If You Drink DIET SODAS Then YOU Need to Read This.

Options

Replies

• ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Call it anti-intellectual if you want, but I don't think our "scientific process" is working for us in the realm of PREVENTING illness.
    So immunizations (developed by science) doesn't prevent diseases? Do you think that hanging out with someone with chicken pox and just your "natural" immunity would give you piece of mind?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm not a fan of (most) immunizations, chicken pox vaccine being one of them. I'm sure I will be criticized for that as well.

Hey, that's a great stance to have! Just ask these guys: http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2013/08/24/measles-outbreak-traces-to-vaccine-refusing-megachurch/
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Call it anti-intellectual if you want, but I don't think our "scientific process" is working for us in the realm of PREVENTING illness.
    So immunizations (developed by science) doesn't prevent diseases? Do you think that hanging out with someone with chicken pox and just your "natural" immunity would give you piece of mind?

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm not a fan of (most) immunizations, chicken pox vaccine being one of them. I'm sure I will be criticized for that as well.

That's a genuine shame. In absolute seriousness.

I hope you've at least gotten your children vaccinated. People who do not should literally have their children taken away from them. There's simply zero rational or reasonable argument not to vaccinate your children.
  • earthymom
    earthymom Posts: 52 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

That's a genuine shame. In absolute seriousness.

I hope you've at least gotten your children vaccinated. People who do not should literally have their children taken away from them. There's simply zero rational or reasonable argument not to vaccinate your children.

No, my children are not fully vaccinated. They don't eat the standard american (full of processed food, ,minimal fruit and vegetable intake, etc). They eat mostly whole foods, real food. They are active and they are perfectly healthy. In fact they've always had less illness than other kids. I don't pass judgement on people that do vaccinate because I respect their choice. From your posts, I don't expect you or many others that are following this topic to be open minded, understand or respect that. I realize that some of my posts may not sound open minded either, so I apologize and am respectfully am leaving this topic. I wish you all well on your weight loss journey.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    No, my children are not fully vaccinated.

That's pathetic, shameful, and should be straight-up illegal. I seriously hope your children don't contract any of the terrible diseases they haven't been vaccinated against... and, if they don't, I hope you go around and thank every parent who did vaccinate their children against those diseases, thereby protecting your children through herd immunity. People being willful idiots annoys me, but people who knowingly and purposely put their children in unnecessary danger because of their nonsensical quasi-religious anti-science beliefs makes me absolutely rage. There is no excuse, and it makes me seriously angry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Why be a fan at all if "natural" is the way to go? The statement was that science hasn't prevented diseases which isn't true.

IDEA Fitness member
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    No, my children are not fully vaccinated. They don't eat the standard american (full of processed food, ,minimal fruit and vegetable intake, etc). They eat mostly whole foods, real food. They are active and they are perfectly healthy. In fact they've always had less illness than other kids. I don't pass judgement on people that do vaccinate because I respect their choice. From your posts, I don't expect you or many others that are following this topic to be open minded, understand or respect that. I realize that some of my posts may not sound open minded either, so I apologize and am respectfully am leaving this topic. I wish you all well on your weight loss journey.

There is a big difference between being open minded and rejecting a technology that is literally a cornerstone of the quality of life and longevity of our society.

People don't think Polio, Measles, Mumps, etc... are big problems precisely because widespread vaccination has all but wiped them out in the developed world. If the vaccination trend starts to reverse, then these diseases will come back. That is not being open minded - it is being irresponsible and playing Russian roulette with the health of the people you love, and those around them, all in the name of some misplaced ideal of living a 'natural' or 'clean' life.

Remember that viruses and bacteria are natural too.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Natural=better, that's all I'm saying.

Poison ivy is natural, does that mean it's better?
  • jonnythan
    Options

There is a big difference between being open minded and rejecting a technology that is literally a cornerstone of the quality of life and longevity of our society.

People don't think Polio, Measles, Mumps, etc... are big problems precisely because widespread vaccination has all but wiped them out in the developed world. If the vaccination trend starts to reverse, then these diseases will come back. That is not being open minded - it is being irresponsible and playing Russian roulette with the health of the people you love, and those around them, all in the name of some misplaced ideal of living a 'natural' or 'clean' life.

