40 pounds in 4 months: the end of the year challenge!

Options

Replies

• gonabfit
    gonabfit Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    SherryTeach
    Those of us who have been here a long time have seen these unrealistic challenges come and go. The people who jump on board are nearly always the same people who keep having to start over, time and time again. Far better to set a modest plan and stay with it. That 4.5 pounds a month that I lost for about a year? It's still gone nearly a year later.

I've been here for a long time as well and I learned that you don't have to do ANYTHING you don't want to do! Soooooo I appreciate your input and wish you well.

Nothing wrong with reaching for a big goal unless you are so rigid that you can't except ANYTHING but the end result. It's all about perspective.

Furthermore, I still wonder why if people don't want to do something they feel some need to express their negative opinion? Just do your own thing. If we don't succeed who cares? I've NEVER seen someone succeed at something they refuse to try. When people try to do it, at least there is a chance for success.

Mom told me " be positive or be quiet." I like that advice.
  • lolapedia88
    lolapedia88 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 40 pounds! Let's do this
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    This is setting a lot of people up for failure. I am surprised a doctor (who took an oath to do no harm) is advocating this approach without knowing anything else about group members. Then again, there is Dr. Oz.
  • susmita29
    susmita29 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Count me in too!
  • gonabfit
    Options
    Know what... I'm trying to be polite to all of you but I really think some people are ignorant.

nomeejerome : First of all allow me to be VERY clear. I have not advocated ONE thing for other people. I stated MY goals and asked if anyone would like to join. Maybe you should spend less time surfing the web looking for people to criticize and MORE time working on yourself. I'm sure that would keep you busy.

Second, unless you are a doctor, I'm assuming you actually don't know much about the many oaths we commit to. Promoting health is not against the rules. I don't recall promote bulimia or anorexia or ANY method to weight loss. And like I've mentioned NUMEROUS times on this board, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THE CHALLENGE DON'T DO THE CHALLENGE.

YOUR HAND IS NOT FORCED. I'm not here to provide medical education or advice. If YOU can't handle failure and feel you will fall apart if you don't reach your goals, then DONT JOIN. I personally see very few thngs as failure but rather stepping stones

also, save everyone the trouble of posting about things you so clearly are against... I'm just so baffled that people really spend their precious seconds to complain and spread hate... but know what... I value my time WAAY to much so I'm done :)

Since I can't continue this post in a positive manner... I'll just be quiet. Best of luck to ya! I hope you have a better day nomeejerome. I'm sorry that you have some animosity towards doctors... but if you think you can do it better... they are STILL accepting applications at most medical schools :=D good luck.
  • gonabfit
    Options
    Change of plan peeps. I'm done posting here. I'm here to get fit. Not sure why some people are on the website... maybe this is how they fill their time.

I am not responding on this post anymore. If you want to join, DM me and I'll add you until 5 pm today. After that, back to my normal PLEASANT MFP friends.

Save the drama. I'm a busy woman... and most of you are too! :laugh: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :smooched:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Know what... I'm trying to be polite to all of you but I really think some people are ignorant.

nomeejerome : First of all allow me to be VERY clear. I have not advocated ONE thing for other people. I stated MY goals and asked if anyone would like to join. Maybe you should spend less time surfing the web looking for people to criticize and MORE time working on yourself. I'm sure that would keep you busy.

Second, unless you are a doctor, I'm assuming you actually don't know much about the many oaths we commit to. Promoting health is not against the rules. I don't recall promote bulimia or anorexia or ANY method to weight loss. And like I've mentioned NUMEROUS times on this board, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THE CHALLENGE DON'T DO THE CHALLENGE.

YOUR HAND IS NOT FORCED. I'm not here to provide medical education or advice. If YOU can't handle failure and feel you will fall apart if you don't reach your goals, then DONT JOIN. I personally see very few thngs as failure but rather stepping stones

also, save everyone the trouble of posting about things you so clearly are against... I'm just so baffled that people really spend their precious seconds to complain and spread hate... but know what... I value my time WAAY to much so I'm done :)

Since I can't continue this post in a positive manner... I'll just be quiet. Best of luck to ya! I hope you have a better day nomeejerome. I'm sorry that you have some animosity towards doctors... but if you think you can do it better... they are STILL accepting applications at most medical schools :=D good luck.

You have a right to post on a public forum and I have the right to respond in a public forum. Instead of stating in your OP that you have a busy schedule, you made a point to state that you are a doctor, which opens the door for people to ask your advice during the challenge. You took the time to write a colorful response, so it appears I may not be the only one in the thread who spoke out against it (didn't take the time to read all the pages), but that is OK, my shoulders are big.

Oh and thank you for the PM, to make sure I read your response. I hope you brush up on the people skills, since clearly you can get so upset by random strangers on the internet. :flowerforyou:
  • lolapedia88
    lolapedia88 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

You have a right to post on a public forum and I have the right to respond in a public forum. Instead of stating in your OP that you have a busy schedule, you made a point to state that you are a doctor, which opens the door for people to ask your advice during the challenge. You took the time to write a colorful response, so it appears I may not be the only one in the thread who spoke out against it (didn't take the time to read all the pages), but that is OK, my shoulders are big.

Oh and thank you for the PM, to make sure I read your response. I hope you brush up on the people skills, since clearly you can get so upset by random strangers on the internet. :flowerforyou:

Do you know what people skills are?

- confused college graduated who is pretty sure you don't know.
  • kathrynmelnick
    kathrynmelnick Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would love to be included in this group!
  • samammay
    Options
    I would join, but I started the same challenge with myself on 8/9 so I have a 13 pound headstart. Best to all though!
  • rdahlquist42
    rdahlquist42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would like to join the challenge! :)
  • nikkerbob
    nikkerbob Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    So many comments to read lol !! but I would love to be in.. I really need to get started, get back into the gym and start to lose some poundage.. 50 pounds is my end result and seeing that there is a way to be there in about 4 months, is awesome !!!!! I wasn't "feeling" the gym today, but now I'm totally going lol !!!

I'm still getting used to how to use this site and keep up on comments and what not, but I'm totally in, if you will have me =D
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Let's do this thing.
    I'm actually only shooting for 25-30 but I'll join ya for the adventure!

My plan, I'm sticking with strict Paleo lifestyle (it's what's always worked with my body and allergies).
    Lift hard 3-4 days a week and Cardio, light to heavy 4-5 days a week.

Personal goals-
    Run a 12K by November
    Half Marathon by January
    Squat 300# by January
    Bench 165# by January

Back in my size 10 pants by November and my 8 slacks by January.
  • dreadedone13
    Options
    Count me in Doc. LOL
    “The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.” Michelangelo
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    A 1250 calorie deficit per day is pretty aggressive IMO. That's why I called it aggresive because I actually did the math. A deficit of over 1000 calories per day is not recommended by MFP.

Yep, agree!!

Slow and steady wins!! (see ticker below) I have been at this for 18 months. :bigsmile:
  • Diva1205
    Diva1205 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Count me in too!! We can all do this!
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Please add me to the group. I could use some support...and I could stand to lose the 40 lbs. I am having knee replacement in January and it would be great to be able to schlepp around 40 less pounds on crutches!

Count me in!
  • Jeslynn81
    Options
    Add me please :)
  • chokalte
    chokalte Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hello All I believe this is the motivation I need. I would love to be apart of the challenge. Please count me in. I will be trying to exercise at least 4 or 5 times a week. I am so tired of going up and down the scale. This looks like a motivated group and I need it. I hope I am not to late!!!
  • nw288
    nw288 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Count me in :)