But I don't like <insert name of food here> !!!

Options

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    oh! I tried skinny cow ice cream products - yucky!!

I managed to find ice cream that have the same cals as skinny cow and still yummy! Or I go to Mc D's and get a small ice cream cone and it's only 150cals!! =)

I just wanted to say first off that you're before and during pictures are awesome! You look great!

I don't love yogurt, but I eat it because I know it's good for me. Same with carrots and salmon.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Beautiful!:love:
    antiox-picture.gif
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Very nice post Trenton.. trying new foods out has made meals far more interesting!
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My husband encourages me to try new things and I do.. more than once most times, but there are just some things I can't stand.

I don't really like any types of lettace. I try real hard to eat it, I nibble at it, but there comes a point where I spit it out and would rather not eat.

I don't like yogart either and I'm sick of trying new flavors... bla.

I say try it.. try it more than once... but if you still can't stand it, find something else.... as long as it's heatly to... you should enjoy your food somewhat, it's something you have to do everyday.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    I HATE onions and peppers.....seriously....have tried them every which a way you can fix them.....can't stand them! Have given them a fair shake. I think most people do before they honestly say they HATE something!
  • sniffles
    Options
    :) I don't eat what I don't like - same as others have said.

My issue is more there ARE foods I like but when I eat them they make me sick and that makes me sad. ):

Peppers (and variety), for example... when I eat them my ears buzz and I usually experience dizzy spells shortly after eating them.
    Potatos - shortly after eating I break out into hives.
    Green Beans - Usually eating these is followed by a horribly upset stomach.
    Garlic - See Pepper reaction and multiple it by two.
    Eggs - Give me the gas from hell. No, really, it's straight from hell... and smells just about as bad. Sometimes they'll also inspire headaches (probably from the gas).

Seems like the list just grows and grows the more I try to introduce myself to new vegetables.

So... *sigh* I just have to stick with a non-varied diet. *shrug* Whatever. Won't kill me to take multi-vitamins. :)

All I really have to say is while it's good to push your boundaries and try to 'relearn' how to eat foods you used to hate, it's not good to restrict your diet to things you despise. Eventually you WILL crack and return to junk foods. So mix in those foods you hate with the stuff you love. It's a good way to introduce something you wouldn't otherwise like.

My roommate, for example, hates cooked peas. UNLESS she includes them in a stew and only in small portions. Now, peas aren't going to make or break her diet but she still makes the effort to throw a few in because she knows I love them. Hee.
  • njjbosse
    Options
    i feel like tons of people on here are really picking at the minutea. i don't think the message he was trying to send is "pick the foods you like the least and eat them all the time" it was more about not ruling out different types of foods just because you made the decision in your mind that you didn't like them a long time ago. It's less "eat beets" and more "don't just eat mac and cheese" no diet is going to work if you hate everything you're eating, but if the last time you ate a lima bean you were 11 years old and you're 35 now, it's worth the nutritional benefits of just trying them again. Personally i love candy, i've lost 50 lbs in the last 8 months and if anyone was to tell me "you can't eat candy" i'd freak, but as much as i hate to admit it, one cannot live on candy alone, so i toss in some salads and lean meats etc. because that's how you make a lasting commitment to losing and maintaining a healthy weight. people don't need to continue posting things like "well i hate carrots so i'm not eating them" we're not kids and i don't think he was trying to attack anyone.
  • sniffles
    Options
    njjbosse - Actually I think there are a lot of assumptions going on all over here.

1st. You assume everyone hates certain foods just because they hated them as a child.
    2nd. We are all assuming OP is suggesting we only eat foods we hate (IE: Healthy foods we hate) because it's good for us.

We AREN'T kids, and it's kind of silly to assume we're all acting on rules we learned as children. As a child I hated rice, now I love it. As a child I loved beets, now I hate them. My childhood has very little to do with my food preferences.

Approaching people and telling them to grow up (although this isn't exactly what was said - I'm using extreme paraphrasing here ;) and try foods they hate isn't really going to encourage healthy eating. Giving examples on how to use those foods we hate in recipes that will make those icky foods tolerable? Now that's helpful. :)

We should totally make this into a recipe thread!!!!

I think we should start with yogurt. HOW does one make yogurt tolerable to those who dislike it? Easy. Smoothies. :) Blend in some yogurt with tons of fruit and some vegetables and TA DA. Tolerable, yummy treat. :D Anybody else got some recipes which include commonly hated ingredients?
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Poor accountant_boi. I don't think he was pinpointing any one person or any particular thing. Its just that every day or so someone wants advice on how to eat healthy, but then adds at the end something like "I only like chicken, ground beef and pasta." Well, you're obviously going to have to branch out a bit.

