What is WRONG with people?!?!

Options
12346»

Replies

• NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    If you don't like what people have to say then take them off your facebook. That being said, you don't really have room to get upset at people for posting their public opinions. Just unfriend them.

ANYWAY, running isn't all that high impact if you barely pick your feet up, which, if you watch, is what most long distance runners do. So you could probably jog (which people tend to call run) a little bit and it wouldn't hurt your foot. I think it just sounds like you're already giving up before you're even giving it a chance by saying you can't run until you get your weight down.
  • JaneLennon1960
    JaneLennon1960 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know just what you mean! I am doing something very similar to you; right now I am concentrating in getting 40lbs off before I start any NEW type of exercise so that I can get under the 200 lb mark where I feel I will have a fighting chance. People who can't relate don't understand that just establishing a calorie counted, healthy meal plan and really sticking to it is the foundation of the process. Once we have that nailed and it's not a daily battle to stick to it and we get some initial weight off we'll have the energy and motivation to establish the fitness part of the equation.
    Like you, I have never been a runner but I harbour a fantasy of me jogging effortlessly down the street, rather than looking like a Teletubby held hostage in Spandex.
    I say good luck to you! You have already lost a substantial amount of weight and are walking a considerable distance daily.Sounds like you'll be there in no time at all. Best Wishes.
  • elle2bee
    elle2bee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority here. If you post your business on a public site, then you are giving permission for everyone to share their thoughts and opinions whether you want to hear them or not. Personally, from what you are saying, this person was probably trying to encourage you. It may have come across pushy, but I would much rather get a comment back like that, than someone to comment saying, "just give up, you suck". I also think the the pushiness can be a motivator. At least it has been for me at times. I post my fitness plans, goals all the time on FB and I might not agree with what people are saying, so I just brush it off vesus letting it get to me. At the end of the day, with all the advice, you are only going to do what you want to do, or what you think is best for you. Who cares about all the other unsolicited opinions. Good luck with your 5K. I hate running, so I envy that you're even attempting this. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I don't know. There are a lot of people who say "I'd like to be able to run a 5k later" They either need a bit of a push now, or should simply be ignored until they get out there for their first run. I'm not sure what you were looking for by posting that you'd like to attempt to start running in April.

Because, as I said in the original post, my training starts now. The first, and longest phase of the training is to continue regular walking and strength training, along with swimming and other activities, and to lose weight. The final phase of the training will be actually following the C5K plan.

But that's not running. That's just exercising and losing weight. If I were your friend, I would be on board with supporting your exercise and weight loss, but I'm not supporting you with running until you're a runner.*

*And my definition of a "runner" is anybody who runs, no matter how slowly, new, etc. For instance, if you've laced up your shoe and did the 30 second run of the C25k program, you are a runner.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Just a person who doesn't quite get it trying to help.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    ANYWAY, running isn't all that high impact if you barely pick your feet up, which, if you watch, is what most long distance runners do. So you could probably jog (which people tend to call run) a little bit and it wouldn't hurt your foot. I think it just sounds like you're already giving up before you're even giving it a chance by saying you can't run until you get your weight down.

You know, you're doing EXACTLY the same thing the OP was complaining about.

I totally get where the OP is coming from. I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago, and tried exercise. I found it extremely uncomfortable to even brisk walk until I lost about 30-40 lb. My wife has starting cycling with me, and although her issues aren't really weight related, she's had to go into it really gradually. She has past and current knee problems, fibromyalgia, AND asthma, so she can't push very hard (or to put it another way, what is "pushing really hard" for her is barely moving for me.)

But I can appreciate the effort she's making and try to support her. Just like the OP, who's doing what she can to lose some weight so she can exercise eventually. Do what you have to; it's your body and you know what it's telling you.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Really? Running is low impact? Can you please tell that to my joints, because they seem to be under the mistaken impression that it is hard on them.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Really? Running is low impact? Can you please tell that to my joints, because they seem to be under the mistaken impression that it is hard on them.

You're not doing it right.
  • likitisplit
    Options

You're not doing it right.

