People losing weight with lots of cardio

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose weight while doing a lot of cardio is to eat enough calories not to starve your body. Heck you could just cut down the junk food a bit and lose weight, probably. Just count your calories, make sure you NET 1200 calories at least by eating your exercise calories back and you'll be fine.

The main thing really is that if you don't eat enough, you'll probably feel too weak to run. You don't want to do that.
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    10 mile run and only eating 1100 calories? This screams eating disorder. Or at least headed down that road. Starving, then binging, then starving, then anorexia, etc.

Eat a reasonable amount of calories. "Listening to your body" is a copout excuse. There's a reason we have brains, our brains allow us to use intelligence to survive. Extensive cardio has an appetite blunting effect. Hormones responsible for hunger and satiety are trained to respond to eating patterns.

Eat more. As a marathon runner, you should know better.

Trust me...I eat, alot, and am not an anorexic person defending people with eating disorders, but this single day of eating is not criteria for an eating disorder, like anorexia. If the person said things like, "I ran 10 miles after I ate 1100 calories for the day because I was afraid of getting fat" or "I only ate 1100 calories today because I was feeling fat" etc. they may have some disordered thinking. This person said they know they didn't eat enough that day, but felt great anyway, and listened to their body. That is called intuitive eating. Yes, her calories were way low for that single day, but mindset is not that of someone with an eating disorder. Someone with anorexia feels tortured when they have to eat, feels deep guilt and regret for eating almost any food containing calories and has an overwhelming fear of getting fat, even when they are no where near fat. Just some "food for thought'

You missed the first post (now deleted) where the OP said she only planned to eat 1000 calories a day while running 10 miles a day for the next three weeks. She's since 'cleaned' it up to try to avoid her third deleted thread in the past 12 hours.

Planning to eat 1000 calories doesn't sound very intuitive to me.

Yes, I did miss that deleted post and THAT makes all the difference. Thanks for the clarification. That would definitely be cause for concern with eating disorders. EAT nutritious food that fuels your body for the activity you are going to do. You only hurt yourelf in the end by doing ridiculous roller coaster dieting.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you might need to sit down with a nice cup of tea and relax a little. :laugh:

You're joking right? Come off the forum? Don't you realise how dangerous that is for people in the 'fragile ego' category.

Without.... attention... they cannot.. will... not survive

Do you WANT people to be HOSPITALISED or something!? :noway: :wink:

The only person in danger of hospitalization is the OP, who is running a daily calorie deficit of around 1700.

That is, her calorie deficit is larger than her BMR. She's netting roughly zero calories per day.

That's awesome of you to support her in her starvation diet though. You should be proud for encouraging an ED in a young woman.
  • Chococatte
    Chococatte Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ????My post wasn't directed at OP, it was for Panoramic seeing that he is a runner. I don't support her eating or exercise habits. In the end though regardless of how much support or advice you try to give someone to steer them in the right direction, people are ultimately going to do what they want until they are willing to put there situation in the right perspective. ????
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I got in this to lose weight, by I changed my goal to getting fit. It includes lots of running, the healthiest diet I can manage, and until I started training for a marathon, strength training. Once I finish the big M, I will be back to strength training.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what you were eating to get fat, while running two hours a day?!?!

Wow, 150 is fat for 5'6"!?? Hmmm what was I thinking, my goal weight is 155-160.smdh

It's certainly not thin. Check the charts.

It may be a good first step goal, but the reality is that it is still overweight. Don't get offended by people further along in the process.

150 pounds at 5'6 is at the top of the healthy weight range for women.

vhstwn.gif

From http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html :

"Your BMI is 24.2, indicating your weight is in the Normal category for adults of your height.

For your height (5'6), a normal weight range would be from 115 to 154 pounds."
  • Chococatte
    Chococatte Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    ????Thank you for the clarification between Vegan & Vegetarian, I'm not sure if you were trying to be rude or not? Again though my post was for Panoramic not Op, I do not support unhealthy eating or exercising habits. Thank you.????
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you run marathons? How do you train on 1100 calories a day? I run marathons and I would crash and burn on that amount. That's just not sustainable...You're gonna end up burning all your lean muscle and injuring yourself. Fuel your runs! :flowerforyou:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I just want to know what you were eating to get fat, while running two hours a day?!?!

