We trashed the sodas, chips, cookies

Options

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    OP said that under the supervision of his/her doctor, nutritionist, and personal trainer, s/he and a buddy made some changes that led to losses of 12 and 14 pounds in two months, and that he/she is pleased about this progress and highly motivated to continue.

many caps edited

Aw, I liked the caps :smile:

Lol! :) I liked making them, but you're right, I went a bit lunchtime-cafeteria, and was not proud.

LOL. I think we're all picking cheez its out of our hair on this one.

haha, yup, i'd have chucked fish fingers, probably.

i feel like the senior Thicke best expressed most pragmatists' feelings about this whole debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0CYJNw9YJQ
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I only read a couple of pages of this...

roll it, please.
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options

But this is ridiculous...I cannot understand why so many of the people on here are so rude...

There are nicer ways to say things to people if you don't agree. Just because you've lost a few pounds, you think you have the right to be a jerk to someone who is doing something differently than you?

This is supposed to be a place for SUPPORT AND EDUCATION.

Sure, I have carbs. I have pasta a couple of times a week. I have junk food sometimes. No, I don't think a completely restrictive diet is a good idea for long-term, sustainable weight loss. But geeeez. If that's their problem, then let them get rid of it.

The way, young padawans is moderation...let them get the idea of junk food as a staple, and then show them how to eat the good stuff in moderation.

People come here saying thank you, and they get attacked and belittled for the WAY they got healthy.

Things like this make me glad I never came when I was just starting out. If I'd gotten attacked like that, I'd have left this place and not lost a pound.

Yes. Moderation. Not "these are poison and I must throw them all out and perform a cleanse."

untitled_zpsee21182c.png

But... but... Jillian says to .... So it must not be wasteful or misleading. :laugh:

LOL :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options
    The OP has the ear marks of a troll post...............especially the follow ups......lol.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlRyux2F4d2iqdNJLzRokEQTP8dH09uxCcpBI6b8Ax_9pDI0zK
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    In, for trash cookies....

DSC_0002.JPG
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    In, for trash cookies....

DSC_0002.JPG

I need these in my mouth.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    If it was perfectly good food we would not have thrown it out. I didn't send it to the food bank.
    We don't send ciqarettes to the food bank.

If we choose to donate we want to make sure we are keeping our principals up., now that we are becoming educated on food. I want to make sure that the food bank is getting the same good quality that we are eating. not products that we are putting in our garden waste. The only good thing is that it is biodegradable.

I know I sound excited but I am so stoked with this new energy |i have got from eating well. and the new lifestyle we have got going for ourselves.
    If you think throwing out a bunch if perfectly good food, and a lot of false garbage about chemical manipulation and addiction makes you "educated" about food, you need quite a bit more education. The chemicals in diet soda are mostly essential nutrients your body needs, aspartame is just protein, aspartic acid and phenylalanine, most of the preservatives are various types of minerals like potassium, phosphorus, and sodium (all are essential minerals,) etc.

The only thing you did was pour a bunch of wasted money down the drain and out to the trash. Not a single food you threw out was bad for you. Eating too much of any of those foods is bad, but then, drinking too much water is also bad for you, and to be fair, belt eating too much pure oxygen is bad for you also.

So, based on your logic, you may as well hold your breath and stop drinking water, also.

after-fatality-mortal-kombat.jpg
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options

But this is ridiculous...I cannot understand why so many of the people on here are so rude...

There are nicer ways to say things to people if you don't agree. Just because you've lost a few pounds, you think you have the right to be a jerk to someone who is doing something differently than you?

Sure, I have carbs. I have pasta a couple of times a week. I have junk food sometimes. No, I don't think a completely restrictive diet is a good idea for long-term, sustainable weight loss. But geeeez. If that's their problem, then let them get rid of it.

The way, young padawans is moderation...let them get the idea of junk food as a staple, and then show them how to eat the good stuff in moderation.

People come here saying thank you, and they get attacked and belittled for the WAY they got healthy.