Remember that viruses and bacteria are natural too.

I don't know where people get this whole stupid romantic idea of nature from anyway. Natural doesn't mean good. Nature isn't kind and benevolent and full of wonderful things put their for our health.

Nature is terrible. The natural order of things is for organisms to desperately fight for their own survival day in and day out. Resource scarcity is the name of the game, and at every level organisms are essentially at war with their environments. Everywhere an organism turns, there's something there that wants to digest it or kill it to eliminate competition. Every organism in the world, from bacteria to human beings, has complicated defense and offense systems to help it succeed in that quest. Our very bodies are constantly besieged by billions of organisms whose sole purpose in life is to reproduce by causing us harm. Every plant, every animal, every microbe out there is trying desperately to stay alive and has millions of years of evolution's worth of defense mechanisms.

Nature isn't looking out for us. Nature is out to get us, and it's very very good at it. You, "earthymom," only exist at all today thanks to the incredible ability of mankind to fend off nature well enough to provide you a comfortable disease-free life. Without the vaccines you scorn, chances are good you would not have lived long enough to have your child, and chances are good that your child would have suffered debilitating illness or death by now.

It is the very vaccines you don't want to give your child that are responsible for creating an environment in which you can say "I don't need those."
  • lharvey2797
    lharvey2797 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    100% OF PEOPLE WHO DRINK DIET SODA WILL DIE!

SCIENCE!

100% OF PEOPLE WHO ARE BORN WILL DIE!!
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    It was just a post i came by to be honest, Aspartame may or may not be bad for you but me personaly dont drink any thing but water anyway as its natural and think its the best and healthiest liquid around and most of all its free.

but some people say Aspartame is bad for you so i thought id share this as it may just be that way.

there is alot of articles that say its bad and in some place has been banned from using it

BUT.... Its up to you to believe it or not

My advice to you is choose WATER to drink instead its ZERO Calories & Good for you.
    remeber the human body is 70 - 80% water to so we need water to servive :drinker:

I used to drink Aspartame and it gave me horrible headaches and I'd have horrible anxiety/panic attacks while driving. I gave it up and I no longer have those attacks, and I also no longer have those headaches. People are going to bash you because it doesn't affect them yet. Let them. It is not good for you, but people are gonna believe what they want.... so let them. We all need to remember back in the early days our ancestors didn't have this fake stuff and lived just fine. Thank you for the article, I don't believe everything I read, but I do go by how I feel since I haven't drank the stuff in months now...big difference. Happy Hump Day OP.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

That's pathetic, shameful, and should be straight-up illegal. I seriously hope your children don't contract any of the terrible diseases they haven't been vaccinated against... and, if they don't, I hope you go around and thank every parent who did vaccinate their children against those diseases, thereby protecting your children through herd immunity. People being willful idiots annoys me, but people who knowingly and purposely put their children in unnecessary danger because of their nonsensical quasi-religious anti-science beliefs makes me absolutely rage. There is no excuse, and it makes me seriously angry.

I agree with you. Where did those measle outbreaks come from a few months back? Hmmmm... from a child that wasn't vaccinated. Then gave it to other children that weren't vaccinated. My children are vaccinated.. I'm not about to be the one person that is responsible for an outbreak that could have been prevented. ::shrugs:: to each their own really, but I think its sad as hell people really believe vaccinations cause other issues. If your child has something, it was pre-disposed in their gene makeup... their DNA. People are niave where this is concerned. But... again... to each their own. I personally know I've done all I can to keep my children SAFE from an outbreak, THAT is all that matters.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    People are going to bash you because it doesn't affect them yet.

People aren't bashing because OP said it effects them. People get annoyed when an person's individual sensitivity is conflated with something being bad for everyone, after literally thousands of studies have found no safety issues.

If I started a post saying "I'm allergic to peanuts, therefore they will kill everyone and no one should eat them", I would be just as flamed, even though peanut sensitivity is well known. On the other hand, if I posted "I'm allergic to peanuts, therefore I can't eat them" it would be a non-event, and most likely completely ignored.

