I am beggin, help me lose weight.

Options

Replies

• ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I am so happy I've asked for help and even more happier so many of you responded. You made my day!!! I am so thankful to you guys. I will try, I will fail and succeed !!! with all the advices I got from you guys I know I can improve my life!!!

One small point, from a weight loss point of view, exercise is of minimal help, though it does and will make you healthier. Crucial for weight loss is calories in less than calories out -

"Well, science has some bad news for you. More and more research in both the UK and the US is emerging to show that exercise has a negligible impact on weight loss. That tri-weekly commitment to aerobics class? Almost worthless, as far as fitting into your bikini is concerned. The Mayo Clinic, a not-for-profit medical research establishment in the US, reports that, in general, studies "have demonstrated no or modest weight loss with exercise alone" and that "an exercise regimen… is unlikely to result in short-term weight loss beyond what is achieved with dietary change."

It's mainly about food!
  • majupany
    majupany Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey I was in the same position with my husband he loves junky food but I say NO I can do this anymore and I started a diet that I haven't lose weight but I did lose two inches in 15 days it very hard to change this type of life but if you keep your food diary all days long you will see were are you making mistakes.

You don't have to eat only boiled chicken you can fried with oil spray and add some seasoning you can add species so the flavor will be amazing the same thing with the vegetables you can boiled them and then fried them with tomatoes and onions and this way you will eat healthier and with good taste.

Pd. Send me your email address so I can give you what im eating and you can try it. Ok
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Give yourself SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time-based/Trackable

Here's a good outline on setting SMART goals: http://www.fitnessmantra.info/2007/09/13/smart-goal-setting-for-fitness-and-weight-management/

The great news is that you're already doing this with your exercise regimen!!!!! Set a goal. Make it something you know you can do! Like exercising 10 minutes a day. Stick with it, and increase gradually over time. Track your progress. Log it here on MFP or put a mark on your calendar for every day you achieve your goal.

Your goal could be to exercise x times in a month. Or to pack a healthy lunch x days a week. Or to watch fewer hours of TV a week. Or keep track of how much water you drink each day. The possibilities are really endless.

You can totally do this! Set a goal. Make it measurable (minutes of exercise, servings of fruit/veg a day, etc). Ensure that it's something you can attain - don't set the bar so high it's impossible to achieve. Have realistic expectations of yourself and your progress. Track your progress over time.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Its hard, it makes you crave it more, it makes you think about it, it consumes your every thought until you have eaten what you desire.
    Be strong! Challenge yourself, you will start to feel better. Until then promise yourself you will drink a tall glass of water 10 minutes before you start to eat. Portion! I cut my meals in half and lost 17 kilos in 6 months. You will be hungry but its about mastering your stomach! I fell off the bandwagon and am currently getting back on track. I cut my food back to half the size it was, i drink alot of water whether it be a sip during meals, i usually drink the most during workout. But I am now at the point where my stomach has shrunk, I cant fit much more in then the half portion. If my stomach tells me to eat Ill eat, If my brain tells me I am hungry I ignore it until my stomach tells me. That is my down fall, I decided I could have a snack, I wasnt hungry but i could eat. So i did and I did alot. gained 20 kilos over the past year.

Will power! The want! The need! The GOAL!
    Its your choice, but you want help, look in the mirror! Say no, say no again and mean it because you will fail until you learn that its all upto you. dont put it on others, its all upto you, they stop we think its an excuse to stop, we stop and we fail ourselves.

Find that thing that motivates you and feel the burn run through your veins, empower yourself. Hungry? Brain or stomach? Thirsty? No, have a drink of water anyways. Still cant think of things other then eating the food? Set yourself a goal, every time you think of giving in, get down and do push ups until you cant do any more (knees or full, i am weak so I am only just doing knees properly now haha). Think of your self worth and times it by 2! Your worth the effort but you have to see it.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    DO think before you eat - will this make me happier in the long run?

Totally this
  • kelly_lake
    kelly_lake Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I am so happy I've asked for help and even more happier so many of you responded. You made my day!!! I am so thankful to you guys. I will try, I will fail and succeed !!! with all the advices I got from you guys I know I can improve my life!!!

"Well, science has some bad news for you. More and more research in both the UK and the US is emerging to show that exercise has a negligible impact on weight loss. That tri-weekly commitment to aerobics class? Almost worthless, as far as fitting into your bikini is concerned. The Mayo Clinic, a not-for-profit medical research establishment in the US, reports that, in general, studies "have demonstrated no or modest weight loss with exercise alone" and that "an exercise regimen… is unlikely to result in short-term weight loss beyond what is achieved with dietary change."

