Calorie shocker!

Options

Replies

• kelsmorgan88
    kelsmorgan88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cheese and eggs aren't 'bad' though. They're both great foods.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I was surprised by how FEW calories there are in most vegetables. I knew they were low, but not crazy low. :laugh:
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Quite a few surprises there were, but the big ones for me were bananas, fresh orange juice and just how high cheddar cheese was. Cutbacks in these areas helped, but it's definitely an eye-opener.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hummus!

YES. I used to love hummus. Now I can't usually fit it into my daily calories, although I do still eat it occassionally.
  • TheNavet
    TheNavet Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sausages. I always thought of them as... well, meat I guess, but never fatty meat :noway:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    not just the calories of foods shocked me but also the sugar content .. i mean a medium banana is like 14g of sugar and a large apple is like 25g !! sheesh, who knew ?!?

Bizarrely a ripe banana has a LOT more sugar than a green banana

Not bizarre at all - the sugar develops as a fruit ripens, which is why unripe fruit is sour. (Of course some ripe fruit is sour because its supposed to be! :bigsmile: But you know what I mean!)

As for sausages, a lot depends on the quaity you are buying. I only buy premium brands, always grill and only eat very rarely. They are however a good source of iron (as is all red meat) so you shouldn't cut it out - the iron in spinach (for example) is not so easily absorbed by the body.

And eggs are not particularly high in calories - you can get 2 eggs for the equivalent single serving bag of crisps (25g bag regular Walkers)
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one who is being shocked at the amount of calories in certain foods. Well I put in my orange juice earlier I wanted to cry thinking of how much exercise it'd take to burn those calories.

I haven't read the whole thread, but just jumping in to say - I love orange juice and I used to have a big glass every morning, and I too was quite shocked at the calories.
    So, now I measure 100ml into a glass and top it up with very cold water - it's really nice, you get an acidic/sweet hit, and it's only 40 calories. It was strange for about two days but now it is just the norm.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Mustard--it has more calories than mayonnaise!
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Almost everything is a shocker! I've been on Weight Watchers for 2 years and got tired of paying for it because I wasn't tracking like I should. Then I decided I should do SOMETHING so I didn't gain it all back and here I am! Since WW doesn't look at calories - only fat, fiber. carbs and protein, everything has been a big shock! For example, a pack of apple slices is 90 calories whereas that was ZERO WW points. Needless to say, my snacking on fruits and veggies is not as beneficial as it was before. I think those have been the biggest shocks - just how much things that used to be zero points can add up when you're just looking at calories. On the flip side, exercise earns me far more calories than it did WW activity points. I do miss the "floating" points for the week, I wish we had "floating" calories.

LOL - floating calories. THAT would be nice!

Well, the good new is that we have exactly that. :flowerforyou:

To lose weight, we're eating at a deficit. All WW does is assign you points allowances that will keep members doing that. They factor the satiety quotient and the calories through the fat, protein, fiber, and carbs) and assign a point value. If you "eat your points," you are eating at your assigned deficit to meet your rate of loss goal. They didn't used to count the starchy veggies and fruits as zero points and there has been some controversy about doing it now. But they are "as beneficial" to you as before, just not on paper, if that makes sense. However, when I did WW once, my group leader (a really cute Southern lady) said, "Honey, we didn't all get here from eating apples. If you want a large one, well, you eat a large one."

If you want to eat a little of the cushion, those are your bonus points, and you can still lose weight as long as you don't eat more than you burn, but you will lose a little slower.

If you log exercise, those calories are also "floating" - you can choose for yourself whether to eat them or any part of them back.

Yes you can have "floating calories"! Just aim to be on target for the week instead of meeting it exactly every day. For example, I plan to go out for a meal tonight and will undoubtedly have higher calorie intake and no gym trip either, so I just eat a bit lower the other days of the week to balance it out.

On topic: my major shockers have been:
    - Drinks, particularly cordials, full fat latte, alcohol (this seems to be a pretty common response!)
    - Pitta bread / flat bread - one can be 250-300 kcal and doesn't seem that big
    - Cheese, I knew it was high calorie but not that high
    - Oils, so high cal for 1 tablespoon!
    - Pasta and rice, mainly just due to portion size way too high

I am a bit of an idiot for not realising the calories in either cheese or oils as I knew they were mostly just fat, which is very calorie dense. But somehow I did not put 2 and 2 together...

