Does it bother anyone...

Options

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    No ads for me. I installed Ad Block on my browser.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    right, and my ads are for trucks and shoes..... clear your cache and it will change

There are also "Super Cookies" (LSO/Flash Cookies). I have them automatically cleared every hour by using "Better Privacy", an add on for Firefox.

As with HTTP cookies, local shared objects can be used by web sites to collect information on how people navigate those web sites even if people believe that they have restricted the data collection.[5] Online banks, merchants, or advertisers may use local shared objects for tracking purposes.[6]

On 10 August 2009, Wired magazine reported that more than half of the top websites used local shared objects to track users and store information about them but only four of them mentioned it in their privacy policy. "Flash cookies are relatively unknown to web users," it said, "even if a user thinks they have cleared their computer of tracking objects, they most likely have not." The article further asserts that some websites use Flash cookies as hidden backups, so that they can revive HTTP cookies when user deletes them.[7]

According to New York Times, since July 2010, there had been at least five class-action lawsuits in the United States against media companies for using local shared objects.[8] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_shared_object
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    on the border today!! Strangely.. I am now craving Tacos.. lol
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is weird, cause I've not eaten at McDonalds since May.... so why would it all of a sudden show up?

I clear my cookies and my search history every 2 weeks...

WEIRD!!!!!

Also right now I have Natural Choice for a Visibly Healthy Dog.... Yes I have dogs, but I've never even heard of this brand nor have I ever searched for this brand....

I think it is something that they have on a rotation and it's random... That is my thought...
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have cigars, cell phones, and converse shoes.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    By the time I got to the third page of this thread I got adds for:

Ritz Carlton
    Williams-Sonoma
    Nordstrom
    and TD bank to open an IRA
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I get Zulily a lot, and I don't know what that is.

Today, I've been getting:

The Color Run (yep I googled)
    Air Canada/West Jet (I'm looking up airfare)
    TRX (googled it once)

Sometimes it's things that I haven't looked up, but I suppose if I read a thread with any hot words, then the ads will come up.
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've got teach kids about drugs. Don't know why...
    Oop just changed to a mortgage refi program- still don't know why...
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I like McDonalds, so it doesn't bother me.

My ads are cigars, the Sheraton hotel, tough mudder, 'walk to end alzheimer's' ad.

Just stop going to the McD's website all day and it'll stop. (calm down, just kidding)
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Best fix ever, start googling for clothes and shoes. Problem solved lol.
  • tinavflynn
    tinavflynn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've got Avon and Fantasy Football.

I started buying some Avon stuff from a coworker and can look at her website, and I'm on two Fantasy Football teams. Football!!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    buy one, get one for $ 0.25 for Big Macs or Quarter Pounders

solid deal!

guess i know what im having for dinner now.

thanks!
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    Mine are Spartan Races and designer clothing :) lol it knows what pages you go to
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I have ads for plus sized women's clothing.

Explain THAT one? At what point did I search for plus sized women's clothing? (Hint: I didn't). I've never even looked up plus sized clothing. Or women's clothing. Yet there on the side is an ad for "Zulily's" advertising clothes for big women.

LOL It doesn't have to be women's clothing... or plus sized clothing that you looked up. Could just be clothing. They use key words, not exact stores. So, the OP could have searched for Burger King, or burgers, and get an ad for McDonald's now. :wink:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Install an add blocker, solved.

^^^ this

no idea why more people don't use them!!

I see no ads at all :drinker:
  • leahgoldgirl
    leahgoldgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have ads for fresh direct, nature box, Platoon fitness, etc. I also had a random one for Pillsbury cinnamon buns, which mirrors nothing on my browser history, but for the most part, the ads are directly geared towards what you look at. Stop looking at fast food/ entering fast food calories in, and you'll stop getting fast food ads.
  • becckii
    becckii Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love this so much. It's hilarious.
  • snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have an add with very sleek-looking lady for Love Culture website, trying to allure me to buy some sweet leggings. Maybe I should check it out. :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    What!? .25 cent burgers at McD's???? This is the best news ever! I'm hoping that typing this brings up the add for me! That's the kind of stuff I needs to know!
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    There are ads on MFP??? :huh: I've never seen one. Of course, that could be because I am using Firefox with an ad-blocker... :wink: LOL :bigsmile: