Me who just don't care about sports (feel like the only one)

Options

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I live in North Carolina so it is mandatory that all men, women and children choose a college basketball team to pull for (Usually UNC or Duke with NC State coming in 3rd)

Other than that I like NFL and I enjoy baseball if I'm at a game, live.

Football is pretty big around here too.

Does anybody care about pro basketball anymore? Anybody?

millions of people care about the NBA. even more so now that college basketball is even less watchable than the NBA.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My hubby is the same way. The only sports we watch are the occasional NASCAR race and sometimes golf if nothing else is on. He's more of an outdoor sports guy - fishing, hunting, motorsports (4 wheeling, snowmobiling). Totally fine by me!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is this way. I think it's hilarious when I'm on my feet screaming at the tv and look over and he's looking at me like I've grown an extra head.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    To be clear, I don't think anyone is talking about 'boycotting' sports. I simply am not at all interested in them. I realize the gov and sports are completely unrelated (except when congress was somehow involved in steroids and baseball...that happened right?) I'm just troubled by the fact that people can reel off every statistic for their favorite sports jocks but don't generally have a CLUE what's going on in the world. So it's more the fact that many (not all) people are fine with spending absurd amounts of money pouring their money into sports and other entertainment, but are pretty oblivious to the real world happening around them. I'm not here to point the finger, I'm guilty too. I blow tons of money on big TV's and fancy stereo equipment to watch movies and play Xbox on, but this wasn't about that.
    More than likely because money we spend on sports (or any entertainment value) is controlled by us. We have no say on how our taxes are spent which is why many people don't want to pay anymore than they legally have to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    To be clear, I don't think anyone is talking about 'boycotting' sports. I simply am not at all interested in them. I realize the gov and sports are completely unrelated (except when congress was somehow involved in steroids and baseball...that happened right?) I'm just troubled by the fact that people can reel off every statistic for their favorite sports jocks but don't generally have a CLUE what's going on in the world. So it's more the fact that many (not all) people are fine with spending absurd amounts of money pouring their money into sports and other entertainment, but are pretty oblivious to the real world happening around them. I'm not here to point the finger, I'm guilty too. I blow tons of money on big TV's and fancy stereo equipment to watch movies and play Xbox on, but this wasn't about that.
    More than likely because money we spend on sports (or any entertainment value) is controlled by us. We have no say on how our taxes are spent which is why many people don't want to pay anymore than they legally have to.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

That's not the point though. It's the value that people place in certain things as being more important than others. Agree or disagree with the government, and those who control it; what they do has a much greater effect on you (in the long run) than that sports game. Yes, the entertainment is instant gratification and can take us away from the ****ty realities of the real world but most people don't even have a handle on what those realities are. We're on the brink of getting dragged into another war and most people have no idea. When a team or league goes on strike people lose their minds. If their local fire department went on strike they probably wouldn't know or care until their house was on fire.

Again, I'm not anti-sports, I don't think anyone here is saying they boycott sports because of the money. We just are not entertained by them but as part of the discussion, the money came up as another thing to talk about. Many of you wouldn't spend $60 on a video game, but I will. I think the point some of us are making is that peoples priorities are all messed up. This thread is about sports, so we are commenting on sports. If the thread was about Robert Downey Junior, the sentiments would be similar. He gets paid way too much too and plenty of people know every little tid bit about Iron Man and zilch about the real world. Our culture just places an absurdly high value on instant gratification and entertainment and really don't pay enough attention to the world around us. We're all part of the problem, no one is pointing the finger.

Sorry OP, I'm done now- GO SPORTS TEAM! RA RA RA!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

That's not the point though. It's the value that people place in certain things as being more important than others. Agree or disagree with the government, and those who control it; what they do has a much greater effect on you (in the long run) than that sports game. Yes, the entertainment is instant gratification and can take us away from the ****ty realities of the real world but most people don't even have a handle on what those realities are. We're on the brink of getting dragged into another war and most people have no idea. When a team or league goes on strike people lose their minds. If their local fire department went on strike they probably wouldn't know or care until their house was on fire.

Again, I'm not anti-sports, I don't think anyone here is saying they boycott sports because of the money. We just are not entertained by them but as part of the discussion, the money came up as another thing to talk about. Many of you wouldn't spend $60 on a video game, but I will. I think the point some of us are making is that peoples priorities are all messed up. This thread is about sports, so we are commenting on sports. If the thread was about Robert Downey Junior, the sentiments would be similar. He gets paid way too much too and plenty of people know every little tid bit about Iron Man and zilch about the real world. Our culture just places an absurdly high value on instant gratification and entertainment and really don't pay enough attention to the world around us. We're all part of the problem, no one is pointing the finger.