Agree with everyone else that there is no point in cutting things out completely if they are high calorie. You can do a simple switch like full fat to skinnny latte, or make sure you have a sensible portion size. I still like pasta, I just make sure I only have 75g pasta and plenty of healthy sauce plus a side salad. That is plenty filling enough really. No need for a huge plate of stodge!

(edited to correct my horrible spelling)
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Cheese,
    KFC :grumble:
    and the sugar in fruit.:noway:
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I feel ya I drank at least a liter a day for years. Decided to change my habits in February, stopped soda in march and am now down 62 pounds. It gets easier.
  • blg5
    blg5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Juice was my shocker too. I don't drink juices anymore. Instead I eat fruit or have an iced tea with a little juice in it for sweetener.
  • flab2fit_30
    Options
    Here's another Shocker, Quinoa are crazy high in cal's

But Quinoa is super healthy for you.... Use this in place of rice or potatoes and your getting a lot more nutrients for your calories.
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    A single digestive biscuit not a good food but shocking how bad they are, but like has been said some foods its a balancing act not just about the calorific value, a lot of nuts that are very good for you and have great nutrients are sky high in calories.

Yes, the digestive biscuits ...they are sooooooooooooo high but so yummy !
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that drinking your calories is pretty foolish if you are on a diet. juices, smoothies, regular sodas, sugary teas and coffee are a waste of calories. I have water, black tea and coffee and diet sodas, and now I get to eat more!! also, there is not a huge difference in cals between some diet foods and the regular versions, which are always more satisying. for example, buying diet cereal bars to have when you want something sweet. they are 90 to 130 cals for a small one, and don't taste as good as some normal chocolate. i have a cadburys freddo bar which is 20p in the uk and only 95 cals. and is real chocolate.

Also crisps are the same. Baked low cal crisps taste crap, and are about 100 cals. And they don't taste like crisps, so you still want crisps when you've finished them. But a 25g bag of normal crisps is 130 cals. 30 cals is not much of a saving. I buy the walkers multipack, 20 packets of different flavours for about 3 pounds and have a pack a day. I would never give up crisps or chocolate, I just have the sensible choice and log it in. concentrate using the majority of your cals on protein sources served with some green veg and you will be surprised how many cals you will have to play around with. then you can use them on bread, chocolate, crisps etc. Peanut butter is the one thing I miss most though, its just not worth 130 cals to have 20g, which fits on a teaspoon!! i am tempted by PB2 though, despite the price.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    not just the calories of foods shocked me but also the sugar content .. i mean a medium banana is like 14g of sugar and a large apple is like 25g !! sheesh, who knew ?!?

That is natural sugar though, don't confuse that with added or refined sugar. Unless you have some medical reason to cut naturally occuring sugars then don't worry about going over.
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I also miss hard cheese, like peanut butter it is rarely worth spending your calories on. I just don't have it.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    It wasn't so much the calories but the salt in .....Top Ramen. Over 1,400mg and I couldn't believe it. I haven't eaten my noodles in 2 months. I also was surprised that my favorite foods like Mexican, were the worst. Even my favorite drinks...Long island or Margaritas were 600-700 calories a glass. I haven't had any of these things. They all work against everything that I am working for.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    I also miss hard cheese, like peanut butter it is rarely worth spending your calories on. I just don't have it.

What? Natural nut butters are one of the best sources of healthy fats out there! Totally worth "wasting" calories on! Not to mention, perfect calorie fillers!
  • rduhlir
    Options
    It wasn't so much the calories but the salt in .....Top Ramen. Over 1,400mg and I couldn't believe it. I haven't eaten my noodles in 2 months. I also was surprised that my favorite foods like Mexican, were the worst. Even my favorite drinks...Long island or Margaritas were 600-700 calories a glass. I haven't had any of these things. They all work against everything that I am working for.

You can find skinny margaritas which are only like 150-200 calories a glass. Ruby Tuesdays has them.