Can stopping drinking diet soda help me lose weight? Why?

Options
12346»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ok so someone told me that if I quit drinking diet soda I'll lose more weight. Why is that? Is it true? Why is it "diet" then if that is the case? I'm kind of confused and feel kind of dumb for asking but I'm like the cat I have tons of curiosity lol
    It's zero calories. There are so many fallacies about diet soda out there by bloggers, opinionists, and so called "health gurus" that can't seem to back them up with actual peer reviewed clinical studies.
    For what it's worth, diet soda has no nutritional value, but I drink it for the "sweetness" and caffeine. I have at least 2 a day along with my separate 85oz of water.
    Unless you have bad reactions to the aspartame, it's not going to hold you back on weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

In my experience, admittedly a sample of 1, giving up diet soda (and all artificial sweeteners) has helped to reduce my taste for sweets in general. Also, switching to water from diet soda is a healthier choice -- less sodium, fewer chemicals, better for your body. It's also a lot cheaper to drink water.

I'll give you the cheaper part, but most regular drinking water has roughly the same amount of sodium as soda. As for the chemical part, to be honest, the chemicals in question frighten people on a mental level, they don't actually bother the body one bit. The body sees everything as chemicals, and doesn't actually recognize the difference between one food or another. It sees aspartame and water in soda the same way it sees aspartic acid, phenylalanine (the two ingredients in aspartame,) and water in an avocado (yes, avocados are actually good sources of both aspartic acid and phenylalanine together, just like aspartame in soda. Surprise, you can find this "unholy chemical" in nature!)

Now I do want to say, as vigilantly as I defend diet sodas, from a health, safety, and factual perspective, I'm not advocating drinking only diet soda and never drinking anything else. Just because that's what the anti-diet soda crowd seem to always assume people who drink diet soda must do (always gotta love the all or nothing argument, after all, everybody knows that there's no such thing as balance and moderation in anything,) doesn't make it true. I do average 1 can of diet soda a day, along with a cup of black coffee, a mug of green tea, and about a gallon of water a day. It's part of what I call, balance, and enjoying life. I do even occasionally have a FULL SUGAR SODA! Yet somehow I've lost 52 pounds. :laugh: :drinker:
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    Here's my take on things. No empirical evidence to back this up, but I think it makes sense.

Artificial sweeteners make us expect things to be extremely sweet, so we aren't satisfied by natural sources of sugar like fruit, which then makes us turn to processed foods like candy, cake, etc. If you phase out artificial sweeteners you'll eventually be able to get your sugar fix via whole foods like fruit, honey, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on things. No empirical evidence to back this up, but I think it makes sense.

Artificial sweeteners make us expect things to be extremely sweet, so we aren't satisfied by natural sources of sugar like fruit, which then makes us turn to processed foods like candy, cake, etc. If you phase out artificial sweeteners you'll eventually be able to get your sugar fix via whole foods like fruit, honey, etc.
    I eat fruit along with diet soda daily. I've dieted many times for contests and diet soda help to keep me sane while I kept away from candy, cake, cookies etc, to it probably depends more on the person.

IDEA Fitness member
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options

I eat fruit along with diet soda daily. I've dieted many times for contests and diet soda help to keep me sane while I kept away from candy, cake, cookies etc, to it probably depends more on the person.

IDEA Fitness member

As with everything else, it certainly does depend on the person.
  • renokt87
    renokt87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here's a short and sweet article from Mens Health Magazine that scared me straight so to speak. I used to drink at least 32oz of Diet Pepsi per day (sometimes much more). I'll occasionally have one, but I've found that I'm much more snacky later in the day if I have a diet soda with lunch.
    http://news.menshealth.com/the-truth-about-diet-soda/2011/07/07/

Another article I read suggests that drinking diet soda may increase a person's preference for sugary-tasting food in general (i.e. cookies, candy, etc).
  • Tejaco
    Tejaco Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I decided I wanted to lose weight, I went to my doctor for advice, who sent me to their weight-loss clinic. I spoke to a doctor who does nothing all day but deal with individual needs to lose weight, everything from me, who had put on some pounds but never dieted and needed advice, to people dangerously obese who needed surgery for it, etc. He gave me some strategies best suited for my lifestyle, and yes, he strongly encouraged me to give up diet soda in order to lose weight. I was horrified, by the way, being a long-time major consumer of the stuff. I tried bargaining, you know, like when you're going through the stages of grief. He was adamant. He said the mechanism for it is not yet known, but over and over he sees people who only finally lose weight once they manage to give up diet soda.

