People losing weight with lots of cardio

Options

Replies

• IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what you were eating to get fat, while running two hours a day?!?!

Wow, 150 is fat for 5'6"!?? Hmmm what was I thinking, my goal weight is 155-160.smdh
    I might be wrong in understanding the original comment, but i read it as to get fat as in fat in the diet, not her getting fat as she hasnt said she is.....
    But then I might be wrong... Ho hum
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    You could set your watch by them. Seriously.

What exactly do you mean by this? Are your supportive of the OP's potentially dangerous weight loss aspirations and upset that MFP members would tell her so? Or, was the OP's post a fake one and an attempt at some sick psycho-social experiment to watch how regular & frequent MFP posters would respond to such a crazy weight loss scheme?

Either way, shame of you (and the OP if applicable).
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    OP, serious, constructive question: where in your day did the run fit in? Before the muffins?

after the metabolic damage, but before the hospital stay
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what you were eating to get fat, while running two hours a day?!?!

Wow, 150 is fat for 5'6"!?? Hmmm what was I thinking, my goal weight is 155-160.smdh

It's certainly not thin. Check the charts.

It may be a good first step goal, but the reality is that it is still overweight. Don't get offended by people further along in the process.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Wow Great Post! I Am A Newbie to Running and I have been training now for almost 3 1/2 Weeks. I want to Run My first 5k in November. I'm Keeping My Fingers Crossed. I'm not a Vegan but I am a Vegetarian. I have to eat fish once in a while. (Shame????)
    I would love to know since you are quite an experienced runner, should I eat the same amount of calories I burn in a training session? Or should I half my caloric intake? I definitely do eat after my workouts usually soup & salads. I've never been a bread fan so my intake of that is fairly low. Should I be eating more? I'm quite confused about that? I would love to hear your advice. Thank-you. ????

No, it's not.
    OP is eating poorly and begging for over training injuries. She needs to eat more food, healthier foods, more protein. And at a minimum eat back her exercise cals.

Do not follow her plan
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You could set your watch by them. Seriously.

So you think this plan is healthy and the OP should go ahead with it?
  • HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm no pro, but I do tend to give credibility to the majority. If you'll read the forum on success stories, you'll see a theme of consistency. You won't see a lot of people talk about how much success they had on any starvation diet.

So if you think you're the 1 person out there who can beat the odds and try it, with no repercussions, that's your choice. Haven't you read or heard about people who do crazy diets, lose and then gain it all back?

Some of the fitness instructors where I work out are overweight. They all have said it has to do with diet. They teach every day, and if their diet isn't good, they still gain.

I've also read that if you eat too little, you'll lose muscle. If you are a runner, I'm not sure why you'd want to risk that because you are impatient. Just stop eating junk, feed your body good food in moderation and it should come off reasonably.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Keep listening to your body and you're going to end up in the hospital.

^this
  • hazellac
    hazellac Posts: 90 Member
    Options

So now pizza is junk food?

Depends on the pizza perhaps but the ones I ate were most definitely junk food. :smile:
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    10 mile run and only eating 1100 calories? This screams eating disorder. Or at least headed down that road. Starving, then binging, then starving, then anorexia, etc.

Eat a reasonable amount of calories. "Listening to your body" is a copout excuse. There's a reason we have brains, our brains allow us to use intelligence to survive. Extensive cardio has an appetite blunting effect. Hormones responsible for hunger and satiety are trained to respond to eating patterns.

Eat more. As a marathon runner, you should know better.

Trust me...I eat, alot, and am not an anorexic person defending people with eating disorders, but this single day of eating is not criteria for an eating disorder, like anorexia. If the person said things like, "I ran 10 miles after I ate 1100 calories for the day because I was afraid of getting fat" or "I only ate 1100 calories today because I was feeling fat" etc. they may have some disordered thinking. This person said they know they didn't eat enough that day, but felt great anyway, and listened to their body. That is called intuitive eating. Yes, her calories were way low for that single day, but mindset is not that of someone with an eating disorder. Someone with anorexia feels tortured when they have to eat, feels deep guilt and regret for eating almost any food containing calories and has an overwhelming fear of getting fat, even when they are no where near fat. Just some "food for thought'
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    10 mile run and only eating 1100 calories? This screams eating disorder. Or at least headed down that road. Starving, then binging, then starving, then anorexia, etc.

Eat a reasonable amount of calories. "Listening to your body" is a copout excuse. There's a reason we have brains, our brains allow us to use intelligence to survive. Extensive cardio has an appetite blunting effect. Hormones responsible for hunger and satiety are trained to respond to eating patterns.

Trust me...I eat, alot, and am not an anorexic person defending people with eating disorders, but this single day of eating is not criteria for an eating disorder, like anorexia. If the person said things like, "I ran 10 miles after I ate 1100 calories for the day because I was afraid of getting fat" or "I only ate 1100 calories today because I was feeling fat" etc. they may have some disordered thinking. This person said they know they didn't eat enough that day, but felt great anyway, and listened to their body. That is called intuitive eating. Yes, her calories were way low for that single day, but mindset is not that of someone with an eating disorder. Someone with anorexia feels tortured when they have to eat, feels deep guilt and regret for eating almost any food containing calories and has an overwhelming fear of getting fat, even when they are no where near fat. Just some "food for thought'
    ^^ Agree entirely, she knows her mindset and she's seeing how it goes.
  • hazellac
    Options

So now pizza is junk food?

Depends on the pizza perhaps but the ones I ate were most definitely junk food. :smile:

So if I go to my local pizzeria, order 2 plain slices, is that junk food?

Seriously? I'm not the pizza police - just saying I ate a lot of junk food including pizza - the pizzas I ate were junk, I didn't state ALL pizza was junk food. I think maybe you might need to sit down with a nice cup of tea and relax a little. :laugh:
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Vegan but I am a Vegetarian. I have to eat fish once in a while. (Shame????)

Then you're not a vegan or a vegetarian. You're a pescetarian.

Vegetarian - Does not eat ANY meat. Is allowed dairy.
    Vegan - Does not eat ANY meat or dairy.
    Pescetarian - Does not eat meat EXCEPT for seafood. Is also allowed dairy.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

You missed the first post (now deleted) where the OP said she only planned to eat 1000 calories a day while running 10 miles a day for the next three weeks. She's since 'cleaned' it up to try to avoid her third deleted thread in the past 12 hours.

Planning to eat 1000 calories doesn't sound very intuitive to me.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Vegan but I am a Vegetarian. I have to eat fish once in a while. (Shame????)

Do you know how you can tell if someone is vegan? Don't worry, they'll tell you they're vegan!!!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Do you know how you can tell if someone is vegan? Don't worry, they'll f***ing tell you they're vegan!!!

even when they are not. :laugh:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/03/bill-clinton-pretending-to-be-a-vegan-so-he-can-talk-about-being-a-vegan/
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Eating 1100 calories while running 9+ miles a day isn't a valid weight loss strategy, it's madness bordering on an ED.

Also, "junk food" is another one of those weasel words that doesn't actually mean anything.
  • hazellac
    Options
    I think maybe you might need to sit down with a nice cup of tea and relax a little. :laugh:

You're joking right? Come off the forum? Don't you realise how dangerous that is for people in the 'fragile ego' category.

Without.... attention... they cannot.. will... not survive

Do you WANT people to be HOSPITALISED or something!? :noway: :wink:

I apologise profusely, I most certainly would not want to damage an ego, especially one of the fragile kind! I retract aforementioned statement - please continue :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.