September Cycling Challenge 2013

Options

Replies

• paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm a commuter cyclist who is recovering from a broken toe due to a crash about 6 weeks ago. Been off the bike for as long, just getting back at it now. Went for a 12km ride today & feeling sore after only a short ride. 6 weeks ago I was riding 60km on a sunny Saturday! I'm working on building my endurance and stamina back up. Definitely want to get as many rides in as I can before the weather turns cool. Best of all - my bus pass for August is expired so I will be encouraged to bike around the city. Let's have a great September everyone :)

Sept 1: 12KM
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow cyclists!

I'm new to the challenges, here on MFP. Is there a group or do we just check in on this thread every week? Today was my rest day, so no cycling. I did walk over 6 miles according to my fitbit, so not much rest, really.

In August, I rode my bike 306 miles. I have a 50 mile ride planned for tomorrow, and two century rides planned for the 3rd and 4th Sundays in September. I also use my bike to commute to and from work (about 3.5 miles each way). I would welcome suggestions as to what I should set for my mileage goal for Sept. Considering I'm doing 250 miles in 3 days, and plan on riding about 70 miles on the 8th and 80-90 miles on the 15th. With those five days alone, I'm looking at 400 miles total.

So, maybe my total mileage goal should be 600 miles (966km) for the month of Sept?
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    1st Sept - OW swim
    2nd Sept - 17.36 miles

Total: 17.36 miles
    Target: 500 miles
    Remaining: 482.64 miles
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Count me in! Bicycling is my favorite exercise. I have a hybrid bike DH bought me 13 years ago. I ride mostly on the weekends (with some time on a stationary bike at the gym on weekdays) in good weather.

Last month I did a 31-mile charity bike ride (that's the "after" pic in my avatar)- longest ride I've ever done. I really enjoyed it (and loved the 1,400 calorie burn shown on my HRM!). That made me feel a lot better about my 38-mile ride on September 14 for MS. I just hope the weather holds out- it's rain or shine.

Total so far this month: 15 miles yesterday.
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Please count me in on this challenge

I recently completed a cycle ride from London to Paris with my wife and I lost in the region of 6llbs in 4- 5 days, this sounds a long way to ride BUT my wife had never cycled that distance before and it was a great journey being able to cycle through the French countryside and then into Versaille http://en.chateauversailles.fr/homepage and then through the forests that surround Paris. Seeing the Eiffel tower for the first time while we were about 10 miles way from the centre of Paris was such a wonderful moment

My advice to anyone beginning cycling is just start small, ride to the end of your street, road and back again and progress from there

if anyone would like to friend me please feel free

1st Sept 32 Mile
    2 Sept 16 miles
  • Harborjay
    Options
    Sat up watching TV last night, so I rode another 40 min

9/1 - AM ride 11.4 miles
    PM ride 10.8
    PM ride 11.3

MTD - 33.5 miles
    Goal - 500 miles
  • reggiepe
    reggiepe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 10.08 miles
    9/2 - 8.08 miles

MTD - 18.16 miles
    Goal - 200 miles
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I'll sign up as I am trying to get more cycling in. It helps that summer is just around the corner. I will just see how far I get, rather than setting a goal.

Mon 2: 4 km outside
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Count:
    3 Activities
    Distance:
    77.72 mi
    Time:
    5:59:13 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:
    2,483 ft
    Avg Speed:
    13.0 mph
    Avg HR:
    120 bpm
    Calories:
    5,094 C
    Max Distance:
    45.12 mi
    Poor effort today, that will teach me for going to the pub last night :drinker:
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am not going to set a target for this month as I find it then becomes hard work instead of just getting on the bike and riding until I can't ride any further with a big smile on my face, most of my miles are done on a canal towpath so it is not safe to go fast with all the children walking down there but at my age that suits me just fine :happy:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/368809490
    Count:
    1 Activities
    Distance:
    45.12 mi
    Time:
    3:26:21 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:
    928 ft
    Avg Speed:
    13.1 mph
    Avg HR:
    122 bpm
    Calories:
    2,978 C
    Max Distance:
    45.12 m
    45 miles already!?!? It's 9pm here in the uk now and I'm gagging to get on my bike to start this months count..... I'm too competitive for my own good I must admit ...
    First open water swim today... That's me done for today :)
    What part of the UK are you in? I live in Essex :smile:
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Have a tri in 21 days. I rode 12 yesterday. I'm going to participate this month with y'all to track my miles :) Thanks
  • daviddowns1968
    daviddowns1968 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started using Mapmyride for cycling, tells me how far, incline and hills, speed and cals burned as well as doing other exercises... always loved cycling, but haven't for years, just got back into it.

So
    1 Sep - 25 miles
    2 Sep - 8.5 miles

Have to get up at 5 to go for a decent ride before work, hence shorter distances on week days... love to do more and get to know more cyclists.
  • cbattles516
    cbattles516 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Went out again today. Caught a break between the showers.

1st - 16.5mi
    2nd - 14.7mi

Total: 31.2mi
    Goal: 150 mi
    Miles to go: 118.8

http://www.strava.com/athletes/2800490

EDIT: added strava link
  • raneylfrick
    raneylfrick Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Can I still be in even if I don't do it every day?? The kids' bike trailer broke a wheel, so I am a little 'held back'. I'll kick *kitten* on the weekends, though, when the kiddos are gone!!
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 5.1 miles in the heat of the day.
    9/2 - 7.5 miles. Hot, but at least it was cloudy today.

MTD - 12.6 miles.
    Goal for September - 110 miles.
    Remaining - 97.4 miles.
  • Harborjay
    Options
    9/2 AM ride 11.7 miles
    PM ride 11.1 miles
    Total 22.8 miles

MTD - 56.3 miles
    Goal - 500 miles
  • markymark_82
    Options
    GJ everybody.

I think i'll just lurk around. Trying to get inspiration from everybody. Not to be Debbie Downer, but I just can't get on my bike. It's been over 3 weeks and my mileage has gone from over 600 mi's a month to 0 in August.

Feeding off all your good vibes!
  • mlove351
    mlove351 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    9/2/2013 28 miles road bike 2078 cals burned 2hrs 10 min

exercise.png
  • heidicalif
    heidicalif Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yesterday (9/1) I logged my highest mileage ever on my bike in a single day. Today I came within 2 miles of beating that number, but decided it was more important I be able to sit and walk tomorrow. The best part was that about 14 miles of it each day was a ride that last October & November with perfect fall weather dh and I could barely complete, and I was terrified one of us would have a heart attack trying. This weekend we did it twice in 90+ degree weather at high noon and it was cake!

exercise.png
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Please count me in on this challenge

I recently completed a cycle ride from London to Paris with my wife and I lost in the region of 6llbs in 4- 5 days, this sounds a long way to ride BUT my wife had never cycled that distance before and it was a great journey being able to cycle through the French countryside and then into Versaille http://en.chateauversailles.fr/homepage and then through the forests that surround Paris. Seeing the Eiffel tower for the first time while we were about 10 miles way from the centre of Paris was such a wonderful moment

My advice to anyone beginning cycling is just start small, ride to the end of your street, road and back again and progress from there

if anyone would like to friend me please feel free

1st Sept 32 Mile
    2 Sept 16 miles/went out in the late afternoon and evening as well added 46

total 94