What was your "last straw"???

Options

Replies

• sydneyplainjane
    sydneyplainjane Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    A couple of things for me. I've had some really bad gastro issues lately. Had my first colonoscopy earlier this month and the doctor removed six polyps, a few were very large and one was pre-cancerous (they got it in time, thank goodness). But, the doctor told me that a lot of the gastro issues I was having were due to obesity; and I have read that there is a relationship between obesity and the number of polyps (most people I know have only had one or two removed at a time). So, that was the incentive I needed to do something.

Other reasons - knees (my doc said I would more than likely need knee replacement in a few years because of all the weight; I'm hoping it's not too late). And, diabetes - my mother had it.

It would also be really nice to NOT have to shop in the big woman section of the store. When I get down to a 16 Petite, I'm partying!!!
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    What was your "last straw" or the thing that sent you to MFP?

There were a few things that finally made me realize it was time to do something about my weight.

My back would hurt just from walking around the grocery store.

Most of my shirts felt to tight to wear. I hate having to buy bigger sizes.

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks

Mary

PS...How do I add my tracker to my posts? I love seeing everyone elses progress and would like to share as well.

My "last straw" was when my ex and I decided to divorce. I looked back and realized he would tell me "Let's get healthy" but then feed me crap food all the time, never wanted to exercise with me, etc. So basically I decided I wanted to "win" the divorce by looking hot. Lol.

But honestly, I just knew I'd be starting down a new path in my life, and since I'm so young I wanted to do it right. Glad I did!
  • toridehaven
    Options
    My daughter had fallen off her bike and got hurt. I was not far from her but far enough that it seemed like it took forever to get to her. Once I got to her I was so out of breath that I thought I was going to die. Once I got my daughter all taken care of, I sat down on the couch and cried. What if she was fatally injured and I couldn't have gotten to her because of my weight. What would have happen if I had clasped because I was overweight and out of breath. That is when I also started thinking about other things, like what else have I missed out on with my kids due to my weight? What have my kids missed out on because of my weight? That is when I made the vow to do something different. I started walking, watching what I ate, drinking more water and working out.

Now after typing and rereading this I kind of helps put things back on track.. At first I had lost about 80 pounds but since then I have put on roughly about 30 pounds. I struggle more and more each day.

I feel your pain!!! Add me if you would like. I would love to offer support.
  • lolalament
    lolalament Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I knew I was getting fat, but I stepped on the scales out of curiosity one day (after not weighing myself for years - they weren't even my scales as I don't own any) and saw that I was 2 stone over what I though - and I thought I was 4 stone over what I wanted to be
  • sddicks01
    sddicks01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Please share your secrets what did you do to get the weight off? i need some serious help
  • jrshrode
    jrshrode Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was having extremely painful ovarian cyst ruptures every month. It was the most excruiciating paing I have ever felt in my left, and left me sore for days after. I have young boys and I could barely walk around the house to take care of them. I was convinced it was because I took such horrible care of myself. Between sticking to working out and eating better, and taking supplements that my body was obviously lacking, I am no longer in pain! It has been about 1 1/2 years since my last rupture.
  • WhoDat5o4
    WhoDat5o4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Killing myself working out yet still gaining weight. It's not muscle b'c I am struggling to fit into my clothes, half of my wardrobe is now useless to me. I started back on here and see that it's my diet holding me back, that is going to change!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    There was no "last straw" for me. It was just convenient for me to join when I did, as my niece had just become certified as a personal trainer and volunteered to set the whole thing up for me. ( Thanks, Mel, honey!) Then I got into it, and have been here ever since. I feel better than I have in years. As to how... it isn't difficult. I eat sensibly without giving up anything ( pizza, fried chicken, chocolate), make good choices, keep portion size smaller than previously, exercise more, keep track of my calories and make sure I'm under my calorie goals, and I have been under my calorie goals every day since Feb. 5 when I joined up. Fewer calories in than calories out, and more moving, and weight loss happens. In my case I want it to happen slowly. My skin isn't that elastic anymore and I don't want to look fitter and thinner but older.
  • bigmamafour
    bigmamafour Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I bought a scale, after not having one for years. I stepped on it and could no longer live in denial of what I had been doing to myself. I am a RN,I know better, but I that did not stop me from stuffing my face with junk!
    I have had no desire to go back to my horrible eating habits since that day, three and a half weeks ago. I will continue on this:brokenheart: path as I am raising my two grandsons, ages 2 and 5, and it is difficult for fat gramma to keep up with them!
  • Denisse210
    Denisse210 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    --going from a good looking 165 to 220 in 2 yrs! (i moved out of my moms for the first time ever, new city with lots of food options plus a desk job killed me)