I don't think he means pick something you hate and gag on it until you get it down. I think its seriously that most people don't give food a fair shake because when they were 5 it was gross. But all of your cells are new every 7 years (I think - feel free to correct if I'm wrong) and stuff you couldn't stomach before might not be awful now. There was a time in my life that I hated mushrooms, zucchini and squash. Oh, and tomatoes. I recently made a meatless lasagna including all those things. And it was awesome.

If you "hate" it, but it's been more than a decade since the last time your mom tried to force it on you.... give it a shot. Just a quick one. Remember that your cells are actually new and might read it a different way. AND its all in the way you cook it.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Could be the way the food was prepared the first time you tried it too that makes you "think" you don't like it. I say "think" because all my life I thought I hated sweet potatoes because I DID detest candied sweet potatoes but come to find out I love sweet potatoes ANY way but candied!

SOOOO if you think you hate something, think about how it was prepared when you ate it and maybe try it a different way :wink:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    No matter how onions are prepared, they are always gross.

I think it is a good thing to try new foods, but when you tell people on a diet that they should ingest foods they detest, a great number of people will just say "I give up." I personally like to work around things like that by making new healthy recipes that perhaps omit things I hate, like onions. :)

It's like exercise...if you hate doing it, you won't do it. And you may never find what you like to do if you keep doing what you hate doing and just quit.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    i feel like tons of people on here are really picking at the minutea. i don't think the message he was trying to send is "pick the foods you like the least and eat them all the time" it was more about not ruling out different types of foods just because you made the decision in your mind that you didn't like them a long time ago. It's less "eat beets" and more "don't just eat mac and cheese" no diet is going to work if you hate everything you're eating, but if the last time you ate a lima bean you were 11 years old and you're 35 now, it's worth the nutritional benefits of just trying them again. Personally i love candy, i've lost 50 lbs in the last 8 months and if anyone was to tell me "you can't eat candy" i'd freak, but as much as i hate to admit it, one cannot live on candy alone, so i toss in some salads and lean meats etc. because that's how you make a lasting commitment to losing and maintaining a healthy weight. people don't need to continue posting things like "well i hate carrots so i'm not eating them" we're not kids and i don't think he was trying to attack anyone.
    This is how I read it as well.:flowerforyou:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify - I'm not saying that people should force themselves to eat foods they hate, I'm just saying that people need to open their minds and give a variety of foods a fair chance. Too many people seriously limit what they eat because they're either afraid to try new things or they've just always thought they hated something. It's why so many people don't eat enough veggies - they get bored of the few they do eat and end up not eating enough. Many people hate things as a kid, and learn they love them as an adult.

Try something new every week, and before you write something off, try a different preparation method - it really can make a huge difference. I hate cooked carrots by themselves, but as part of stew/soup, I don't even notice them.

Maybe people are missing this clarification that I posted??

I'm not saying that if you really hate something, that you should force yourself to eat it. I'm not saying you should *only* eat healthy foods that you don't like. Everyone has different tastes. If you don't like tomatoes/onions/bananas/whatever, don't eat them.

I agree that to be successful, you have to enjoy what you are eating (for the most part).

I'm just saying that our tastes do change over the course of our life. I know from personal experience that many people tend to decide they don't like something based off of a poorly prepared dish or based off of old memories or something like that. (Ex. I tried Tofu one time and it came out horribly, but then I had some that was very well prepared a year or two later and it was spectacular. ) I also know that you can learn to like something (my experience with salads without dressing).

Some people are very close-minded when it comes to food, and I think that is a very unfortunate attitude. Mostly, I'm just trying to encourage people to give some foods another try - especially if it's been awhile since they've had it, and I'm trying to emphasize how important it is to be willing to try new foods. You never know when you'll discover a new favorite food! (Which happened to me when I tried spaghetti squash. :smile: ) If you dislike black beans, don't assume you'll dislike Chickpeas or kidney beans. If you don't like yogurt plain, maybe you'll like fruit smoothies that are made with some yogurt. There are so many ways to use various foods! Imagination and creativity (and an open mind) will take you so far in the kitchen. :drinker:
  • sniffles
    Options
    If you don't like yogurt plain, maybe you'll like fruit smoothies that are made with some yogurt. There are so many ways to use various foods! Imagination and creativity (and an open mind) will take you so far in the kitchen. :drinker:

That's far more useful then much of what's been said. :)

But you shouldn't assume people dislike food just because they disliked it as a child. I'm pretty sure most of us aren't using our childhood discernment to judge what foods we like now... although I could be wrong. It's been awhile since I hung out in this forum.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    If you don't like yogurt plain, maybe you'll like fruit smoothies that are made with some yogurt. There are so many ways to use various foods! Imagination and creativity (and an open mind) will take you so far in the kitchen. :drinker:

But you shouldn't assume people dislike food just because they disliked it as a child. I'm pretty sure most of us aren't using our childhood discernment to judge what foods we like now... although I could be wrong. It's been awhile since I hung out in this forum.