Things like this make me glad I never came when I was just starting out. If I'd gotten attacked like that, I'd have left this place and not lost a pound.

Yes. Moderation. Not "these are poison and I must throw them all out and perform a cleanse."

You entirely missed the point I was making.

I find it hard to deal with the fact that so many people here are so rude. If you don't agree with a person, either don't comment, or say it nicely.

We were all at "that point" once. Where we wanted a change, and didn't know how to get there.

How is it helpful to belittle people for their choices???

Dissenting opinions =/= belittling.

The "don't hurt my feelings" or "don't disagree with me or it's rude" attitude is really a good example of the over sensitivity of an entire generation. Would you like a participation trophy as well?

Not sure why I'm bothering but...

With all due respect, a "dissenting opinion" would have been, "That was an interesting way of going about starting your weight loss journey. For me, personally, I wouldn't do that. I have found that limiting myself completely like that has lead to some binging tendencies and I ultimately set myself up for failure. Just a suggestion, but you might want to try to introduce those things back in, but attempt to have them in moderation. I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but it might help you in the long run."

That, by and large, is NOT what the OP was met with.

He WAS belitted, and he WAS attacked, and there is no sugar coating it, because it goes on all day every day in these forums. Everyone thinks their way is the best, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But basically calling someone an idiot or disgusting or any of the other things the OP has been called, is so incredibly uncalled for.

I'm kind of surprised that amongst everything, I haven't seen the ever popular, "So stay fat then" that I've seen all too often on MFP. Probably because the OP said he has lost 12lbs. Because his way is working for HIM. Imagine that.

And, quite frankly, the food bank thing is getting soooo old. He didn't give the food to a food bank. Plenty of people have called him out for it. If he dared entered back into this thread, I'm SURE he feels bad about it. But in the absence of a flux capacitor, there's not much he can do about it now. Please, for the love of God, move on from it. No one died because they didn't eat his chips.
    It's too easy to act like a jerk online. If this conversation were going on in real life I bet it would be much more civil. I very rarely see people jump all over each other IRL the way they do here. High school excepted.

Exactly.

And as a final note, MrMagee is awesome.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

You entirely missed the point I was making.

I find it hard to deal with the fact that so many people here are so rude. If you don't agree with a person, either don't comment, or say it nicely.

We were all at "that point" once. Where we wanted a change, and didn't know how to get there.

How is it helpful to belittle people for their choices???

Dissenting opinions =/= belittling.

The "don't hurt my feelings" or "don't disagree with me or it's rude" attitude is really a good example of the over sensitivity of an entire generation. Would you like a participation trophy as well?

Not sure why I'm bothering but...

With all due respect, a "dissenting opinion" would have been, "That was an interesting way of going about starting your weight loss journey. For me, personally, I wouldn't do that. I have found that limiting myself completely like that has lead to some binging tendencies and I ultimately set myself up for failure. Just a suggestion, but you might want to try to introduce those things back in, but attempt to have them in moderation. I know it's not as easy as it sounds, but it might help you in the long run."

That, by and large, is NOT what the OP was met with.

He WAS belitted, and he WAS attacked, and there is no sugar coating it, because it goes on all day every day in these forums. Everyone thinks their way is the best, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But basically calling someone an idiot or disgusting or any of the other things the OP has been called, is so incredibly uncalled for.

I'm kind of surprised that amongst everything, I haven't seen the ever popular, "So stay fat then" that I've seen all too often on MFP. Probably because the OP said he has lost 12lbs. Because his way is working for HIM. Imagine that.

And, quite frankly, the food bank thing is getting soooo old. He didn't give the food to a food bank. Plenty of people have called him out for it. If he dared entered back into this thread, I'm SURE he feels bad about it. But in the absence of a flux capacitor, there's not much he can do about it now. Please, for the love of God, move on from it. No one died because they didn't eat his chips.
    It's too easy to act like a jerk online. If this conversation were going on in real life I bet it would be much more civil. I very rarely see people jump all over each other IRL the way they do here. High school excepted.

