Replies

• cbroadberry
    cbroadberry Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    bump
  • greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I usually shred sweet potatoes to make sweet potato hashbrowns. (Stir-fry it with onions, salt, garlic powder and paprika) Crack an egg into it and you have a tasty breakfast
    ^oooh That sounds good! I need to try it.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    bake and spice with a bit of nutmeg and or cinnamon :love:
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    WOW...

Some very tasty suggestions in this thread. Shame MFP doesn't have a "like" button. So for now, the ever popular BUMP!!
  • Erin083
    Erin083 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My favourite sweet potato meal is to bake it in the oven till soft with crispy skin, then slice open and top with bolognese sauce and a bit of cheese. Sooo good, it's become my replacement meal for spaghetti bolognese! I usually cook a full sweet potato and then take half to work for lunch the next day, it's even better reheated!
  • sonhando
    sonhando Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SHINDY12
    Options
    Bump
  • ash12783
    ash12783 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love them baked with a little bit of Move Over Butter and bit of Tostitos queso dip (more processed but less calories than shredded cheese and it mixes in better so it seems like you need less). so yummmmy!
  • bobbiestjohn
    bobbiestjohn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have them all the time for lunch, pop them in my microwave and eat them plain, they are delicious and quite filling.
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I made Lemon Miso Roasted Sweet Potatoes the other night - they were fantastic. I ended up with 6 servings.

2 Large Sweet Potatoes, cut into chunks
    1 Leek, coarsely chopped (white and light green portion)
    1/4 Cup White Miso
    4 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
    3 Tbsp Olive Oil
    3 Tbsp Tamari (or soy sauce)
    1 Lemon (zest it and juice it)
    S&P to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix up the miso, vinegar, olive oil, tamari, lemon zest and lemon juice. Taste the sauce and decide if you need salt and pepper (it's really salty as is, but when you add it to the sweet potatoes, it totally mellows out). If it's too salty for you, add a little honey. Pour over potatoes and leeks and then spread evenly on a baking sheet.

Cook for 40 - 60 minutes.

Original recipe can be found here (friend's blog): http://www.urbansacredgarden.com/2013/07/28/lemon-miso-roasted-sweet-potatoes-me/

This was a great side for chicken skewers, and I brought it during the week for a side to go with my lunch wrap.

These sound fantastic! I'm definitely bookmarking that recipe.

Most of the time I bake mine in either the microwave or the oven and eat them plain or with a little cinnamon. If I have the calories to splurge a little, I'll add a small sprinkle of brown sugar. I also like to make a hash with sweet potatoes, red pepper, and onions seasoned with garlic powder, chili powder, and smoked paprika.

I also really like this recipe for mashed sweet potatoes with ginger and apples: http://www.theppk.com/2011/12/hottie-black-eyed-peas-with-ginger-sweet-potatoes-apples/ (the black eyed pea and collards recipe is also fantastic--it's the recipe that made me realize vegan meals can be just as satisfying and delicious as meals with meat).

My mom makes a to die for sweet potato casserole at Thanksgiving. It's a total calorie bomb between all the butter, the brown sugar, and the pecans, but it's a splurge I'm already saving my calories for!
  • joymechelle99
    joymechelle99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Pineapple chunks and few tablespoons of lite coconut milk and some cinnamon on a baked sweet potato...so delish and healthy
  • FatOldBat
    FatOldBat Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Fried!
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I usually shred sweet potatoes to make sweet potato hashbrowns. (Stir-fry it with onions, salt, garlic powder and paprika) Crack an egg into it and you have a tasty breakfast

gonna make this for my son - thank you
    i always just boil mine, lovely and they'r good in curry's too
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I like to throw them in a thai red curry - very good

Might have to try the hash brown idea as well
  • Snarkist
    Snarkist Posts: 37
    Options
    baked until they are soft and carmelized, serve with carmelized onions
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Cubed and roasted...mmmm.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    i'd probably just butter and cinnamon them with maybe a little less butter than some of those others. No need to add tons of sugar since they are already pretty sweet.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    i'd probably just butter and cinnamon them with maybe a little less butter than some of those others. No need to add tons of sugar since they are already pretty sweet.

I've never tried them with cinnamon must try that