Ha! ^^^this. Also, I started running (sure that I was going to fail eventually) at 220 pounds.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Wait, so encouraging you to run earlier than you think you ought to is reverse encouragement? That makes no sense. Good luck on your goals.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I think it's an awesome goal! Can I give you one piece of advice? Don't wait until xx lbs to sign up for a race, pick your date next year and sign up right now. Had I not signed up for a race, I would have given up on week 4 of c25k. That was the only thing that kept me from throwing in the towel.

I start running around 200 lbs (on a 5'3" midget!) and it was so hard. Every day I ran I just knew would be the day I quit it. But let me tell you, its all in your mind. So when you start, learn the difference between pain/soreness vs hurting. If something hurts, stop. If your muscles are sore or you get a pain in your side, it's all mind over matter and you gotta push through.

I would never be where I am today had it not been for running. I love everything it does for me, physically and mentally. Something I can't get from any other exercise.

I believe you will do this and I'm rooting for you!:drinker:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    That was rude of your friend to give you unsolicited advice. I woulda totally just rolled my eyes and hid you from my feed.
  • Roopoo2
    Options
    Opinions are a**holes everyone has one and they are usually stinky. But from what you said, it seemed like they were genuinely trying to help. It seems like you just wanted support, and encouragement. On FB you are going to find opinions.
    :ohwell:
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be rude but the foot issues sound like a bit of an excuse. I don't doubt that you have problems, but if you can already walk 5+ miles on rough terrain and are doing T25, there's no reason your body and your foot can't handle running. I've sprained my ankle a couple times, and I've had back and hip problems since I was injured as a child. My hip pops with every step I take. When I finally got fitted for good running shoes and stopped using my injuries as a crutch, I found that they didn't actually bother me while running the way I thought they would. I started c25k at 238. I'm still only down to 225, but I run 4 miles at a time, and I'm starting training on Monday to increase to 10 miles straight then half-marathon training. Sometimes you have to push yourself a little to get where you want to go. You can't get to a better place if you don't move. It's amazing what your body can do when you let it do it.

I found your friend to be more supportive than people that simply say "way to go!" or "you can do it!" without actually taking the time to think about it.

I have no doubt that you'll achieve your goals of running a full 5k by June. Good luck!
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My dad is like that a little. It's like he wants me to lose the weight all at once or super fast or to eat perfect ( never eating sweets). None of those things are going to happen. I have my own personal goals which are not small but they were kind of sidetracked by some health issues my husband is having right now. I am getting on track again but I am more willing to take breaks to eat normally
    ( but also counting calories so I can maintain) and times for losing weight. If it takes a few years that is fine. I would like to be 240 by May/June of next year.
  • melting_glass
    melting_glass Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Just get off Facebook. It causes so many problems and so much drama.. I deleted mine a while ago.
  • charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    People do not know what is best for you. When you post a goal and give yourself so much time to just start running, jogging, speed walking or what ever they feel like you are stalling and giving yourself a reason not to do the work (ie. run, jog, or speed walk). Failure is easy. Not trying is easy. Making every excuse in the book as to why you can not do something is easy. If you truly have a goal then work towards it. Start slow if you have to but if you only do short bursts of running for 10 seconds at a time and build up from there you will run. If you can not run for 10 seconds then I am sorry you just don't want to run. I will bet you anything that that you can do it if you want. I myself started at 305. I ran at 305. I have many injuries from college football. I have wounds from the military, scars, bad knees, etc. You name it I have had it. I have a major shoulder injury right now. I will have an operation on Tuesday. Guess what I am still running and losing weight. So please, I you post something here be real. People here want to help, they want you to lose the weight and make your goals. If you ***** at them because you are selling yourself short then the problem really is yours not the people you are fussing about. You have to want it to do it. The way you act with I will do it later when I am ready is bunk. You know it and the fake oh my bad toe, foot, knee, side, back etc. will not make any reasonable person see it other wise. So if you really want to run you will. If you don't find another goal that yo will do and stop griping!
  • ISPEAKWHALE2
    ISPEAKWHALE2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Crista and Charley rock!!!