I didn't like the answer, but I consider him a better authority than any of the scoffers and calorie-counting fundamentalists here.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Meh, I've lost 70 pounds drinking diet soda. I'll believe that, and all the science that says its perfectly fine.

Even doctors can have agendas, you know.
  • tigersword
    Options

Why do you think that? Taste is purely a matter of determining whether something is safe to eat or not. It has no effect on digestion. Aspartame is protein, the body reacts to it like any other protein, with the same insulin response and protein enzymes that would happen had you eaten a piece of steak (just obviously on a much smaller scale.) Does chicken make you crave sugar?

And cravings are purely mental in nature, and have nothing to do with artificial sweeteners themselves.
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If you are prone to retaining water, then cutting 30mg of sodium on average from your diet for every diet drink you normally consume and replacing it with water would lead to water weight being lost.

We have a strict no artificial sweeteners policy in our house because I am severely allergic to them. However, when my spouse and I met she was a diet coke junky. While cutting them out didn't cause her to lose weight, (she replaced them with regular soda) it did have a striking effect on her health. She takes several medications for an illness and had suffered for years with nearly debilitating side effects. Almost as soon as she cut out the artificial sweeteners the side effects stopped. Turns out after discussing it with her dr. and dietician the chemicals in artificial sweeteners can interact with certain medications and cause increased toxicity.

Since she was addicted to soda, mostly for the bubbles, I bought her a soda stream last year for her birthday. Best investment I ever made. It gave us total control over the amount of syrup and therefore the amount of sugar in her soda's. She has been gradually cutting back the amount of syrup each week for several months now and just recently started putting a squeeze of fresh lemon in her glass instead of syrup at all. Since it is just CO2 and tap water there is nearly no sodium that way.
  • Tejaco
    Tejaco Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a soda stream too! I love it, for the control it gives me, for the environmental aspects and for the cost control. I recommend she try lime juice! I like it even better than lemon juice.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    *banging head against wall*

No - No it wont, just effing drink it if you want, I drink a f*ckload of coke zero a day - I have lost a ****load of weight

things like consistency, watching your diet, realizing this **** takes time are what matter

*head explodes*
  • tigersword
    Options
    If you are prone to retaining water, then cutting 30mg of sodium on average from your diet for every diet drink you normally consume and replacing it with water would lead to water weight being lost.

We have a strict no artificial sweeteners policy in our house because I am severely allergic to them. However, when my spouse and I met she was a diet coke junky. While cutting them out didn't cause her to lose weight, (she replaced them with regular soda) it did have a striking effect on her health. She takes several medications for an illness and had suffered for years with nearly debilitating side effects. Almost as soon as she cut out the artificial sweeteners the side effects stopped. Turns out after discussing it with her dr. and dietician the chemicals in artificial sweeteners can interact with certain medications and cause increased toxicity.

Since she was addicted to soda, mostly for the bubbles, I bought her a soda stream last year for her birthday. Best investment I ever made. It gave us total control over the amount of syrup and therefore the amount of sugar in her soda's. She has been gradually cutting back the amount of syrup each week for several months now and just recently started putting a squeeze of fresh lemon in her glass instead of syrup at all. Since it is just CO2 and tap water there is nearly no sodium that way.
    Unless you distill the water, tap water has roughly the same amount of sodium, if not more, than soda does. Water is treated with sodium to soften it, and chlorine to kill germs. Most water filters don't filter sodium.
  • italian_bella_xo
    Options
    *banging head against wall*

No - No it wont, just effing drink it if you want, I drink a f*ckload of coke zero a day - I have lost a ****load of weight

things like consistency, watching your diet, realizing this **** takes time are what matter

*head explodes*

hahahahaha... :heart:
  • paulovenden
    paulovenden Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think some people have misunderstood this. The research, and there's lots, is saying that taking artificial sweeteners (diet coke, no sugar added drinks etc etc huge list!) can effect what happens in the brain. As I understand it when we eat the reward part of the brain says thank you we've had enough calories now. However with these sweeteners the brain works out over time that it is not getting the calories to match the sweetness and turns it down or off. Therefore you crave more carbs. That can be sweets or bread etc.

