Going out for Mexican food on Saturday night! Help!!!

Options
So I have dinner plans with friends on Saturday night and we're going to an authentic Mexican restaurant. I'm trying to plan ahead and calculate the calories of various dishes so I can make a decent decision. I've been sticking to my nutrition plan very closely for almost a month and have only strayed twice and each time it was for a brownie. I'd like to indulge a little because I LOVE, love, love Mexican food, but yet I also don't want to completely overdo it. I also plan to have a margarita on the rocks.

Any suggestions on what I should get? I like anything Mexican, other than dishes that contain shrimp. Thanks all!

Replies

• hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Last time I had mexican ( i tend to limit it because all the good places are local and won't have nutrition facts) I got a taco salad. It had grilled chicken, pico, and lettuce on it. Didn't even need a dressing. I didn't eat the taco shell bowl but did let myself have a few chips and salsa and a margarita. I still got the mexican flare without so many calories. Although I do LOVE enchiladas. mmhmm.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I love Mexican food too!! Taco salad or a tostada is a good option (without the deep fried shell). Or maybe skip the rice and beans and get carne asada or fajitas...
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I'm into tacos so I went with that option last time we did Mexican (I know some folks say they aren't really Mexican but they are what I like). I figured out how many I could have before we went and ended up at 3 of them plus chips and salsa. I think the key is to get what is going to satisfy your craving so you won't binge eat later.

My strategy is slightly different than just counting cals though. I also worked my *kitten* off the day before (Friday since we were going out Saturday). I did my normal morning jog of 4 or so miles but I added a 1.5 mile walk at night and a mini ab workout (I freaking hate working out so all my workouts are minis). I also tend to go with calories over the week versus calories per day. So I saved up 50 - 100 for four days before. Workout and saved cals came up to about 350 extra cals I could "spend" so f I slipped it was no real issue. I do not take calories off the following week because I'm a big cheater and I cannot make myself do it.

I do the same thing right before that time of the month. I know I'm going to want Moose Tracks ice cream and I might have to end the life of anyone who tries to withhold it (including myself), so I save up some cals from my daily count and do some extra workouts so I can have a mamba jamba bowl of it 2 days in a row :).
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    No tortillas!

Eat some shrimp, or maybe some mariscos.
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Veggie fajitas with corn tortillas are usually my go to meal. That way I can control what goes on it. Ask them to omit any toppings that might be calorie bombs like guac (although awesome) and sour cream.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are usually my choice, without the tortillas, light on cheese and sour cream. Taco salads are good with chicken, but have to be careful on all the add-ons such as tortilla strips and dressing.

On the other hand, have a little fun. If you've done well all week, you deserve a little treat. Make good choices but don't sweat too much if you go over a little bit. Just get back at it on Sunday morning.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I personally, get what I want and enjoy it.

You may want to try to eat a light breakfast and lunch. Try to save up for it... :)
  • doubleohstatus
    Options
    @leslisa thats def what i do. I save a few cals during the week knowing that i will be going out Friday/Saturday night or know that my cheat meal is coming that weekend.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I would just eat what you want ...ask for a take home container and split the meal before you even start ...saving the rest for the next day..this is life your going to have to live it. Why panic? Just have yogurt and fruit for breakfast and PBJ and banana for lunch
  • damedame
    damedame Posts: 113 Member
    Options

You may want to try to eat a light breakfast and lunch. Try to save up for it... :)

this.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I usually order fajitas with grilled chicken and/or steak; no beans and rice; no tortillas. Guac is full of good fats and they never bring much (or much chz and sour cream FTM) at out local place so I use a wee bit of sour cream, guac and cheese

ETA: I almost always have about a dozen chips with the queso dip the rest of my family demands- so that is my primary indulgence
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i usually get a taco salad too, since it has veggies, meat that isn't fried, and is tasty anyways. put salsa or some guac (yes, high in cals, but avocado is good for you) on it instead of dressing and sour cream. and i usually try my hardest to avoid the chips - but much easier said than done.