-- i went from a 32 barely B to a Full 38 D in 2 yrs so i have stretch marks

-- comfortable 9s to too tight 16s

-- my hair for some reason started to fall out

BUT the one that got me was when my Fiance who had just come back from deployment said "IM JUST NOT ATTRACTED TO YOU ANYMORE"

that simple sentence brought me here
  • aimeero2012
    Options
    This time (last time) I was on a month long holiday travelling around France and my feet/ankles swelled so much I couldn't enjoy site seeing and I felt like I was holding my husband back :(
  • littlejayzee
    Options
    I wasn't at the weight requirement to enlist into the airforce :brokenheart:

Not only that but during school when a group of friends and I would go off campus for lunch I automatically got to sit in the front seat because with me being in the back we wouldn't fit :frown:

Also I noticed that when I would try to run up the stairs in my house, I would be sooo short of breath .
    It really sucked, especially since it's only 15 steps . .
  • lindseydavis07
    lindseydavis07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don’t' think I can pin it on one thing.... I have always been overweight... I would lose some then gain it back plus 20... I had always had this delusion that I would never get over 350... I got on the scale and was at 350 a year ago. I started working out and lost 25... Then I broke my leg and arm. Even after the Dr. cleared me to work out I just didn't and my diet was completely down the drain... My pants were getting uncomfortable tight, I saw a recent picture of myself and tried to play it off saying it was a bad angle, I got more winded than someone should climbing up my stairs. My knees and ankles were killing me... then finally one day I sucked it up and stepped on the scale... I spent the next 4 hours crying.... I was at 375… a number I swore I would NEVER see... I was almost 400 pounds... that was completely unacceptable. That was June 25th, since then I have lost 34 pounds and WILL NOT LOOK BACK!!! I don't want to die at 29 years old!
  • Bazzie0088
    Options
    I had 2 straws:

#1 - My parents came to visit, and I found out my mother is prediabetic with diverticulitis, which was all caused by her lifestyle. She had lost 18 pounds already, after watching her for years and years not care and not try. If she can get those diseases, so can I. If she can do something about it, so can I!

#2- After my parents left, and all the pictures went up on facebook, I didn't even recognize myself. I was totally and completely disgusted with myself. I even thought "how can my husband love someone who looks like THAT?!?"

The next day I joined a gym, cleaned out the cabinets and took my first measurements.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I ended up in the hospital had pnuemonia collapsed lung was smoking 2 packs a day was 150 lbs overweigt. wake up call! have quit smoking 2 yeras ago, have lost about 111lbs so far.
  • DriRose
    DriRose Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My last straw happened last year when I was 17 (18 now) and I realized I had stretch marks on every area you can pretty much get'em, and I wasn't even that over weight. I started working out because I figured if I'm really fit and healthy the fact that I have them won't make me as self-conscious as having them overweight. Now I just work out on the basis of wanting to be healthy and live a long time :)

I started slowly by cutting out junk, processed, and fast foods and soda and lost 15lbs over the year without exercise.

When I joined MFP towards the end of July I weighed 140lbs now with working out at least 5 days a week, only drinking water and tea, and eating 1,200 calories I weigh 133.5/134 (the scale can't decide) and my goal weight is 120-115 (I'm only 5'2).

Good luck to everyone and their goals, they are possible :)

(P.s., it's a good idea to take measurements of the main areas you want to lose weight in - waist, hips, butt, thighs - every few weeks as water weight/bloating can throw off the scale and muscle weighs more than fat for those who are doing a muscle building workout)
  • Victory_or_Death
    Victory_or_Death Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A man and his teenage daughter snuck up behind me and took a picture of me with my shirt off...My wife told me later....

How much worse can it be...I'm probably on the net somewhere on a gross fat person "humorous" site. :sick:

That **** is OVER.
  • ciaokk
    ciaokk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You'll find that once you start exercising (however you do it: walking, gym, weights, etc), you will start to feel better all around---and that will be your motivation....
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Strangers thought I was pregnant!

Before and After pics here: https://tobecrude.wordpress.com/
  • sjanejack
    sjanejack Posts: 158
    Options
    As a little kid, I was small and started getting chubby. Eventually as I got older I got to the point where I was mildly obese. I knew both my parents have diabetes and my mom has had problems because of it since she can eat too many sweets at times. I didn't want to have health problems because I didn't take care of myself. I didn't want to have diabetes, and the more overweight I was, the more likely I would end up getting it. I've lost 50 pounds since then, and it's a great feeling.
This discussion has been closed.