I think this is really unhelpful in this context. Yes, weight loss is about a calorie deficit, but what about all the health benefits of exercise? I eat at a small deficit and keep an eye on my macros, and I exercise six days a week - I have lost a modest amount (about 7 lbs - I wasn't particularly overweight to start with but was very unfit) but my body has dramatically changed shape, I have more energy, my mood has improved, I don't crave junk food and sugar. The benefits of exercise are more than just weight loss. And of course, you can out eat any amount of exercise, it's about a balance, and if the OP is struggling to achieve enough of a deficit through diet alone, then adding in exercise is a great way to help reach that goal.

OP - your attitude seems to be shifting just in the course of this thread! You totally can do it. The things that worked for me are:

- Be accountable for everything you put in your mouth. As others have said, for the first week or two, don't even worry about a deficit, just log everything. I found it such an eye opener to understand where my calories were coming from. I genuinely believed I didn't eat very much but was consuming about 3000 calories every day. Once I understood what I was consuming, it was so much easier to make small changes with a really big impact

- Set yourself goals. I started at the point of not being able to run 50 yards, and just completely my first 10 k last week. If you have a smartphone, download the C25K app, get out there and get sweaty and out of breath. If you need to stay on week one for a month, then do, but push yourself. If like me you don't like the idea of people seeing you floundering about, then run early in the morning, or in the evening, when there are fewer people about. If running's not your thing then invest in a workout DVD like the 30 day shred and just do your best with it. I find finite goals and timelines really helpful, plus having someone tell me to start running or start walking (or having Gillian Micheals yell at me!) keeps me from slacking off.

- Don't make excuses. My husband has a really physical job, and he eats a LOT. In the evening he wants meat, potatoes, pasta, all that. I don't make separate meals - I just eat less of it, an in different proportions - less potato, pasta, rice etc, more veg. He might have a dessert, but I'll have a yoghurt, or a couple of sqares of dark chocolate.

- When you fall down, get back up. We all have bad days, we all fall off the wagon. It's not the end of the world. Log it, own it, and move on.

- Take a long view. Changing your life doesn't happen overnight. Keep your eye on the long term goals, whatever they might be. For me they are to feel strong, to have energy, to be in really great shape health wise when I think about trying for another baby, to die a very old woman, to feel confident wearing shorts. You have a lot of reasons for being making the changes, focus on those.

- Stop making excuses. This is where the tough love bit comes in. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, stop waiting for it all to happen by magic, stop setting yourself up to fail before you've started. You CAN do it. No one's saying it won't be hard, but it is within your power. You need to take control of your life, because no one is going to do it for you.

If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You have to want to lose weight more than you want to eat. If you really want it bad enough, you are ready and you will succeed.

Ask yourself everytime that you are tempted if "you really want to eat this", is it really worth the added calories, or do you want to be a healthy weight?

It helped me a great deal to read the success stories here when I became discouraged or tempted.

You can do this. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. MFP is a great tool to help you achieve your goals of where you want to be.

I wish I would have done something decades ago, don't let this happen to you.

The very best of luck to you!
  • wintershrink
    Options
    good on you for coming on here, and starting to workout. even if it's 3 minutes, or 5, or whatever.
    And with the food thing, there's really no way to say it kindly. You have to change, if you let things go on longer than they have already, it will kill you.
    Sounds a bit dramatic, and it is extreme, i know. But it's true. You either change your eating habits (however small and slow the change may be) or you continue this way.
    There's no shame in taking it a day at a time, making slow progress and being honest with your family about the fact that you want to change.
    You won't regret it, you will only wish you'd done it sooner! Goodluck x
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    ThisTimeWorks, all I can say is love yourself. Remind yourself that you're WORTH the hard work put into dieting. It won't be easy, and it won't be fun. That's what the rewards of losing excess medication, feeling healthier and looking better are for.

I lack the courage to turn food down as well. Have you talked to your mother about helping you? Perhaps if you label food as "Father's" versus "mine", it will help you not eat someone else's food and focus on your own. Being pre-diabetic, he should care more about your health than his tastebuds anyway and back you up by changing food.

You could also tell yourself, "I will eat just half of a serving for now, and if I'm REALLY hungry later, maybe I'll let myself have that other half of a serving". Except, don't. Drink lots of water to help fill you up so food isn't as tempting. Or if you're still hungry, work out. Working out often makes me stop feeling hungry. But, if you feel even more hungry afterwards, well, let yourself have that second half of the serving -- you burnt off at least some of it.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Thank you all!!! I appreciate all of you taking time to help me. I was actually thinking of doing videos on youtube like each week an update, but I doubt anyone would actually care.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    ThisTimeWorks, all I can say is love yourself. Remind yourself that you're WORTH the hard work put into dieting. It won't be easy, and it won't be fun. That's what the rewards of losing excess medication, feeling healthier and looking better are for.

