What was your "last straw"???

Options

Replies

• sharon75uk
    sharon75uk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A young boy was walking behind me and started singing about a BIG FAT WOMAN waddling along the road!
    I was almost in tears as I knew it was aimed at me!
    Woke up the next day Monday 10th June and have never looked back :)
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I had been walking around for awhile thinking I was at 235-240, and feeling pretty good about it since my clothes fit better than they had in years. One day I stepped on a scale and saw 264 and realized that at my heaviest I was more likely in the 275-280 range. Being on the wrong side of 250 was just unacceptable because my family deserves better than that. I had been putting it off because I thought I needed a start date, and measurements, and pictures to document my success. After seeing that scale number none of that mattered, I started that day (not sure what day it was, it was a week or two before fathers day) and have not looked back, I'm at 225 which is the lowest I have been in at least 8 years, and I'm not going to quit.

Rigger
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I was at Wally World, bent over to pick up a 40lb bag of dogfood and my jean shorts literally ripped all the way right up the seam!!!!!! lol.....My face went blank cause it was loud... lol...
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    All of the above! waking up tired! looking and feeling like crap. One day I just decided enough was enough. I had started MFP a few times before but when I couldn't fit into summer clothes I just bought last year-that was the last straw!
  • MyseriMapleleaf
    MyseriMapleleaf Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My physical returned a 'high cholesterol'' result at only 27 years of age. That is what got me headed in the right direction. I immediately dropped fast food that isn't a salad or proven 'better for you'. I also stopped drinking sugared drinks- period. After a year of yo-yoing back and forth with MFP and laziness and gaining back every pound I've lost, twice!- I'm back and I'm here to stay until some big stuff happens and hopefully beyond. I'm still terrified of losing weight because of the extra loose skin I will have but I'm doing it anyway and hoping I qualify for tummy tuck financing by then ;)
  • reneekise
    reneekise Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    On my 30th birthday, I was at my heaviest weight and decided I would get healthy.... Then this last December I turned 35 and was 8 pounds heavier than when I turned 30. When I turn 40, I am going to be in the best shape of my life! I have always been a yo-yo dieter, but am totally commited this time and MFP really helps!
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have always been thin my whole life, never broke 108 until I turned 20, bumped up to 125 and then gained about 21 pounds on top of that over the last year. It might not sound like a ton of weight but in that year and with that 21 pounds, these were my last straws:

- I went from a 32A to a 36D. (Still freaks me out.)
    - Developed stretch marks on my thighs...never had a stretch mark before.
    - For the first time in my life, instead of the doctor saying "oh, your weight is perfect!" they said "I see you've gained six pounds since March".
    - Feeling tired, sweaty, sluggish, uncomfortable in my skin.
    - Having to give 99% of my clothes to my little sister.
    - Having to buy an entirely new wardrobe.
    - Buying clothes based solely on comfort (loose, stretchy) rather than comfort AND style.

I also just started an internship where I sit at a desk. I am getting close to graduating and my post-college job will probably be just like that...sitting at a desk. So, I want to get my weight back down and get healthier 1) before that time comes and 2) before I am out of my healthy BMI (and it is scarily close!)
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    On my thirty fifth birthday, I looked in the mirror and said no more. I would always start and stop, but I've stuck it out his time.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I was sitting at the doctors office, ( foot doctor) and I was looking around at all the people with toes missing, with half thier foot gone, with half thier leggs gone, not from war, but from diabeties, and I looked at my feet, getting numb as they were, and I knew my kidney scores were getting worse, ( spilling into my urine) and I was sitting around at 380 pounds, my knees hurt, I had fallen down and broken my Humorous bone mid shaft, and I was having thoughts of just going over the cliff so to speak, and something clicked, I am 50 years old, I FLIPPED THE SWICH inside my head, the fight was on, now I am down 71 pounds and going strong, no more visits to the doc for feet, completely off diabeties meds, and wow, what a differsance so far,, I lost 6 pounds this week alone!
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Was sick and tired of being sick and tired. A new doc finally treating me more appropriately, and along with MFP, I was able to get my life back :smile:
  • mcgeorge5
    mcgeorge5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My legs and ankles and feet retaining so much fluid it hurt to walk. And I had jus turned 40. I had a brand new pair of shoes and wanted to show them off, but when I directed attention to my feet, I was horrified at what they looked like.
  • aldale
    aldale Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Joined mfp about two years ago because a friend of mine wanted to go low carb. A month later I quit logging because the scale was moving slower for me. Then six months after that, I started logging again to try watching my calories. I quit again because the weight was just moving so slowly.

The "last straw" was in Dec. 2012 when I went to the doctor for a rash. My blood pressure was high. I was put on blood pressure meds that made me feel awful. I stopped taking them and started using mfp to track my sodium intake. I have only lost 25 pounds. Guess I will never lose weight as fast as I would like, but my blood pressure is staying normal. Can't seem to get rid of the rash though lol!
  • JuantonBliss
    JuantonBliss Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    When I feel embarassed to be around my friends. I'm not over weight, but I still have a little mid section pudge that just WON'T GO AWAY, and I just don't like bathing suits because of it and I hate that I can't look as cute in the summertime with my friends, or for guys ;), and I've always wanted to wear a bikini because of this. I've never worn one in my life which sounds dumb, but I finally want a nice stomach so that I can feel beautiful on the outside and in instead of just hearing it from others and thinking I just have a pretty face and that's it. I know others can love you for your flaws, but you have to love yourself too.
  • dextersgramps
    dextersgramps Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    being told my A1C blood sugar level was too high and I would have to start taking metformin to lower the levels,but excersise and calorie counting would get my weight down and probably get me off the meds,well now I`m off meds and feel 10 years younger and able to do a lot more without being out of breath.Also my appearance is a lot better and it`s kinda nice when people comment on how much better I look
  • terrimccrery
    terrimccrery Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hahahahaha there are SO many!
    1. My biggest size clothes don't fit
    2. I have chub rub
    3. I hate the way I look in a mirror
    4. I am heavier than when I delivered my first child
    5. I look like my MOTHER! (luv ya mom, but don't wanna look like ya)
  • terrimccrery
    terrimccrery Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Type 2 Diabetes, 43lbs later I'm insulin free...

Congrats!!!!!!!!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Seeing a picture of myself. It wasn't just that my weight was really showing but that I looked miserable. Shortly after that I decided to do something about it.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I saw "250" on the scale. I promised myself I would NEVER see that.

Now it says 199.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I was in plus-size clothes and I was just about to have to go up yet another size.

I refused to buy anymore bigger clothes.

I was also told by my husband that my snoring was getting worse and worse and I was out of breath all the time.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    My best friend telling me she can barely walk bc of chf. Telling me she wrote out a will at 32. I knew I had to try to save a life by leading the way.
This discussion has been closed.