Me who just don't care about sports (feel like the only one)

Options

Replies

• Thruen
    Thruen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm with op, never liked watching sports, just boring as hell to me.
    Only type of sports I've started watching is e-sports :p
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Can't watch them.
    In fact, I don't watch TV at all.

There I said it.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    my husband doesn't watch sports - one of the reasons I fell madly in love with him! I've dated guys that had to schedule their lives around what time or days games came on, it's silly to me. Can't figure out the mentality of sitting on a couch yelling at a team or getting upset when they lose. My husband is athletic and likes to play sports and ride motocross, but I've never seen him in 12 years of marriage watch a televised game of any kind on TV. I <3 him.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I live in Pittsburgh, one of the biggest sports towns around and I couldn't care less about any of it. I guess it was just the way I was raised - I was never taught anything on how the various games worked, we didn't watch sports as a family, I was very rarely taken to any games. I had virtually no exposure to football, baseball, or hockey as a kid.

I don't mind going to see a game every now and again with friends, but that's really the extent of my interest.
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    almost time for football season!!!!!!!!!!! #HTTR

:drinker:

I grew up watching football every Sunday and the occasional Thursday and Monday.

9 times out of 10 there is either a Football game, Hockey game or NASCAR race on in my house. Avid sports fans over here. :smile:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Sports are way boring to me. Blecccch. Although I like hockey since I can understand it.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    i haven't read all the pages.

i just find it funny how many people i have seen who said, "i don't like sports, but i do watch ________"
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options

I think we have a serious problem in this country when we pay grown men millions of dollars a year to play games when teachers have to pay for their own classroom supplies, soldiers returning from war have to wait months or years for proper medical care and a person working sh---ty jobs for minimum wage have to work 60-80 hours a week just to put food on the table.

^^ This ^^

I'm with you on this. Couldn't care less about Pro sports.. & this whole "fantasy football/baseball/whatever" thing just baffles me.. Oh well. Each to their own.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My son loves to play sports, he is everyone possible, but to watch on TV, its like punishment for him. He says he would rather play than watch! which is fine with me since I hate watching sports on TV too...
  • kuroi19
    Options
    I'm the same. Take no pleasure in watching some teams play and never had any interest in remembering the players names.
    Even when it's something individual like say the olympics and it's some countryman of mine on the podium, It's just something to look at and a bit of admiration but doesn't drag me in enough to watch them! much more interesting are the visuals in the opening ceremony.

I get why someone would enjoy playing games, I even get why that person would go sit down and watch others play them too, they can relate and might learn something but I completely don't get why someone who doesn't actively play them would feel like watching them on tv or going to a match. And there are a lot of such people.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I DO sports but don't WATCH any on TV. I happily talk about stuff I do but can't really have a conversation about football leagues, rugby, cricket, heck I don't even follow the tennis when Wimbledon is on...

Likewise I'd much rather talk to a guy who DOES stuff than one who WATCHES stuff, so I'm sure while you have that awkward moment with the guys, you'll do okay with the ladies. :wink:

This! I have enjoyed playing sports, and love being in the gym, but for me, it doesn't translate over to watching sports on TV. When the Olympics are on, I watch a bit of that. Otherwise, nothing.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

I think we have a serious problem in this country when we pay grown men millions of dollars a year to play games when teachers have to pay for their own classroom supplies, soldiers returning from war have to wait months or years for proper medical care and a person working sh---ty jobs for minimum wage have to work 60-80 hours a week just to put food on the table.

^^ This ^^

I'm with you on this. Couldn't care less about Pro sports.. & this whole "fantasy football/baseball/whatever" thing just baffles me.. Oh well. Each to their own.

all of this! that is the number one reason why I don't, and now our state wants us taxpaers to pay for a new stadium for our football team, and they put a huge tax and tobacco...I hope everyone in MN quits smoking. When my boss wanted to build a new building for his company, I don't think taxpayers paid for it...the company paid for it! okay, end rant on overpaid whinebabies....
  • trubs182
    trubs182 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I really dislike watching most sport - especially football. The noise of football fans/crowds seriously winds me up! There's something about team sports that seems to bring out the worst in some people!

I quite enjoy rugby and will watch the Tour de France, but my big thing is motorsport; mainly two-wheeled, so BSB, WSBK, MotoGP, speedway etc. Formula 1 is good when there's nothing else on.

I used to feel I had to 'support' a football team when I was little - it was always one of the first things you were asked at school, so I pretended I supported Arsenal. For some reason, who you support almost seems to define people.
  • buttonfeet
    buttonfeet Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Never got into sports. Perhaps it's blind coincidence, but the most die-hard sports fans that I know are the most out of shape. They are the ones who are more prone to not only attribute their very their identity through "their team", but also to hurl insults at others who do the same.
    Conversely, most of the dedicated athletes in my circle do not follow sports. While some cheer because their team did something great, many others would rather strive to do something great themselves.
  • dweaddy2
    dweaddy2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No interest in team sports and almost never watch TV. I occasionally will watch a football gave if visiting with friends. It's kind of fun to pull for the other team when your friends are fantical college football fans ;-) My interest is martial arts and running (more to burn calories so I can eat)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    I quite enjoy rugby and will watch the Tour de France, but my big thing is motorsport; mainly two-wheeled, so BSB, WSBK, MotoGP, speedway etc. Formula 1 is good when there's nothing else on.

tumblr_mbibadPiCE1riqizno1_500.gif
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't like sports either. I know more about sports than he does. I love that about him!!! I have dated the guys who only care about watching sports and for me it gets old to be with someone who watches them all the time.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    OMG, marry me!

Seriously though, I deal with sports, and sports watching finatics... but honestly, it drives me crazy! My ex-hubby made life revolve around sports and his "reality" shows.... talk about out of control!

I refuse to watch sports on TV (except the olymics, and that is only a maybe), take me to the actual event and I will have a MUCH better time, but there is no guarantee that I will actually be paying attention to the sport :wink:

Where I live, most of the women I'm around love sports too, so I definitely feel outnumbered at times, but it really doesn't bother me that much. I do my thing, and they do theirs.
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love men who aren't sports fanatics.:heart: I don't see the point of living vicariously through other people and claiming a team as "yours" when you're not on it.
  • msneave
    Options
    A lot of guys I know are super athletic and not into sports. My ex boyfriend who was also a personal trainer like me was into professional cycling, skateboarding and motorsports. My bf of 7 years lifts weights regularly and is into bow hunting, hiking, and motorcycles and doesn't get men who watch football or golf etc. but he's still friends with plenty of them.

A few guys at the personal training studio where I work couldn't care less about sports and these are hardcore marathoners or ultramarathoners or bodybuilders.

I personally find traditional sports boring and never enjoyed any of the sports I played in school. I do love watching parkour athletes, aerialists, martial artists, adventure racers, and skateboarders do amazing things with their bodies and I don't really care if the people in my life don't share my passion for those types of sports. I've been exercising my whole life and love to hike, aerial dance, and when I get the chance I go bouldering or kayaking. I find more motivation/inspiration in non traditional sports.

Sounds to me like you might be into more sophisticated sports than football basketball which could make you the more interesting person in the conversation. EVERYBODY talks about the stupid foosball as my boyfriend calls it but the guys at my gym who talk about the more obscure type sports are always way more fun to chat with : )