and don't get too caught up on numbers. it's ok to enjoy life, too. sometimes that means eating what you like and having a margarita. :flowerforyou:
  • Zina1963
    Zina1963 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually stick to Chicken Fajita with corn tortillas at a mexican restaurant, and eat either the beans or rice - not both. There is sometimes another good choice that has a whole chicken breast grilled with veggies on top. Not sure what it's called. My biggest challenge is the chip basket! It's the devil!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    So I have dinner plans with friends on Saturday night and we're going to an authentic Mexican restaurant. I'm trying to plan ahead and calculate the calories of various dishes so I can make a decent decision. I've been sticking to my nutrition plan very closely for almost a month and have only strayed twice and each time it was for a brownie. I'd like to indulge a little because I LOVE, love, love Mexican food, but yet I also don't want to completely overdo it. I also plan to have a margarita on the rocks.

Any suggestions on what I should get? I like anything Mexican, other than dishes that contain shrimp. Thanks all!

If you go to a real authentic Mexican restaurant, I would suggest you eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup of rice, the same amount of " frijoles de olla " ( whole beans with no fat ) and maybe a " carne asada " or a " pechuga asada " ( beef or chicken breast from the grill ) together with lots of Pico de Gallo. You probably can add 2-3 corn tortillas ( at 50-55 calories each )or that amount's worth of baked " totopos " ( chips ) with some salsa. This is pretty much what I eat as my way to lose weight ( 35 pounds since April 10th ) and what is considered a healthy, more low cal meal here in Mexico. If however the restaurant is Tex-Mex, I am sorry I have no idea what to tell you.

ETA: The rice and beans together make a whole protein...
  • ravvykaur
    Options
    I would indulge so as to not be the fussy eater at the table, but only go over the daily calorie count by say 100/200!

Stick to whole wheat if you're having burritos, and chicken, lots of veg and salads!

You will be full in no time :)
  • itsscottwilder
    Options

+1
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options

Agreed! On days where I know I'm going out to eat later (today for example!) I eat a light breakfast, light lunch, and make sure to exercise in the morning.

I'll still order what I want, but within reason. Often I'll make sure to only eat half of my food and take the rest home, or split an entree with a friend.
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slideshow/10-ways-eat-healthy-mexican-cantina

http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/aa050207a.htm

Fajitas, taco salad, enchiladas, tacos. Try to avoid anything fried, obviously. And anything smothered in cheese. Go for grilled, if possible. They usually have a lot of entrees set aside from the usual "combinations" that are grilled - seafood or chicken especially. Rice packs a decent amount of calories, but is probably okay in moderation, but not if you are having beans too. I'd go one or the other and black over refried beans if they have them. Nachos are a no go unless you get them with shredded over melted cheese and go for something like fajita nachos with more veggies and meat. Still, the chips pack a lot of calories. You can probably halve any portion they give you and save the rest for later unless you go for a healthy entree. I usually get a grilled steak or chicken burrito. Nothing fried there and a healthier protein, but there are lots of options if you look over the menu thoroughly. Also I'd try not to fill up too much on chips. Salsa is very healthy and doesn't have a lot of calories, but if you go nuts on those fried chips, you'll consume a lot. Moderate yourself there and stay away from dips like guac or queso. A lot of entrees allow you to do a salad too, and you can always skip the taco shell.

Yay for margaritas! Def worth it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Go have fun and practice real world portion control...novel concept I know...
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Agreed! On days where I know I'm going out to eat later (today for example!) I eat a light breakfast, light lunch, and make sure to exercise in the morning.

I'll still order what I want, but within reason. Often I'll make sure to only eat half of my food and take the rest home, or split an entree with a friend.

So this. Go easy the rest of the day so you have more calories reserved for dinner. And pack leftovers if you can. You can always throw in some extra exercise and really kill it so you won't feel guilty about it. If I really splurge on a meal, I push myself extra hard the next day.