What is WRONG with people?!?!

Options

Replies

• jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think so. If you focus on your foot fall and form, go slow, and stretch/warm-up/cool-down properly, repeat weeks or days when needed, then there is no reason you can't start now.

You tell me of your injuries, and I just think of all those who were in Boston that lost limbs and are back training to run only months after the attacks.

You see...when you finally become a runner, you will no longer see injuries or other things as something to hold you back, you just see them as more hills you need to climb, meaning there is a crest at some point, and finally a down hill sprint to the finish.

Maybe it is the runner in me that is failing to fully understand what is holding you back.

Well, you are welcome to your opinion about that. I don't see myself as being "held back", I see myself as making a plan to move forward at a safe pace for my body. I am not putting off training, I am starting it. I can already "run" for a considerable time on a mini trampoline (an hour or more), I can already swim for hours and hours, I can already do tough strength training. Perhaps it is because you are a runner, and I am just someone trying to get into shape, who doesn't plan to make running a lifelong focus, but who wants to be able to do it anyway.

+1
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I think your goal is right on for your current situation and fits in line with your other goals. Stick with what you have planned. You'll do just fine. As a runner, I can promise you it's MUCH easier to do at a lighter weight. I ran 6 half marathons over 200 lbs and was injured for each one. I ended up walking most of them and was depressed and miserable b/c it didn't go the way I had hoped it would. I made a goal of reaching 183 lbs and my reward was picking and starting a half marathon training plan. I told myself I would not train for a half marathon again until I reached 183 lbs. I stuck with it and it worked. I ran a half marathon last weekend - actually RAN the whole thing, reached my time goal and felt amazing the whole time. Slow training, strengthening and weight loss will make it more enjoyable for you in the long run. Anything worth having is worth waiting for and worth working toward. Do it how you want to do it. No one knows what's best for you except for you. Move at your own speed and run your own race.

I think it's great that she was trying to push you to reach higher, but sometimes baby steps work best.

Good luck!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't post my fitness or weight loss goals or accomplishments on facebook. MFP is much better for all things health and fitness. I get so much encouragement here from people with similar goals or those that have already accomplished much more than I would even hope for.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Okay, so earlier this evening I posted the following status on my Facebook page: "Okay, so I want to be able to run a 5K by next June. I've never been a runner. Even as a child I avoided running if at all possible, but now I am seeing this as something I'd like to start. I don't know if I'll sign up for an actual race, and I don't know if it will take me that long to be fit enough to do it, I may be ready before then. I'll officially start the couch to 5k plan in April if all goes well, but in the meantime I am working on losing as much weight as I can, I'd really like to be under 200 before I start the couch to 5k plan. So for now I'm continuing with T25 and lots of walking, plus counting every calorie that I consume. I guess I am officially in training now, but the first phase of the training is just general fitness, and the actual running training will begin when I am fit enough to do so without hurting myself."

I support you in this! I set an interim goal of having only an "overweight" BMI before I started the C25K program. And I don't have foot/ankle issues like you do. That extra weight is really hard on your joints; especially for a high-impact activity like running. Your timeline is very reasonable and achievable, and will (hopefully) prevent you from overtraining yourself.

And just throwing this out there: if you plan to run a 5K in June, maybe consider a Try-a-Tri or a Sprint Tri later in the season/next year as your next challenge. C25K was my first goal, and as I can also swim & bike, a Try-a-Tri was my summer goal: I achieved it last Saturday. :) Good luck & keep up the good work!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    FB is not overly supportive regarding fitness, in my opinion. You should post that kind of stuff here and I bet you will get positive support instead of negativity. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • cmb67
    cmb67 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    FB is like that, MFP is better :)

If you believe you can do it- then you will do it.

Don't give in.

I find certain things belong on MFP and not FB.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Again, thanks everyone. My plan is to stick with my plan. And I am not upset or angry about it anymore, as I said, I was temporarily annoyed, but never really seriously angry. At any rate, I can't discuss it anymore, I posted this last night, and have spent enough time on it this morning, I need to get my workout going.

best thing i've read all morning
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    what's facebook?
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    All that really matters is how you want to do it anyways, I don't know why you would let it bother you so much. If you post stuff out in the open on a newsfeed, you can't honestly expect opinionated people to not post their opinions, some more adamantly than others?
  • sandefitz
    Options
    Nothing good comes from FB.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    When you post your goals and ambitions to a public forum such as FB, people will feel free to comment to them and give you advice. If you do not want people commenting to your goals and giving your advice, then do not post such things on FB.

Yeah. I have done the same and gotten very discouraging comments. When I told my mom I wanted to do a triathlon she said I couldn't do it. When I told my friend that I was eating at TDEE - 20% she said I am getting obsessed and she didn't want me to get an eating disorder. When I told my grandpa I was getting my scuba diving certification he said I was going to sink like a rock. The funny thing is all these people will be wrong because when I make up my mind to do something I do it. So that hasn't really stopped me from sharing things, but I'm prepared that when I do share about my goals and ambitions I might not always get an encouraging response, but I will get motivation to work harder to prove people wrong. :)
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    I have a rule regarding my fitness and nutrition plans, and that is that I do not discuss my fitness and nutrition plans with anyone in real life who is not someone with whom I train. Period.

If someone happens to ask me about my fitness and nutrition programs, and I think that they are seriously asking for help, then I will offer assistance. If I do not think that they are serious, then I will respond with something along the lines of "I don't really work out much."

I have this rule, too. I have honed it over many years. If you're into this stuff for long enough, you'll work out sooner or later it bores the tits off most people. Most of the rest already think they know better than you but actually don't have any clue about it. A slim remainder are actually on your wavelength about it.

So that's what is happening to my tits?
    I just thought they were shrinking due to weight loss, but now I know I can blame others for boring them off!

I'm off to start a new thread on the true reason for boob shrinkage.:wink:
  • ladyredeemed4
    ladyredeemed4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Congrats on deciding to to a 5K. Here where I live, we have the Albany walk/run program by Jeff Galloway. There are like 5 or 6 different pace groups you can do. My first race was a 5K, then a 10K, 15K and a 1/2 marathon. (I was a little over 200 lbs. when I did the 1/2 marathon). There is an app you can download on your android "Run / Walk Intervals" and I love it. It gives you the option to start off warming up, then how many sets you want to do, (each time you walk/run, it is a set) and you can set each one differently. For example, if you want to lightly jog for 30 seconds and walk for 1 minute, it has that option. I do the minute warm up, 1 min. jog, then one minute walk. My phone vibrates when my minute is up on each.
    Before joining the walk/run club, I was never a runner. I have long legs but run like a clumsy giraffe. I am flat footed, so when I did run, I shuffled, but that worked for me. Once you finish your first 5K - even if it is a run/walk, it will give you a feeling like you can do anything.
    Have you tried a plastic soda bottle filled with water and frozen? Take out the freezer and while you are sitting, roll your foot over. Helps with inflammation. Oh, be careful and don't do what I did.....Because I ran a lot, I thought it was ok to eat a lot. Best of luck to you.
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I deleted my facebook account last week. I only have my twitter account. One way communication. I really don't care about what other people think about my goals. I put it on for the ones interested in following me.

Just do it (like Nike has been telling you for years :-)) and don't give a ... about other people. Push yourself, and listen to your body. Your body will tell you what you cannot do, not others.
  • ladyredeemed4
    ladyredeemed4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You probably already know, but make sure you have a good pair of running shoes - especially if you have foot problems. This will make a huge difference in how your feet feel. Some good shoe places will help you get the right pair. They look at you barefoot, then watch you walk, how you stand, etc.... I am a overpronator, flat feet and overweight. The shoes will cost more, but well worth it in the end. :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't discuss my fitness goals on FB. Most people wouldn't get it and I don't want to have to explain myself to them. A lot of people on FB aren't really "friends" they are just acquaintances, and I don't feel like discussing my personal goals or personal life with them. I suppose I could set the update so that just certain people could see it, but that takes up too much time to be bothered with that.
  • hellohappycarla
    hellohappycarla Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing your story, I'm actually learning a lot now and my decision has been validated - I learned to keep my mouth shut about my plans just months ago. I also do not want other people to notice the changes in my body simply because I don't want to feel over confident about my progress and then become complacent again which can result to weight gain yet again. I recently deactivated FB just to prevent myself from posting any pictures or statuses there, sometimes it becomes too much even when all you really want is to just get your thoughts out.

But anyway, you have a great plan and only you can know what's great for your body and what it can or cant take. =) Good luck!
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Never share dreams or ambitions with anyone not able and inclined to help you.
    Everyone else will hinder or distract you.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have a rule regarding my fitness and nutrition plans, and that is that I do not discuss my fitness and nutrition plans with anyone in real life who is not someone with whom I train. Period.

If someone happens to ask me about my fitness and nutrition programs, and I think that they are seriously asking for help, then I will offer assistance. If I do not think that they are serious, then I will respond with something along the lines of "I don't really work out much."

I have this rule, too. I have honed it over many years. If you're into this stuff for long enough, you'll work out sooner or later it bores the tits off most people. Most of the rest already think they know better than you but actually don't have any clue about it. A slim remainder are actually on your wavelength about it.

All very good advice that I am going to take!!! I bore people to tears, and irritate them since I am nowhere near my goal weight. It's annoying to me and to them. I am going to just shut my mouth and show it with my body. They will see the difference, then if they ask I will share. In the meantime, I am tired of letting everyone else's two cents bring me down. It's like I will finally get on track and start seeing changes and then someone will get me all psyched about no carb this or gluten that and the next thing I know I have this impossible diet that does not work for me. It's like a roller coaster ride.... I am getting off as of right now!! Thanks guys... again... great advice!!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    There is actually a study that says that if you discuss your goals and plans you are less likely to achieve them. After reading an article about that study, I've kept mum about my plans and goals.

I'm about to reach a milestone this weekend. I'll share the info after the fact, though. I haven't told anyone what I'm up to, and I'm approaching my goal much faster than I would have guessed.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2009/05/12/talking-the-talk.html

I thought if you told people your goals you were MORE likely to reach them. That's what I've heard anyway. I don't know.