Wow, 150 is fat for 5'6"!?? Hmmm what was I thinking, my goal weight is 155-160.smdh

It may be a good first step goal, but the reality is that it is still overweight. Don't get offended by people further along in the process.

vhstwn.gif

Yes. 150 pounds at 5'6" is a BMI of 24.2 and, in our very overweight environment, at the top of the "normal" weight range for women. Like I said, it is a good first goal. It's certainly not thin and you have to consider how skewed things are these days. Every doctor I know, absent obvious muscle build, would encourage such a person to lose weight.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    ????Thank you for the clarification between Vegan & Vegetarian, I'm not sure if you were trying to be rude or not? Again though my post was for Panoramic not Op, I do not support unhealthy eating or exercising habits. Thank you.????

Rude? Not at all....just stating the difference because it's something a lot of people seem to be confused about. Didn't think there was anything rude about my response.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

valid question-- I am addicted to sugar and consume most of my calories in chocolate, candy, chips, and empty carbs. I have a very unhealthy diet which is why i gained weight in spite of my training. this is my journey to get healthy and lose weight

How many calories were you eating? It's natural for your body to crave carbs with all that running. I'd suggest feeding your sweet tooth while also transitioning to carbs with more nutritients and fiber. Oats with chocolate chips and peanut butter. Wholemeal toast with Nutella or chocolate peanut butter. Cocoa or cinnamon roast almonds. Grilled pineapple or peaches drizzled w/ honey or maple syrup. Runners need carbs, but the fiber will help you feel full longer. And fruits and whole grains have nutrients beyond just carbs.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

vhstwn.gif

Yes. 150 pounds at 5'6" is a BMI of 24.2 and, in our very overweight environment, at the top of the "normal" weight range for women. Like I said, it is a good first goal. It's certainly not thin and you have to consider how skewed things are these days. Every doctor I know, absent obvious muscle build, would encourage such a person to lose weight.

I have never been encouraged by a Dr to lose weight and my BMI has been above that.

The 'healthy' bracket is statistically meant to be where your weight is unlikely to affect your health. My mum IS hassled by her Dr at the top end of healthy, due to heart problems. My weight distribution is similar to hers and I prefer to be around a BMI of 20-21 to avoid such problems, but I doubt most drs would even blink at a high 'healthy' BMI in a healthy person.
  • Rays_Wife
    Options

vhstwn.gif

Well I prefer to keep my boobs and butt. I'm 5'6.5 and when I was under 150 pounds I lost them. When I weighed around 155 I always received compliments about how I had a nice body. I was happy with how i looked. I've always had a lot of muscle mass. If that makes me "overweight" by your standards, so be it. Let me ask you, how much do you think all women should weigh? 120 or under? What would a truly healthy weight for a 5'6 woman be then? No trying to be snarky, just seriously wondering. I'm trying to get back to 155 pounds. That is my GOAL.

sorry to hijack the thread with unrelated topic, this just really hit a hot button with me. Maybe we could start another thread about this lol
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

vhstwn.gif

Well I prefer to keep my boobs and butt. I'm 5'6.5 and when I was under 150 pounds I lost them. When I weighed around 155 I always received compliments about how I had a nice body. I was happy with how i looked. I've always had a lot of muscle mass. If that makes me "overweight" by your standards, so be it. Let me ask you, how much do you think all women should weigh? 120 or under? What would a truly healthy weight for a 5'6 woman be then? No trying to be snarky, just seriously wondering. I'm trying to get back to 155 pounds. That is my GOAL.

Your goal is fine. You're clearly some distance away from your goal. I personally think a goal of a 24+ BMI with minimal lean mass is a good first goal, but it's the kind of goal that will usually change once achieved. It's certainly not what most people would consider ideal.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    in-before-lock.gif
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

vhstwn.gif

I find that I enjoy being athletic as does my wife. I'm not going to apologize for that or my views. My own goals also evolved over time.

If your goal is to "not be overweight" according to the BMI charts, and that makes you happy, then that is great. Good for you. Just don't get offended when someone else doesn't find that to be the end all be all for them (as per the objection above).
  • Rays_Wife
    Options

Your goal is fine. You're clearly some distance away from your goal. I personally think a goal of a 24+ BMI with minimal lean mass is a good first goal, but it's the kind of goal that will usually change once achieved. It's certainly not what most people would consider ideal.
    [/quote]

Ok thanks guys. i appreciate the input. jonnythan i sent you a message as i didnt want to hijack the thread anymore.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    bump, just thought the fore mentioned booked looked interesting. Happy Thursday!
  • Rays_Wife
    Options

I find that I enjoy being athletic as does my wife. I'm not going to apologize for that or my views. My own goals also evolved over time.

If your goal is to "not be overweight" according to the BMI charts, and that makes you happy, then that is great. Good for you. Just don't get offended when someone else doesn't find that to be the end all be all for them (as per the objection above).

Oh no I wasn't offended. I see what you're saying. Thanks for your thoughts.
This discussion has been closed.