How do you like your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thank u thank u thank u ! I was looking for a crockpot recipie!
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Bump! I've been on an oatmeal kick for breakfast the past week...but my oatmeal needs more in it to keep me fuller longer! Can't wait to try the banana and pumpkin! YUM!
  • Raynedancer
    Raynedancer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bumpity-bump...and ty, all :flowerforyou:
  • am_lowe
    am_lowe Posts: 113
    Options
    my oatmeal becomes rather stiff as it cools, so i can cut into it sort of like rice pudding. so with each bite i get a little bit of all the stuff on top without mixing it so i can taste every ingredient individually. that's what i mean about "autonomous oatmeal."

this is how my 14 yr old son likes his. except he adds a splash of milk after the oats set up. so then it becomes something like oat-clusters-and-milk. i don't know how he started eating it like this, but if i stir in the milk he says i ruin it. lol
  • am_lowe
    Options
    i *love* this thread... i'm trying to turn my kids onto old fashioned oats instead of instant oatmeal. yesterday three of them tried pb and banana. one of them loved it. the other two, not so much. it was too rich, i think. shoulda added less pb. but there are so many more ideas here to try!

what about.... a tsp of maranatha dark chocolate almond and/or almond butter?
  • am_lowe
    Options
    I use the instant oatmeal. I know its not the best but delicious just the same.
    Anyone else go for the instant?

LOVE kashi's go lean vanilla instant oatmeal. and you can't beat 7g of fiber! i add strawberries and vanilla almond milk. so good! or raisins, bananas, and pecan chips.
  • vlynnvale
    vlynnvale Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Quaker Maple & Brown Sugar Weight Loss Oatmeal with a chopped up banana...sometimes a bit of flax seed. :smile:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Today I did 1/2 cup quick cooking oats, 1 cup water , 1 cup frozen (microwaved) raspberries, 2 teaspoons honey, and maybe 1/4 tsp of a mixture of nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon. Yesterday I did the same but with a frozen berry medley and sprayed a little butter in and that was quite delicious as well. :happy: Also really good if you had one of those tiny vanilla creamers, yum!
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    as a kid i was brought up on quaker oats but now i live in a place where i cant obtain them and was wondering how i could make 'porridge' with the raw oats i can get hold of here--as a side i was told by my doctor i have slightly raised cholesteral and oats are an ideal 'remedy so it has a serious edge!
  • lhiatt
    Options
    hahaha yeahhh!
  • lhiatt
    Options
    I like mine two ways...one with a few pecans, half a banana and Splenda brown sugar blend. ORRRR, and apple diced up, a little of the brown sugar blend, pecans and cinnamon. Both faves of mine!!
  • thelgeson
    Options
    Dry oatmeal, FF Plain Yogurt, blueberries and honey
  • am_lowe
    Options
    Dry oatmeal, FF Plain Yogurt, blueberries and honey

i have never tried raw oats in yogurt. (just no bakes!) will have to try now.

this reminded me of something- when i was in jr high, my best friends and i used to make pancakes on saturday mornings, except one day we didn't have enough mix, so we threw oats into the batter. they were so good, we started making them every weekend. forgot all about them until just now.
  • jzbaby626
    Options
    I defrost either some frozen strawberries or a raspberry/blackberry mix and mix it with either brown sugar or cream of strawberry oatmeal. The fruit juice that comes from the fruit when its defrosted is really good flavor for the oatmeal!
    A lot of these ideas sound good! Im gonna have to have me some oatmeal for breakfast tomorrow!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    It's simple.
    In a pan put 1/2 a cup of porridge oats and a cup of either milk or half milk & water or just plain water. I like half soy milk & half water.
    Cook over a medium heat, stirring all the time, till its got to the consistency you like. Serve.

I like to add a teaspoon of honey and some berries to mine.
  • kristinks
    Options
    WOW... after reading all of these ideas I feel pretty boring! This is how I eat (or used to eat my oatmeal). :o)

1/2 c. organic rolled oats
    1/4c. blueberries
    1c. water
    1TBLS. sucanat (similar to brown sugar)
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    With Ben and Jerry's on the side? :D
  • maogdamian
    maogdamian Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like big whole oats, not the instant, much better texture IMO.

I like a splash of almond milk and blueberries. I use raisins and/or shredded coconut if out of blueberries.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I bet I'm the only one who does this, but I'm sure more of you will after you try it. When you're in the mood for a fattening dessert, but don't want the fat and calories, do this instead:

I packet instant oatmeal of your choice (or the regular stuff if you want to go through all that trouble), prepared, with milk or water - your choice.
    Add in 1 tbsp (or less) of your favorite butter substitute (I use Smart Balance with calcium)
    Add in 1 tbsp (or less ((or more))) of your favorite all natural fruit preserves or jam or jelly or whatever
    Top with 1 tbsp of Cool whip or other fat free whipped topping.
    Stir and Enjoy :)

It's so good, I want some right now!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    That sounds good :)

Oh yeah, sometimes if I am at work and feeling a bit peccish, when I make a hot drink (tea,coffee or mocha) I will just dump a few teaspoons of oats into it. Keep spoon in cup and eat them when you get to the bottom :)