People losing weight with lots of cardio

Options

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I inboxed you hunni. It's impossible to have a sensible conversation on main forum... LOL :drinker:

Thanks! Do you mind if I post some of the info you sent me? I think others could benefit from learning about your experience :)

You mean the Rachel Cosgrove article? By all means. It certainly reflects my experience of doing only steady state cardio with no HIIT or weights at that time. Here it is. :ohwell:

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    10 mile run and only eating 1100 calories? This screams eating disorder. Or at least headed down that road. Starving, then binging, then starving, then anorexia, etc.

Eat a reasonable amount of calories. "Listening to your body" is a copout excuse. There's a reason we have brains, our brains allow us to use intelligence to survive. Extensive cardio has an appetite blunting effect. Hormones responsible for hunger and satiety are trained to respond to eating patterns.

Eat more. As a marathon runner, you should know better.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Day 1: 9/4/13 150 pounds

egg white omelette (200 cal)
    large salad with tuna (500-600 cal)
    2 chocolate chip muffins (couldnt resist).. (400 cal)

ran 9.3 miles

I know With this much exercise, I should eat more today, but I feel great and energetic and I listen to my body when it tells me its hungry or not, so for today this is it!

read about leptin.

you can't always trust your body to tell you when you need food. if your hormone levels get out of whack, you may feel satiated even though your body is crying out for more calories.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    is this dumbed down enough not to get locked?]

You'd think!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    From a junky diet to under eating? And you run a lot. This is not a good strategy. At all. :frown:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    just so that everyone responding is clear... the OP has posted 2 previous threads about trying to lose 20lbs in 21 days by eating a low calorie diet and running between 9-12 miles every day.

both of those threads were locked and deleted by the moderators because such "behavior" violates the "no VLCD" clause in the TOS.

on the previous threads, many people chimed in to tell the OP how unsafe this would be. a few chimed in to tell her to "go for it".

i would personally like to see the OP come to the realization that such a goal is not only potentially harmful, but very difficult to adhere to, and actually mathematically impossible to achieve.

there is nothing wrong with goals. there is nothing wrong with aggressive goals. i hope the OP dials back her expectations and chooses a goal she can actually reach that will give her the confidence to continue setting new goals. you didn't put on 20lbs in 21 days, so you're not going to take off 20lbs in 21 days either.

just like in Aesop's fable about the tortoise and the hare, slow and steady wins the race!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    just so that everyone responding is clear... the OP has posted 2 previous threads about trying to lose 20lbs in 21 days be eating a low calorie diet and running between 9-12 miles every day.

both of those threads were locked and deleted by the moderators because such "behavior" violates the "no VLCD" clause in the TOS.

on the previous threads, many people chimed in to tell the OP how unsafe this would be. a few chimed in to tell her to "go for it".

i would personally like to see the OP come to the realization that such a goal is not only potentially harmful, but very difficult to adhere to, and actually mathematically impossible to achieve.

there is nothing wrong with goals. there is nothing wrong with aggressive goals. i hope the OP dials back her expectations and chooses a goal she can actually reach that will give her the confidence to continue setting new goals. you didn't put on 20lbs in 21 days, so you're not going to take off 20lbs in 21 days either.

just like in Aesop's fable about the tortoise and the hare, slow and steady wins the race!

Oh, wow, thanks for the update.

To the OP: seriously, you need to rethink your strategy and/or seek professional help.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Keep listening to your body and you're going to end up in the hospital.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    just so that everyone responding is clear... the OP has posted 2 previous threads about trying to lose 20lbs in 21 days be eating a low calorie diet and running between 9-12 miles every day.

Oh, wow, thanks for the update.

To the OP: seriously, you need to rethink your strategy and/or seek professional help.

^ This. Look, OP, I've been there and done that with the ridiculous cardio regime. I shed 10 pounds a year. It wasn't until I got my diet squared away that everything fell into place. Taking an extreme approach to training or your diet will screw everything up, it's better to take a balanced approach and it is very, very effective.
  • pan0ramic
    Options
    Here my experience. I used to run 10 mi a week (lame!) and would drink too much booze and eat too much junk food. I had gained almost 30 pounds! 3 months ago I started MFP and through a change in diet and added cardio, I have lost all of the weight (just a couple of pounds left).

I now run almost daily, and did a half-marathon yesterday "for fun" and just to see if I could do it. I have been upping my runs during the past few weeks and I'm now up to 35-45 mi per week.

-Upping the cardio pushed me from plateau back to weight loss
    -Adding a tiny bit of weight training may have added this push from plateau once my body adjusted to the new exercize
    -Even though I do an hour (or more) of cardio per day, I don't seem to be losing the last few pounds any faster than the other 30.

Finally:

Cardio saved my diet. I found that I want to eat 1200-1500 calories per day regardless of workout. Long workouts make me a bit more hungry so I'll do 1600-1900. ALL of this is under my calorie goals of 1300/day + exercise. So by running every day, I was able to satiate my hunger every time and I was no longer going hungry! This was a reason to exercise alone. I loved seeing that I had 400 calories left at night so I could have a sensible snack (I eat about as healthy as anyone could eat, and I'm vegan).

It's quite possible that I could eat more and lose the same (more?) but I don't really want to risk it. The oft mentioned "eat more to lose" sounds like wishful thinking to me.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Beating+the+dead+horse.jpg
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    You could set your watch by them. Seriously.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    OP, serious, constructive question: where in your day did the run fit in? Before the muffins?
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    ^^ yup...
  • Chococatte
    Chococatte Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow Great Post! I Am A Newbie to Running and I have been training now for almost 3 1/2 Weeks. I want to Run My first 5k in November. I'm Keeping My Fingers Crossed. I'm not a Vegan but I am a Vegetarian. I have to eat fish once in a while. (Shame????)
    I would love to know since you are quite an experienced runner, should I eat the same amount of calories I burn in a training session? Or should I half my caloric intake? I definitely do eat after my workouts usually soup & salads. I've never been a bread fan so my intake of that is fairly low. Should I be eating more? I'm quite confused about that? I would love to hear your advice. Thank-you. ????
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

You have a rather large spoon
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
    pick better, healthier foods
    Unless you're training for a race, back off some of the running and add some body weight resistance exercises (squats, push-ups, planks)

Listen to people who know what they are talking about

Or

Destroy your body permanently with insane cardio and malnutrition

Your call
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what you were eating to get fat, while running two hours a day?!?!

Wow, 150 is fat for 5'6"!?? Hmmm what was I thinking, my goal weight is 155-160.smdh
This discussion has been closed.