chub rub aka thigh gap

Options

Replies

• LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Uh, never.

I wear about a size six now, and at one point, I was a size two. I still had my thighs rub, because my hips aren't built further apart. I've learned to just never wear short shorts, and it solves that problem.

Thigh rub or thighs touching is largely a mechanical thing, where your hips are simply more narrow, or the sockets engage in a certain way, which will usually cause your thighs to rub no matter what size you are.
  • aaasky
    aaasky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started noticing less thigh rub after about 15 pounds down. Another weird benefit was that my knees got thinner, so they don't touch when I walk. My thighs deeeefinitely still touch, and I think they'll stay that way at my goal weight, but with pretty minimal weight less the rub will get less painful!
  • Squirkie
    Squirkie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It seems that I have had this problem forever. Monistat has a chaffing cream that goes on clear and makes the thighs glide against each other. In the summertime it is my best friend. I've haven't tried he Body Glide but will look for it too.
  • lucasa18
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am a gay guy thats overweight and I am just wondering if its possible for guys to get chub rub if Im a guy....
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body type. I'm sure a million people have already said that, but it's true.

Even at my thinnest (5'5", 115lbs) I still carried weight in my hips and thighs. My thighs would still rub (just not as bad). I would have to be bowlegged for them not to.

But who wants to mind the gap? Thighs are awesome!
  • lucasa18
    Options
    Oh and I have like REALLY fat legs.....For the last 2 days while I awaited my clothes to be washed I had to squeeze into some really tight shorts...thats when I started to feel uncomfortable and getting a burning stinging sensation...is that chub rub???
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Like many people have mentioned the thigh gap is not a given with any amount of weight loss. I am 5'7" 125 lbs and 19% BF and my legs still very much touch, and probably will continue to do so unless I dropped significantly underweight (which I am not about to do). I stick with a lot of compression bottoms when running, even light compression (think yoga pants) and always at least to mid-thigh no short shorts here. Never have a problem with chaffing with those types of bottoms, though I cant go too loose or the shorts will ride up so it has to be pretty figure hugging.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and even when I was at my skinniest (125), I don't think I had a thigh gap. Some of us are just built with chubbier thighs - I've been this way since I was a baby! I just can't wear skirts or dresses too many days in a row... Which is sad because if I could, that's all I'd ever wear.
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It seems that I have had this problem forever. Monistat has a chaffing cream that goes on clear and makes the thighs glide against each other. In the summertime it is my best friend. I've haven't tried he Body Glide but will look for it too.

That is what I use also!
  • I'm 5'5" about, and weigh 137lbs. I almost have a thigh gap, though not quite there.. does anyone know how much I should weigh to have one? I know it does depend on body frame and structure, my frame is about medium and so far my hips are about halfway between narrow and wide. I do have some muscle on me because I take a kickboxing class 3x/week, so maybe that would affect my weight and calculations if anyone knows how much I should weigh to have a gap. And I know it isn't necessary to have one but I really, really want one :) Thank you! x
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My thighs always touch when I walk. They will never not touch. Thigh gap is not a measure of thinness or attractiveness.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS had chub rub, even when I was underweight. I never thought of wearing shorts under my skirts though, I just avoided wearing skirts/dresses because I hate the rub sooo much. I'll have to remember to try that the next time I have a special occasion.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Try using powder or even deodorant between your thighs to stop the chaffing. Also there is a product runners use, I can't remember the name of it....it makes your thighs "glide" instead of sticking together. (I now see the Body Glide was mentioned!).
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I seem to remember still having thigh rub at 109 pounds, my lightest as an adult :(

I've used baby powder, but it doesn't really work with the five or so miles I walk everyday. If I wear skirts, I wear compression shorts underneath.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Just tried this out. With my feet together, my thighs touch. Male with 11% bf. I don't experience chafing, and I don't typically stand with my feet together either. Not sure the feet together thing is particularly useful or informative.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    My thighs have ALWAYS rubbed together. Looking at the me from the waist up, you would think I was tiny, but I carry all my weight in my hips and thighs. When I run, I cannot wear shorts...and in this 100 + degree Alabama weather, it sucks!

I feel your pain.

Wear 7 inch long "sliders" or compression shorts underneath regular running shorts. Keeps the rub from happening!!

Thank you! I will be trying that :)

This! I love my nike pro one! I am a distance runner and live in them :)
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    this has to be one of the best topics I've seen in a while. :laugh: mine have always touched. started doing inner thigh exercises more often to build the muscle. I wear jogging pants when I run.....it's hot in the summer but id rather sweat a little more then sleep like a starfish!!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Can't care less about an actual gap but I will cry tears of joy the day I can wear a dress without shorts underneath. I had shorts under my wedding dress and my prom dress :(. I seriously go a chub run so bad as a teen one day that my thighs were bleeding.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a thigh gap at any stage in my adult life (nor any chaffing) and until stumbling on this thread I didn't know it was something folks care about.

Personally I quite like the delicate soft fleshiness of my inner thighs....so reckon I'll keep it. :smile:
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously just sick of all my pants having crotch holes in them because of my fat stupid thighs. It's really inconvenient.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!