Made the Mistake of Bringing up Intermittent Fasting...

Options
So I was in my campus dining hall yesterday with two of my girlfriends. The one has lost 30 pounds over the summer doing some sort of shake diet. She was going on and on and on about and it was making me nuts - she tells everyone she sees that she's lost weight (while I keep my 11 pounds to myself). Finally, in attempt to say something about my life (my first mistake!) I mentioned that I was going to be trying intermittent fasting and that I was really excited for it. Oh boy.

I got a big lecture in which she asserted:
-Her shake diet will reset her metabolism
-I should do her shake diet
-She eats 2000 calories a day on this diet and loses three pounds a week, because the types of foods shes eating tell her body to burn fat and not calories. (she is not morbidly obese-there is no way she is safely losing three pounds a week, if this is true)
-I have to eat 6 small meals every 3-4 hours to have a healthy metabolism
-She has built a pound of muscle on this diet (I asked her if she is lifting and she looked at me like WHY WOULD THAT MATTER)
-Her doctor and her nutritionist said it was a good thing to do
-Nutritionist and RDs are the same thing (THIS MAKES ME CRAZY. It's just like the difference between a therapist and a psychologist. ANYONE can call themselves a therapist/nutritionist - they are not legally licensed terms.)
-THEN she had the audacity to ask me if I had seen a nutritionist, because apparently I'm too dumb to read science on my own.
-Finally when I questioned why she would trust A BUSINESS that was making MONEY off a weight loss program with her health she said that the people who created it were doctors and nurses with everyone's best interest in mind.

/endrage

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    you just do what works for you. I do not do IF, not because i have anything against it but because I like to eat all the time and hate limits. As long as you stay under your calories per day it does not matter when you eat them. Good for you to stand up to her and question her. Best of luck to you and I say stay the course
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Just let it roll of your back. You are doing well on your own. Keep it up!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    IF works for some people and it doesn't for others. I do it during my work week and it works for me.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If she's eating 2000 calories a day she isn't losing in a necessarily "unsafe" way. It a large enough amount to assure nutritional diversity. It might be crap it might not be. Just stop judging other people and get on with your thing.

I personally won't do IF or Shakes but, nothing intrinsically wrong with either - it depends on a lot of factors like long term goals, lifestyle management, fitness goals, LBM maintenance. In one I'd likely binge, the other is expensive but either can create a calorie deficit.

My personal focus is long term fitness. Can either fit this? Sometimes....
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If she's eating 2000 calories a day she isn't losing in a necessarily "unsafe" way. It a large enough amount to assure nutritional diversity. It might be crap it might not be. Just stop judging other people and get on with your thing.

I personally won't do IF or Shakes but, nothing intrinsically wrong with either - it depends on a lot of factors like long term goals, lifestyle management, fitness goals, LBM maintenance. In one I'd likely binge, the other is expensive but either can create a calorie deficit.

I guess you missed the part where she said she was losing 3 pounds a week. I'll stop being such a judgemental person for you though, I guess.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I am all for it
    there are 2 good groups on here,
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Eat a balanced diet, set a reasonable calorie and macros goal, strength train, IF if it works for you . . . and for the love of all that is right and holy in this world, never, NEVER, discuss your diet and fitness plan with IRL friends . . .
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    I wouldn't worry, just let it go. You see plenty of this sort of bad science on the MFP forums as it is, I wish I had lost an ounce of fat for every time I've seen 'Starvation Mode', I'd be downright skinny by now! I agree with you, no way is she losing 3lbs a day on 2000 calories. And I'm not being judgemental................. :wink:
  • eblakes93
    Options
    I wouldn't worry, just let it go. You see plenty of this sort of bad science on the MFP forums as it is, I wish I had lost an ounce of fat for every time I've seen 'Starvation Mode', I'd be downright skinny by now! I agree with you, no way is she losing 3lbs a day on 2000 calories. And I'm not being judgemental................. :wink:

Haha thanks for the understanding!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

I guess you missed the part where she said she was losing 3 pounds a week. I'll stop being such a judgemental person for you though, I guess.

2 lbs a week is not some magical limit. The 3 lbs a week will slow down. You don't suddenly become sick because you passed the magic number 2. It depends on long term/short and totals. When I started I lost 5 lbs in one week initially and I still have weeks where the scale can register 3-4 lbs difference - not all is true weight loss.

She's eating 2000 cals under supervision. Not 600. Her deficit is likely high but not extreme.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Let her do what she does and you do what you do. It's not important.
  • eblakes93
    Options

2 lbs a week is not some magical limit. The 3 lbs a week will slow down. You don't suddenly become sick because you passed the magic number 2. It depends on long term/short and totals. When I started I lost 5 lbs in one week initially and I still have weeks where the scale can register 3-4 lbs difference - not all is true weight loss.

She's eating 2000 cals under supervision. Not 600. Her deficit is likely high but not extreme.

I think your're missing the point. I doubt that she is actually losing 3 pounds a week on 2000 calories a day. If that was the case, her TDEE is around 3500 calories. This is not a morbidly obese lady (she has a similar height/weight profile to me). So either

A) She is not tracking her calories and is eating far less then 2000 calories a day (probably like 500-800calories).
    B) She lied and is not losing 3 pounds a week.
  • eblakes93
    Options
    Let her do what she does and you do what you do. It's not important.

Oi vey. Why did I even bother?

I'm not stopping her from doing anything. I casually brought up what I was doing and got a lecture about it. :ohwell: It's important to me because these are people I see every single day. I live with them and got to class with them.

I really need to have more discretion when I come on the boards to post...
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I think your're missing the point. I doubt that she is actually losing 3 pounds a week on 2000 calories a day. If that was the case, her TDEE is around 3500 calories. This is not a morbidly obese lady (she has a similar height/weight profile to me). So either

A) She is not tracking her calories and is eating far less then 2000 calories a day (probably like 500-800calories).

Probably the latter... or she's lost 3lbs in a week the first couple weeks... mostly water weight.
  • Kasmira0004
    Kasmira0004 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    ....But seriously, does it even really matter? You're putting all of your energy in this when you should just continue to do what works for you and let her do what works for her. She judged you, you are judging her, oi vey.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Is she trying to sell you the shake?
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it.
    Just concentrate on your own health and well-being.
    And with that, I wish you all the best with your efforts.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • eblakes93
    Options

Is she trying to sell you the shake?

She suggested that I do it.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    How the hell is she losing 3lbs a week on 2000 calories a day as a normal weight person unless she's:
    a) Doing excessive exercise
    b) Overestimating her food consumption.

I thought I could eat a lot and I'd lose up to 1.5lbs a week on that amount (aside from the first couple weeks when a lot is water) and that's exercising 4-5 times a week!

Anyway, whatever the reason is, you obviously work well doing what you do, and whatever she is doing works well for her. I don't think you can change how she behaves based on what you've said. I'd say the best thing you can do is just never bring up weight/fat loss/dieting around her again and change the subject asap if she brings it up. Be dismissive and find something else to talk about. It's fighting a losing battle otherwise.