How Do Non-Smokers Handle Stress?

Options
Smokers, when they have stressful moments will simply light up, feel the endorphins flow, feel better and carry on... What in the world do non-smokers do? I have now been officially "QUIT" all the way for 74 hours, or 3 days and 2 hours... LOL! I have smoked for some 30 years.... What do I replace the nicotine with during stressful times when a cig would make me feel better but I refuse to do that any more?

I am quitting smoking, getting healthier, dieting, trying to break my ice chewing habit due to low iron and refusing to buy any more soda - ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Any advice would be so very much appreciated!

So how do you non-smokers cope with stress that used to use cigarettes as your crutch as I did?

stressed.jpg

Replies

• TodayImEvolving
    TodayImEvolving Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Honestly?

Mortal Combat.

:drinker:

Seriously though, my mother quit smoking after 35 years and now she is addicted to spearmint gum. She swears by it.
  • CandelLife
    CandelLife Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mortal Combat! I hadn't thought of that! *Chuckle* I hear the gum idea a lot and many people swear by it but I can't chew gum so it's not an option... Congrats to your mother though!

Edit... ok so truth be known, I can't replace it with gum or anything chewy or crunchy like carrot sticks or celery sticks. It's a dental issue.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Wow! I can't remember quitting, it's been so long ago. You'll be so glad you BTW, good onya to you!

To relieve stress I run - sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. Yoga works for me also (learning to breath to calm yourself). I've heard that in place stretching and muscle clench and release is good, too.

If you are hankering for something in your mouth I still chew a lot of sugar free gum (25 years later) and eat celery (chew, chew, chew!!).

Good luck :)
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Due to ongoing medical treatment for my enlarged liver, spleen and uterus - I can't go running or jogging or biking right now, though I will be taking that back up a few months down the road when I get to the other side of this.

What about walking? Go for a walk each time? I've made up my mind to do all this regardless of my current obstacles, so please don't see it as "excuses" - I'm serious about this.
  • heatherlas
    Options
    Run. Or any other type of exercise. If I'm at work and can't handle much more, I go and take a walk around the lake we have near our building. Taking Pilates at lunch a couple times a week also helps. And this will help you with your goal of getting healthier.

And sometimes screaming helps. ;)
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke, now I run. A lot. :laugh: :laugh: It is so much better than smoking! Good for you for quitting! Hang in there, it gets easier. I like running becuase your lungs feel so strong and clean afterwards. You can work your way up to running by walking and throwing little jogs in there, using an app like Couch 2 5 K. Give it a try!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I didn't see your post about not being able to run, but walking works too, especially if you can walk up hills. That will get your lungs ready for when you can run again. :happy:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    They get on the internet and argue with strangers on weight loss forums.
  • CandelLife
    Options
    Screaming sounds awesome! laugh.gif

Running is definitely on my list as soon as my doctors clear me for it. I miss it, that's how I lost the weight before.
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I eat, hence me being on my fitness pal.
  • EmilyM_1986
    Options
    I took all my quit-smoking anger/stress out on dairy milk chocolate buttons... That's kinda how I ended up here though so that's probably not the best option :noway:

If you can't have gum, try sucking extra strong mints - this helped me when I ran out of chocolate.

And if you're in a relationship, send some anger their way. They probably won't appreciate it, but it'll make you feel better! My boyfriend didn't mind putting up with it because he hated the smoking more than he hated me being a stroppy-pants.

Good on you for quitting :drinker:
  • CandelLife
    Options
    They get on the internet and argue with strangers on weight loss forums.

Hey!! I could combine the screaming with the arguing, two for one deal!!!
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke, never have and would still love to know this ha ha
  • crazorbaq
    crazorbaq Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Definately try sugarless gum and getting active however you may need to do it. Walk, run, weights, anything to get you moving. That and get out and get some sunshine. :)
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I never smoked so I'm not sure but you're changing a lot in one go I must admit, think that will make it harder for you. Not impossible, just harder that's all.
    But I would recommend maybe getting some boxing gloves and a punchbag. Failing that a husband who you can use for support / punchbag. :)
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    When i quit, I would walk a LOT when I was feeling stressed out. I didn't want to put things into my mouth out of fear I would put more food into it instead of gum, for example. Even while at work, I would just get up and go walk it off. That's probably how I only ended up doing like 40 minutes of actual work per day, but who cares. I didn't lose my mind or kill anyone that way (;
  • CandelLife
    Options
    well theres drugs, music, and sex........give two of those a try and ill add in exercise:)

I have enough prescription drugs to fill a pharmacy right now! LOL! Not what you meant? I'll assume you did... music is an aphrodisiac for sure! Sex = best exercise in the world and the last, of course, I keep coming back to as the best response of all, exercise exercise exercise.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I breathe deeply and consciously
    If I have time I make a cup of coffee or tea ( by " make " I mean , I prepare it by hand starting to grind the coffee beans etc, because the ritual calms me down and distracts me )
    meditate
    read
    listen to music
    garden,
    write
    cook
    if I have to get rid of nervous energy or anxiety ; I walk

PS: I learned to meditate when I stopped smoking 27 years ago, after having given it 13 different unsuccessful attempts. That time, luckily, I was successful......:o).
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I have yet to figure this out. I quit smoking for 4 years and started again after a major, stressful life change. I've just quit again (1 and 1/2 months) and I am just a raging b!tch when I'm stressed right now. I do keep an ecig on hand when I really have the urge to throw it away and light up. So far, so good.