Exactly.

And as a final note, MrMagee is awesome.

Again, why the need to be coddled? Were a lot of people not held enough, or too much, as children? Because someone interprets something as rude it's an attack? Ridiculous.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success, OP! Next time, though...please send me all your sodas, chips, and cookies as I have personally lost a lot of fat by NOT trashing such items, but rather incorporating them into a well balanced diet where I meet my calorie goal and macro minimums without depriving myself of anything I like.

But, congrats on your loss, nonetheless.
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Again, why the need to be coddled? Were a lot of people not held enough, or too much, as children? Because someone interprets something as rude it's an attack? Ridiculous.

No, being the adult equivalent of a bunch of playground bullies is what's ridiculous. It's not just this thread. It's rampant here and it's the same cycle every time. Verbal attacks and belittling, followed up by the justification that it's just a "dissenting opinion". If you're going to be rude, own it. Don't then pretend like it was a polite disagreement. It's not advice. It's straight up judgement, and no one comes here for that.

I will never understand the point of such vitriol, and what people gain from it. And on a site designed to motivate and support other people who are in the same predicament that we all are in, or were once in? THAT is what is ridiculous.

Way to be a human being there, bro. Not quite sure who wasn't held enough.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

I worry for our culture when "displaying a modicum of respect and decency" becomes synonymous with "being coddled".
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I will never understand the point of such vitriol, and what people gain from it.

They enjoy the power trip from the sadism and the thrill of hiding within a pitchfork-wielding mob bent on hunting and killing their guileless prey.

And on the internet, they cannot be held accountable and are free to act as they choose.

Eventually they'll fall victim of their own poor behaviour: no success, no friends, no support system at which point they'll use alcohol or drugs to make the pain recede.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I will never understand the point of such vitriol, and what people gain from it.

They enjoy the power trip from the sadism and the thrill of hiding within a pitchfork-wielding mob bent on hunting and killing their guileless prey.

And on the internet, they cannot be held accountable and are free to act as they choose.

Eventually they'll fall victim of their own poor behaviour: no success, no friends, no support system at which point they'll use alcohol or drugs to make the pain recede.

Now maybe you can explain the mentality behind cheering a 20-year-old girl on in her quest to consume zero net calories per day.
  • mrmagee3
    Options

Well...that escalated quickly.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    ;-) there were horses....
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success, OP! Next time, though...please send me all your sodas, chips, and cookies as I have personally lost a lot of fat by NOT trashing such items, but rather incorporating them into a well balanced diet where I meet my calorie goal and macro minimums without depriving myself of anything I like.

Ditto.
    I don't get where these accusations of bullying and rudeness are coming from. Most posts were like this. The OP started a topic on a public weight loss forum, looking for support. She got some. She also got some advice (unwanted or not, sugar coated or not) that stated she 'could' have just kept the food she loves and instead incorporated it into her new healthy life. Now, she knows all her options... better chance of success. That's what matters.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

1269259657_omg_cat.gif
    Wow... Just wow.
  • mrmagee3
    Options

Ditto.
    I don't get where these accusations of bullying and rudeness are coming from.

Oh?

How's about:
    So you basically turned it into a house of deprivation. I will think of you as I enjoy my Ben & Jerry's tonight.

Lamenting the "poor cookies" or "delicious chips" to someone who has made the decision to not eat them.
    Posting a big picture of a Pepsi to someone who views soda as unhealthy for him.
    Oh the cookies, the diet sodas, the humanity of it all!
    sad brokenheart sad brokenheart sad brokenheart sad brokenheart
    f you think throwing out a bunch if perfectly good food, and a lot of false garbage about chemical manipulation and addiction makes you "educated" about food, you need quite a bit more education....o, based on your logic, you may as well hold your breath and stop drinking water, also.

This is a 20 page thread. Those were things I found on page 1.