If you can't tell the difference between these two points of view, then there is little point in discussing.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It was just a post i came by to be honest, Aspartame may or may not be bad for you but me personaly dont drink any thing but water anyway as its natural and think its the best and healthiest liquid around and most of all its free.

but some people say Aspartame is bad for you so i thought id share this as it may just be that way.

there is alot of articles that say its bad and in some place has been banned from using it

BUT.... Its up to you to believe it or not

My advice to you is choose WATER to drink instead its ZERO Calories & Good for you.
    remeber the human body is 70 - 80% water to so we need water to servive :drinker:

I used to drink Aspartame and it gave me horrible headaches and I'd have horrible anxiety/panic attacks while driving. I gave it up and I no longer have those attacks, and I also no longer have those headaches. People are going to bash you because it doesn't affect them yet. Let them. It is not good for you, but people are gonna believe what they want.... so let them. We all need to remember back in the early days our ancestors didn't have this fake stuff and lived just fine. Thank you for the article, I don't believe everything I read, but I do go by how I feel since I haven't drank the stuff in months now...big difference. Happy Hump Day OP.

This (the bolded) always baffles me. Paleolithic humans probably had an average lifespan of about 25 years. Even as recently as the mid to late 1800s, the average life expectancy was around 40. (Of course people lived longer than that, but a lot of people also died younger than that.) It wasn't until something like the 1970s that the life expectancy was greater than 70 years. A child born in 2004 can reasonably expect to live to be 75 (male) or 80 (female) … These are for the USA, I'm sure there's some variance with other countries, but the trend is going to be the same.

So, why is it so much better to live like the early days of our ancestors, eat like they did, have the same diseases, etc? I'm not saying that it's aspartame that increased our life span (that would be silly and unfounded … although there is a lose correlation simply because life span is higher now that aspartame is available :tongue:). I'm saying, just because it wasn't available thousands, hundreds, or even ten years ago doesn't make it bad.

Oops, edited to add my source: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005140.html
  • whitesmokes
    whitesmokes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you mix your diet soda with hard booze, it completely negates the harmful effects of artificial sweetener. I do it all the time and the only bad thing so far is a couple DUIs.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've been diabetic for 20 years, and have probably had more diet coke and artificial sweetener in the last 10 years than most people will have in their life time.

Somehow I’m still alive.

Magic.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

I agree with you. Where did those measle outbreaks come from a few months back? Hmmmm... from a child that wasn't vaccinated. Then gave it to other children that weren't vaccinated. My children are vaccinated.. I'm not about to be the one person that is responsible for an outbreak that could have been prevented. ::shrugs:: to each their own really, but I think its sad as hell people really believe vaccinations cause other issues. If your child has something, it was pre-disposed in their gene makeup... their DNA. People are niave where this is concerned. But... again... to each their own. I personally know I've done all I can to keep my children SAFE from an outbreak, THAT is all that matters.

Add to this the fact that some children cannot be vaccinated, either because they have repressed immune systems, or are severely allergic to a component of the vaccine. They are safer through herd immunity (where their schoolmates, neighbors, etc are vaccinated). But the more people opt out of vaccinations, the more they put those who can't at risk.

Pertussis (whooping cough) has been making a huge comeback in my part of the country. I wouldn't let anyone who wan't current on their immunizations for pertussis near my baby until he was fully immunized (it takes several rounds for infants to be fully immunized). I've seen to many news stories of babies dying because someone thought it was fine. :sad:
  • Femalebabyraider
    Options
    Hello I'm Not A spammer real person looking for support :) and looking to give support hola at your female_baby_raider :)
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have my Doctor Pepper Zero next to me, time to drink it!
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    On the one hand I think the whole Aspartame thing is evil (see Sweet Misery documentary) and we'd be better off with just chugging back the sugary stuff and on the other I think the dose is in the poison.

Christ knows what the truth is but I feel somehow unclean every time I pop open a can as I tend to do daily.
    This guy's sh1tting me, right? He seriously thinks the sugar/HFCS in regular soda is *better for you* than aspartame?

Enjoy your diabetes and obesity. I'll be sitting here pounding one liter of Diet Mountain Dew per day while happily losing weight, having stable blood sugar, and NOT having my organs rot off.
  • joan280
    Options
    Just because it's on the internet doesn't means it's true but personally there are some medical problems the preclude using aspartame--I know because I have one of them.
This discussion has been closed.