Part of the reality is that people would rather focus on what they can control rather on what they can't. For example, obesity is a huge issue in the US. As a trainer, I CAN'T make people stop over consuming. That's an issue they have to want to do. But I can control how much I eat, drink, exercise etc.
    We can't stop an impending war (we can protest, but really how much does it really do?) since the powers that be make the decision. The world has gone on through many bad situations and if people are going to want to suffer along with situations they have no control over, then have at it. The world is still going to go on.
    I'd personally would rather spend my time cheering or ranting on my team (SF GIANTS are killin' me right now) because they are a much more a part of my life than what's happening in Syria.

IDEA Fitness member
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

You are missing the point though, if you don't want or agree that Tom Brady should be making $20MM+ this year then you know what you don't have to do anything to subsidize that salary at all. You don't have to buy a ticket, watch a game, buy a t-shirt, etc... BUT if they started deciding that fire fighters or teachers should make $150k/year I would have ZERO choice but to pony up more of my hard earned tax money to pay for that.

Never mind the fact that ANYONE who CHOOSES to become a teacher, fire fighter, police officer, civil servant, etc... knew EXACTLY what salary they were getting in to in the first damn place and frankly those jobs don't require exceptional skills, and shouldn't be paid like they do.
  • flet2
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Part of the reality is that people would rather focus on what they can control rather on what they can't. For example, obesity is a huge issue in the US. As a trainer, I CAN'T make people stop over consuming. That's an issue they have to want to do. But I can control how much I eat, drink, exercise etc.
    We can't stop an impending war (we can protest, but really how much does it really do?) since the powers that be make the decision. The world has gone on through many bad situations and if people are going to want to suffer along with situations they have no control over, then have at it. The world is still going to go on.
    I'd personally would rather spend my time cheering or ranting on my team (SF GIANTS are killin' me right now) because they are a much more a part of my life than what's happening in Syria.

IDEA Fitness member

Yea I hear yah. I do think that if the millions of sports fans channeled even just a portion of their energy into a cause that mattered though, it could make a difference and give them some control. "the powers that be" are there because people vote for them. If people paid more attention, they might make better choices and give some of the power to those who are more worthy of having it. The problem of course being that just like sports teams, we can't all agree on a cause or way of doings things either so we're still pretty helpless. Unfortunately politics and world issues are a lot like a playoff game with two teams no one likes, it's simply too painful for many to watch. In the end though, there is much more at stake than a stupid trophy, so that's what irks me.

Back to topic though- It must be sports season because the office chatter is turning to stats and predictions . Time to put on my headphones!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I used to be a hardcore College B-ball, and Pro Football fan. On any given Sunday, I would have about 5+ Fantasy Football leagues and a couple Pick'em leagues. Nowadays, I only follow football and I've been Fantasy sports free for 6 years.. I just don't have the time to commit to all the sports. I enjoy the World Cup, when it's on. And I like to follow pro tennis but I don't watch.

When we turn on the TV to watch football, my wife is yelling at the TV louder than I am. It took years of answering questions (during the game) and explaining stats to get her to a point where she is regularly beating my friends in Fantasy Football and yelling at the ref. I'm so proud.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    i dont understand how people cant be amazed at the feats athletes perform during their games. to see the human body pushed to its limits is extremely entertaining and inspiring.

i just dont get writing off an entire group of entertainment. it would be like someone saying the dont like any music. not liking any sports or any music makes me wonder if that person is human or an alien spy. :D

i love just about everything. sports, music, politics, tv, art, dance etc...
  • RunWinterGarden
    Options

Yea I hear yah. I do think that if the millions of sports fans channeled even just a portion of their energy into a cause that mattered though, it could make a difference and give them some control. "the powers that be" are there because people vote for them. If people paid more attention, they might make better choices and give some of the power to those who are more worthy of having it. The problem of course being that just like sports teams, we can't all agree on a cause or way of doings things either so we're still pretty helpless. Unfortunately politics and world issues are a lot like a playoff game with two teams no one likes, it's simply too painful for many to watch. In the end though, there is much more at stake than a stupid trophy, so that's what irks me.

Back to topic though- It must be sports season because the office chatter is turning to stats and predictions . Time to put on my headphones!

Except that people do that all of the time and most people call them "nut bags" or "lunatics" and unfriend them off Facebook or just ignore them in general. Let's face facts, we are not in a revolutionary stage in our government and until we are nothing is going to change for the better. So people like to take to sports to remind them of the purity of life, you know the team/player that's better wins, something that we seem to be forgetting over and over in this society.
  • flet2
    Options

You are missing the point though, if you don't want or agree that Tom Brady should be making $20MM+ this year then you know what you don't have to do anything to subsidize that salary at all. You don't have to buy a ticket, watch a game, buy a t-shirt, etc... BUT if they started deciding that fire fighters or teachers should make $150k/year I would have ZERO choice but to pony up more of my hard earned tax money to pay for that.