I lack the courage to turn food down as well. Have you talked to your mother about helping you? Perhaps if you label food as "Father's" versus "mine", it will help you not eat someone else's food and focus on your own. Being pre-diabetic, he should care more about your health than his tastebuds anyway and back you up by changing food.

You could also tell yourself, "I will eat just half of a serving for now, and if I'm REALLY hungry later, maybe I'll let myself have that other half of a serving". Except, don't. Drink lots of water to help fill you up so food isn't as tempting. Or if you're still hungry, work out. Working out often makes me stop feeling hungry. But, if you feel even more hungry afterwards, well, let yourself have that second half of the serving -- you burnt off at least some of it.

That's the thing...nobody knows im prediabetic, I don't want to burden my parents with it. I want to beat it.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Only you can do it. All we can do is tell you things to do, but ultimately you will determine your success or failure.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    just work out. i gym it 5 times a week & eat junk food galore,,,,,,:drinker:
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Work out Is only 20-30% of success the rest is diet. I have no problem pushing myself into 30-45 minute cardio on elliptical, but food...damn, it's tough. I can set my head to do just water or milk, once I eat ANYTHING solid, 5 minutes later I empty everything out of the fridge. I would stay on drinking liquids but obviously it is unhealthy.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    just tell yourself not to go overboard. It should register that u work out a lot because if u don't then u deserve a fat azz...:laugh:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    You need to put in the work like everyone...make a plan and stick to it....work out , watch calories..and set goals for yourself every week....even just half a pound....push yourself and don't make excuses.....there will be times you will miss the mark but just keep pushing and make the next week your target...
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Start out by logging everything you eat. You don't even have to make a change the first week. Just log it accurately. The next week take off a small amount of what you would have normally eaten. Even if it's just 1 Tablespoon less. Then the next week make it 2. Then 3. If it's the food that's the issue slowly decrease the portions till you're eating within your calorie goal.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you want someone to shame you into losing weight. Please don't invite anyone to treat you badly. You can do this without some Jillian Michaels type screaming at you.
    Learning to change bad habits is hard. Unfortunately, we all have to struggle through the ups and downs of this with weight loss. The payoff you're getting from overeating is better to you than the payoff from reducing your food intake. In the moment, at least. It's instant gratification. The challenge is to think about what you're doing when you're doing it and challenge that thinking. You said when you taste something then suddenly you're eating everything. THAT is the moment when you need to check yourself and THINK about what you're doing because feeling ashamed after doesn't make the calories go away. There is that one moment when you give yourself permission to overeat. When you first consider doing it you could journal, go for a walk, check out the health and fitness category on Pinterest, do anything that will give you some time to think about the consequences and about making a smarter choice. I recommend journaling because it will help you identify the thoughts that are leading you in the wrong direction. Once you identify them you can work on changing them. Once you get into a pattern of handling that moment it'll get easier. Just think about what overeating is doing to your body and making you feel. The payoff from losing weight and feeling and looking better is awesome and worth the effort. You just need to get started and give it some time so you can experience it.

You could go cold turkey and quit eating the junk. You're a grown 20 yr old woman so there's no excuse for not preparing your own food. It takes a few days but the cravings and desire for more junk will lessen a lot. Less sugar and processed food and much, much more good protein will help you get past the cravings and hunger.

Another option is to keep eating what you're eating...just less of it. All you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit. You don't need to eat boiled chicken or rabbit food. Just less food than what your body needs to maintain.

The last thing I'll add was mentioned by someone else earlier I think. No one can do it for you. Some words from strangers on the internet probably aren't going to make you lose weight. They might get you thinking but you are the one that needs to put less food in your mouth. It's hard for most of us. Figure out what works for you and get busy doing it.
  • ThisTimeWorks
    Options
    Calorie goal. I hear so many people losing weight a)eating healthy and reached 1200 b) eating whatever as long as they reach their goal, like if they want 2 potato burritos from taco bell which equal to about 1200, that's all they eat. But that sounds too good to be true.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Calorie goal. I hear so many people losing weight a)eating healthy and reached 1200 b) eating whatever as long as they reach their gout al, like if they want 2 potato burritos from taco bell which equal to about 1200, that's all they eat. But that sounds too good to be true.

Some people can do that. The problem with that, for me at least, is that I would be so hungry that I wouldn't be able to stick to a plan like that. Like I said, some people can, but not me. I have to have more fuel and more nutrients or else my body tells me by getting tired and cranky and I want to hog down on everything in sight. You don't have to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. That's a pretty big calorie deficit. My calorie deficit is much, much smaller and I'm still making progress. Slower, yes. But I accept slower progress because I can stick with it. It wouldn't do me a bit of good to set unreachable goals for myself. That would eventually result in no progress.
This discussion has been closed.