self" again. For 20 years I have been overweight and I am sick of it. Shopping for clothes for a friends wedding was my last straw, nothing but tents and tarps to choose from. I want choices and I have to start by making the most difficult one of all- to just do this!
  • DarrenFetty
    Options
    I knew that I need to loose weight. I always said I will start working out tomorrow. Well I had massive shoulder surgery back in June. When I woke up after the surgery I was a diabetic. The stress of the surgery put me in a diabetic state and now I am on insulin 4 times a day. I was told if I loss enough weight I maybe able to come off the insulin. I have loss 45lbs and have another 55lbs to go.
  • Mootpoint
    Mootpoint Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A lady on the tube offered me her seat; she had assumed I was pregnant! The embarrassment of having to reply that that wasn't the case . . .
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    When a size 8 felt tight, after always having been between sizes 2-5.

When my mom bought be a skimpy little spaghetti strap dress (like the ones I've always worn), made me try it on, and then said: "Well, I guess I shouldn't get you more clothes like that anymore."

When I ran into someone I hadn't seen for a while, she looked me up and down, her eyes practically popped out of her head, and she asked: "What happened?"

It was the combination of those three.
  • hockeymomchicago
    hockeymomchicago Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Seeing a picture of myself with my daughter on her graduation day - made me realize how bad I looked on the outside and felt on the inside. Not anymore....I'm heading in the right direction!
  • lnttank1
    lnttank1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Feeling embarrassed to go to my high school reunion with the way I look today. And having neighbors ask my parents if I was pregnant again. :(
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When I left my doctor's office with a prescription for an antidepressant. I knew I needed to take back control of my life.

I had been through a lot of ugly unfair life that year and gained 10# on top of the extra 10# that had crept on over the 9 years before that. I was letting other people's actions control my wellbeing.

The day after the fateful doctor appointment I started spending money we don't have on a gym membership and going to the gym religiously even when there are other demands on my time. Shortly after I started buying fresh foods that I want even though no one else in the house will eat them. It sounds very selfish but it is the only way I could get myself back.

The appointment was December 22, 2012. August 29, 2013 I am down the 20# plus almost 5# to my final weight goal. My doctor is talking about weaning me off the antidepressants. My husband is finally starting to get on board and go to the gym with me once in a while. He has eating healthier and cooking healthier for our family. Most importantly I am starting to feel more like the capable, confident person I used to be.

I need to add that I also joined a book club, started taking community ed classes, started playing bagepipes, and learned how to fence (think swords not cattle). I am working at making new, better, friends and making spending time with them a priority.
  • TwinsRaGift
    TwinsRaGift Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have always struggled with self image and weight. In Jan of 2011 I had a miscarriage. A few months later I learned I was pregnant again and with twins! Between having twins and the loss of the first baby I spiraled out of control with my weight. When they weighed me in November on the way into my C-section the scale said 219! I had always rationalized that I would just be bigger since I was having twins and had put on "a little" from the first pregnancy. When I saw the scale I knew that even though they were twins there was NOT 75lbs worth of baby in there! It took me a long time and several attempts at starting, but I have done better this time then ever before! Good luck to you all!
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It really wasn't a last straw - it was more of the opportunity so I might as well take it.....

I lost my job due to voice issues and working in a call center (they don't go well together). After they let me go, I moped around for about a month. Then one day I was wondering if I could still touch my toes (I might have always been big, but fairly flexible). HOLY CROW, I COULD!!...BUT....I didn't want to lose that so I decided since I had the time I might as well do SOMETHING productive. Been unemployed since April, still looking for a job, but losing weight has been what has kept my head high.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had a heart attack. While recovering in the ICU, I had a bad reaction to the blood thinners and almost bled to death. After getting platelet transfusions and stabilizing, I had a small stoke. After I recovered enough to go home and I started Cardiac Rehab, I got really angry. Then I went though a spell of bad depression. Once that passed, I knew it was time to change.

It's been a long and slow process, made even more difficult by some of the medications I take that are notorious for slowing metabolism, but one day at a time I'm getting there.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get back into my fat jeans! Holy crap!
    That was one of mine too. When my fat jeans stopped fitting.
    And when I hopped on the scale one day and saw I was almost pushing 150 and weighed exactly the same as my BF, who's 4 inches taller than me.
    And when I realized why my boss wasn't calling me for gigs anymore.
    And when I couldn't stand the sight of myself in the mirror.

Those things all happened pretty simultaneously. Pudgy has never been something that I've let myself be, and It hit me that I'd failed. So I did something about it. :-)
  • dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Don't know if anyone has answered your question or not - to add your ticker click on the link at the top that says "Hi, [your user name]." That will take you to your profile. Your ticker is there with the option to Personalize it and to add it to your site. When you click to add it to your site it will tell you how to include it in your forum posts.

If someone else has already answered this, never mind. :)
This discussion has been closed.