Never mind the fact that ANYONE who CHOOSES to become a teacher, fire fighter, police officer, civil servant, etc... knew EXACTLY what salary they were getting in to in the first damn place and frankly those jobs don't require exceptional skills, and shouldn't be paid like they do.

Who is this "they" you speak of? "They" are put there by "us" and you can vote, you can write your representatives, sign petitions and ultimately help decide who "They" are. Unfortunately just like me not buying a Tom Brady T-shirt won't make him go away, me writing my rep won't make him vote my way either but you do still have that choice.

edit. this sounds like a puff daddy "vote or die" campaign haha. I just think people should probably care more about some of the other things in life, even if they are ultimately pretty well insulated from them.
  • RunWinterGarden
    Options

i just dont get writing off an entire group of entertainment. it would be like someone saying the dont like any music. not liking any sports or any music makes me wonder if that person is human or an alien spy. :D

My favorite is when someone is super passionate about something like music or movies and then says that sports fans are whackos. I don't get a passion for music personally because I'm not artistic in anyway, but I totally get how someone CAN have that passion (if that makes sense).
  • flet2
    Options
    i dont understand how people cant be amazed at the feats athletes perform during their games. to see the human body pushed to its limits is extremely entertaining and inspiring.

Yea I just don't get into team sports based around a ball, which i think is what the OP was hitting on. Athletes and feats of amazing human ability come in lots of flavors though. I love watching my favorite snowboards take it to the next level when their new video parts drop every winter and I still can't even fathom the amount of talent that Eli Tomac and Ryan Villopoto showed in the outdoor MX series this year.
  • marionmmm
    Options
    Huge fan of the NFL. I will watch as many games as I possibly can, make fun of Tom Brady and Ben Roethlisberger, drink whiskey, eat spicy wings, try to spot the penalties before the refs or linesmen can, belch and fart.

I LOVE YOU MAN
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Yea I just don't get into team sports based around a ball, which i think is what the OP was hitting on. Athletes and feats of amazing human ability come in lots of flavors though. I love watching my favorite snowboards take it to the next level when their new video parts drop every winter and I still can't even fathom the amount of talent that Eli Tomac and Ryan Villopoto showed in the outdoor MX series this year.

i was under the impression he only watches instructional videos and does not watch any sports. thats what i dont get.
  • flet2
    Options
    Yea maybe you're right, though I think it's safe to say that as a participant in a pretty demanding and physical sport, he has an appreciation for those feats of human awesomeness so to speak.

Here's a question- for those who are incredibly passionate about a specific sport, do you currently participate or did you growing up? When i look at the sports that can follow and enjoy, they are all things that I have done, or currently do. It makes them relatable and gives you that appreciation for how awesome that move or play just was. Are there a lot of people who are crazy for something they have never really experienced for themselves?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    i played all the big sports growing up. in the case of hockey i played street hockey instead of ice. the only sport that i follow in depth that i didnt participate in growing up is F1 racing. but i did play a lot of driving video games. :D
  • Caddell
    Caddell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of pro sports. I'll watch football if it's on but rarely seek it out and don't have a team I'm crazy for, I hate the NBA, and enjoy watching hockey occasionally. I prefer college sports personally but even then I don't watch often. I swam and played tennis in school so I don't have anything against sports, I just have better things to do than fantasy whatever and scheduling times to be near a TV to watch a game.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    How many of us are there? I am an athlete myself, always have been, but I have always done individual kinds of sports and can't seem to drum up any interest at all in watching or following sports. My dad's side of the family are all sports fanatics and my cousins own a sporting-goods store. However I spent most of my time with my art-teacher mom and opera loving step-dad and it just didn't ever come on or get discussed.

Even the sports that I do (submission grappling), I only watch instructionals and highlights of competition so that I can learn and do it myself.

I don't begrudge anyone their sports and I'm not going to say I was bullied in high school by jocks or anything, heck I was a 6'3" 200lb letterman. I know there's definitely guys out there that see sports as the establishment or linked to tormentors and so hate it for that reason, but that's not me.

It can be pretty aggravating, lonely, and socially awkward to not be into sports as an american male. (In the south, in a major SEC university town no less) It's the common thread of male small-talk and getting to know you chit-chat, and there's a nice awkward pause when my response is, "Sorry, I don't watch sports."

So, I'm hoping I'm not alone here....

Bonus topic, do women get pressured or feel weird for not following sports these days? I know a LOT of female sports fans.

it's not a pre-requsite to 'LIKE' anything..sports or otherwise in the world we live in..

I'm really not sure why you have a problem with wanting to be accepted just because you don't ' like' sports.

truth be told, i have more sympathy for Jets fans than i do for you...