Now I am a firm believer in calories in calories out and yes there are zero calories in coke zero. But if drinking it means we then go and eat someone else because we have cravings is it really zero. Why are we on MFP? Is it because we have failed to control our craving and is some of that because of these sweeteners.

I don't know the answer but I know this. This I was feeling unwell and having problems with my waterworks. I had blood tests for prostrate cancer and other tests. Whilst reading a booklet from the doctors about it one section talked about those who drink lots of diet coke etc. For two weeks I did not drink diet coke and it went away! Yes I was drinking 3 or 4 a day but even if you only drink 1 it may well be one too many. Until recently I was still drinking the odd one but not now.

After the BSE and horsemeat problems do we trust the food industry to sell us something that is good for us or for THEM! they make billions on diet drinks and you can see from the responses that people are very keen to believe that they are ok.

Have a search for artificial sweeteners, there are a few, and then see just what products you have with them in. You will be eating lots of them i'm sure, it's not just about diet drinks but everything you eat.

MFP is great because it helps to ensure you don't overeat and for most of us that will be working because of the calories in/out theory. But how many of us still crave food when we're not hungry. Why is that....................?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,919 Member
    Options
    I love this site...................it's exciting.:happy:
  • keenyjamesjr
    keenyjamesjr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Our bodies have taste receptors throughout our gut and endocrine systems. These are used for (among other functions) feedback to regulate hormones in the body. Some of these receptors detect bitter, savory, or salt while still others detect sweet. The sweetness that theses cells are meant respond to is not from ingested sugars but rather other compounds resulting from metabolic processes. simple sugars in our foods will break down before reaching many of these taste receptors, however, some molecules like aspartame are long lived in our GI tract and blood stream. These molecules are not toxic and are harmless in most people except those who lack an enzyme to break down the amino acid phenylalanine, a condition called Phenylketonuria. However, since molecules like Phenylalanine dipeptide (Nutra Sweet) survive longer in our bodies than sugars, they will encounter and trigger sweet taste receptors elsewhere in our bodies and alter our hormone regulation. This may lead to weight gain or other unforeseen issues in some people, especially those consuming large amounts over long time duration.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Our bodies have taste receptors throughout our gut and endocrine systems. These are used for (among other functions) feedback to regulate hormones in the body. Some of these receptors detect bitter, savory, or salt while still others detect sweet. The sweetness that theses cells are meant respond to is not from ingested sugars but rather other compounds resulting from metabolic processes. simple sugars in our foods will break down before reaching many of these taste receptors, however, some molecules like aspartame are long lived in our GI tract and blood stream. These molecules are not toxic and are harmless in most people except those who lack an enzyme to break down the amino acid phenylalanine, a condition called Phenylketonuria. However, since molecules like Phenylalanine dipeptide (Nutra Sweet) survive longer in our bodies than sugars, they will encounter and trigger sweet taste receptors elsewhere in our bodies and alter our hormone regulation. This may lead to weight gain or other unforeseen issues in some people, especially those consuming large amounts over long time duration.
    Exactly how is the reaction in the gut from phenylalanine in aspartame different from the reaction in the gut from phenylalanine in any protein source, considering the fact that phenylalanine is an amino acid found in all animal, dairy, and most vegetable proteins? Also keeping in mind that consuming 4 oz of chicken is the equivalent in phenylalanine of 24 cans of diet soda.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    So what science journal is stating this BS? Don't tell me it's another "psychology" journal on nutrition. It's already failed at somatotyping.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I lost over 50lb in under 6 months eating at a deficit and exercising daily. I also drank daily 3 cups of instant coffee black with 3 packets of aspartame each. Now i am aware aspartame probably isnt healthy for me, but in no way did it effect my weight loss and any article suggesting otherwise is complete garbage. Calories in calories out.