I don't assume everyone dislikes things because they disliked it as a kid. I know some people feel that way, but other people simply eat a dish (at whatever age) that was prepared poorly, or it was a bad combination of foods, or something like that, and it leaves them with a bad memory of something. If you look at my original post, I don't even mention disliking foods as a kid. The reason you dislike foods doesn't matter. I'm saying people should give foods a fair shot (prepare them different ways, try different combinations, etc.) before they write off a wonderfully healthy food from their diet.
  • sniffles
    Options

I don't assume everyone dislikes things because they disliked it as a kid. I know some people feel that way, but other people simply eat a dish (at whatever age) that was prepared poorly, or it was a bad combination of foods, or something like that, and it leaves them with a bad memory of something. If you look at my original post, I don't even mention disliking foods as a kid. The reason you dislike foods doesn't matter. I'm saying people should give foods a fair shot (prepare them different ways, try different combinations, etc.) before they write off a wonderfully healthy food from their diet.

Fair enough. Your Original Post did not mention disliking food as a kid, the post I was responding to did mention this. :)

Anyway, that's why I suggested we make this a recipe thread. To show people how to combine those bad foods properly! ;)
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I think it's self defeating when someone says they "hate" vegetables, or water, or whatever other healthy change that has been suggested. I think it's a mindset that needs to be changed to be successful.

People come here to lose weight, get healthier, etc. But a lot of people complain about the process, which I understand, venting is good, but come on. If you don't like the way you look/feel/are living, you're gonna have to change something! And obviously, if you're not eating lots of vegetables, because you hate them, well, then maybe eating vegetables will get you where you want to go.

Same with trying to eat whole grain as opposed to refined grains. Eventually, it becomes normal to eat whole wheat pasta, as opposed to white pasta, etc. If you want to make the change bad enough.

Obviously, we have tastes, likes and dislikes, but to exclude an entire food group seems like a real problem to me.

If I could be healthy eating only deep fried foods like onion rings or fried calamari, that would be the way I would go. But I can't, so, I've learned to love healthier fare. AND I feel so much better having started to eat that way.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Good topic.

Our tastebuds definitely do "mature" I think. Have to take a risk and try something which you didn't used to like just to check I reckon :P

I will eat just about anything (after living in Japan :P) but I still dislike mushrooms. I don't think it is the taste so much but moreso the texture which is odd as it is sort of like seafood which I absolutely love? I eat plenty of vegetables anyway so currently sticking to the basics.

Also, used to hate oats, now have them every day. Used to HATE UHT milk, now I drink nothing but UHT milk. We definitely change so give it a go. You may just be surprised :)

JennaGermain: try chopping a banana and freezing it. I don't know why but it makes it taste a lot sweeter. Great little healthy snack IMO.

BTW I had no idea people didn't like lettuce. I didn't really realise that it even had a flavour :P

Re tofu: that is a very tricky one as it basically takes the flavour of whatever it is cooked with. I can see how someone could automatically dismiss it if they had it cooked with some "funky" flavours.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Not liking a food now because you didn't like it as a child isn't always the case, but it DOES happen :tongue: I loved vegetables even as a kid...still do...but the one I hated was asparagus. I had not tried it since I was a teen, I think? Well, I decided to try it again a few weeks ago and now I love it :love:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I think it's self defeating when someone says they "hate" vegetables, or water, or whatever other healthy change that has been suggested. I think it's a mindset that needs to be changed to be successful.

People come here to lose weight, get healthier, etc. But a lot of people complain about the process, which I understand, venting is good, but come on. If you don't like the way you look/feel/are living, you're gonna have to change something! And obviously, if you're not eating lots of vegetables, because you hate them, well, then maybe eating vegetables will get you where you want to go.

Same with trying to eat whole grain as opposed to refined grains. Eventually, it becomes normal to eat whole wheat pasta, as opposed to white pasta, etc. If you want to make the change bad enough.

Obviously, we have tastes, likes and dislikes, but to exclude an entire food group seems like a real problem to me.

If I could be healthy eating only deep fried foods like onion rings or fried calamari, that would be the way I would go. But I can't, so, I've learned to love healthier fare. AND I feel so much better having started to eat that way.

Thanks for trying to explain this subject in another way. This is exactly how I feel... Self-defeating is a great way to describe it when people say they dislike a whole food group/category. People do have genuine likes/dislikes - which is fine - but sometimes people just have to get over old mindsets and embrace change to discover a whole new set of food opportunities available to them.