Cardio or Strength training?

Options
Hi everyone! So I know this has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find the topic. Anyway, my problem is that I'm not sure if I need to lose more weight or just tone up. I am 5'9" and 150 pounds. I still have a tiny bit of fat on my belly and hips that I would like to lose, but I have upped my cardio and lowered my calories for the last several months, and it still hasn't gone away. So, I'm wondering if I need to focus more on strength and core training over cardio to tighten up my stomach and hips? Thanks!

Replies

• cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Only way to get rid of that belly fat at an healthy way is by reducing your overall bf%. This can only be done by lifting and lifting heavy, this will encourage your body to keep you lbm while using the body fat as fuel.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    the usual suggestion in your circumstance is to do strength and maintain moderate calorie deficit. and make sure you are getting enough protein.
    as for core work - no doubt a strong core is a good thing to have, but it will not make the fat disappear. once it goes, you might have nicer abs though :happy:
    working on larger muscle groups (ie doing compound lifts such as deadlifts or squats) will have greater impact than just doing crunches :wink:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I would go with strength training. That said, you can incorporate HIIT (high intensity interval training) to rev up your metabolism.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Ideally, a combination of cardio and strength training, in addition to eating at a deficit, will help you lose body fat, and keep it off. The exercise is optional. The deficit is not.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    a combination of Intense cardio and Strength training, not one or the other.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Recomp via eating at TDEE/Maintenance and lifting heavy. Reduce or eliminate long cardio sessions (unless you just LOVE doing it) and do HIIT.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So I know this has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find the topic. Anyway, my problem is that I'm not sure if I need to lose more weight or just tone up. I am 5'9" and 150 pounds. I still have a tiny bit of fat on my belly and hips that I would like to lose, but I have upped my cardio and lowered my calories for the last several months, and it still hasn't gone away. So, I'm wondering if I need to focus more on strength and core training over cardio to tighten up my stomach and hips? Thanks!
    I've had my best success with losing the fat by backing off the cardio, upping my cals, and focusing on strength. I followed the info and links to tool in this topic to find my BMR, TDEE, set my calorie & macro goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 Best move I ever made. My body is changing for the better, and my eating and exercise routine is sustainable - true lifestyle change for me - never going back! :bigsmile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    when you're that close to goal weight you really don't even need cardio anymore, just a small calorie deficit and resistance training. Continue with cardio if you enjoy it, but a 300 cal deficit and *good* lifting (read: not just core) program will get you there.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    A combination of both, or a cardio regime that gives you a resistance workout as well; Rowing.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I knew there'd be at least one of the zealots responding to this.

Lift heavy!!

My god they're like mindless robots with only one phrase in their database.

You do not lose weight by lifting heavy, you lose weight by eating at a deficit. You'll do just as well lifting weights that aren't the heaviest you can possibly manage.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options

Lift heavy!!

You do not lose weight by lifting heavy, you lose weight by eating at a deficit. You'll do just as well lifting weights that aren't the heaviest you can possibly manage.

this, tho lifting heavy does build muscle faster which in turn will consume more energy to maintain so it's not total phallacy, however if you lift beyond your limits you do more damage then good and will perpetually be in repair mode. Lifting heavy is fine for people who are already adept at lifting weights, if not just lift moderate and push yourself when you can.

but total body resistance is more important, use your own body's weight and add intentional resistance will do a hell of alot more good then lifting dead weights and using machines that target one body part at a time..
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Lift heavy!!

I was contemplating a post along those lines myself. I think a lot is transatlantic culture differences though, something I've noticed when I've been in the US is far more pure lifters than in UK.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Lift heavy!!

The OP never said said she wanted to lose, she asked what she needed to do the lose the bit fat on her belly.

Lifting heavy isn't about losing weight it's about changing the shape of your body and it works extremely well for those that are close to their goal weight. I have read numerous success stories from women on MFP and elsewhere that has proven this.

Seriously, why are you hating on those that promote heavy lifting..????!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    The OP never said said she wanted to lose, she asked what she needed to do the lose the bit fat on her belly.

And essentially neither one will spot-reduce. Both cardio and resistance burn calories, core work will provide a more stable base for the excess to sit on, but it won't inherently remove that last bit of fat.

It's really about objectives, what does one want to achieve with training and the intangible benefits of the regime that one opts for.
  • DavPul
    Options

Lift heavy!!

Not sure you understand what lift heavy means. Nice rant though
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Seriously, why are you hating on those that promote heavy lifting..????!!!

Not hating, just pointing out that no matter what the subject matter being discussed on here, you'll eventually get someone stroll in and promote lifting heavy, usually along with eating less. "Lift heavy, eat less" seems to be their mantra for anything and everything.
    They blunder into a topic and start spouting off whether the topic relates to their ideas or not or whether the topic creator was asking about lifting or not. It's like they're so blinkered and desperate to have everyone follow their way of thinking they forget that not everyone is the same, we all have different ways of doing things and different goals, not all of which can be simply achieved by "Lift heavy, eat less"
    Remember, nothing to do with health and fitness seems to be an exact science. There's so many different approaches and ideas out there and all of them have those who believe them and those who think they're hogwash and there's no scientific proof either way.
  • wibblefps
    Options
    For me personally, after years of trying different approaches to lose the belly fat, it was:

- Backing off the weights in the gym
    - Alot more cardio
    - A little more protein in the morning and fewer carbs after lunch

That's what did it for me
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is often the last to go, your body likes to store at least 2 types of fat there on a more or less permanent basis. Increasing the kcals used to exercise any way you care to will eventually get to it. Spot reduction does not work, etc etc.

Cardio is NEVER to be dropped though. You cannot be fully healthy without it, imagine being 'totally ripped' and not being able to walk up hill, jog for a bus etc. Lifting is not the be all and end all, it has its place, just as cardio does!
  • DavPul
    Options
    Where are these imaginary people that are totally ripped but can't walk up a hill or catch a bus? Has anyone witnessed this? When does this ever happen?
  • DavPul
    Options

Not hating, just pointing out that no matter what the subject matter being discussed on here, you'll eventually get someone stroll in and promote lifting heavy, usually along with eating less. "Lift heavy, eat less" seems to be their mantra for anything and everything.
    They blunder into a topic and start spouting off whether the topic relates to their ideas or not or whether the topic creator was asking about lifting or not. It's like they're so blinkered and desperate to have everyone follow their way of thinking they forget that not everyone is the same, we all have different ways of doing things and different goals, not all of which can be simply achieved by "Lift heavy, eat less"
    Remember, nothing to do with health and fitness seems to be an exact science. There's so many different approaches and ideas out there and all of them have those who believe them and those who think they're hogwash and there's no scientific proof either way.

I'm confused. You don't believe that's there's any science in the subject but you seem upset that people are promoting something that they have seen work for many people. If there's no science, why do you think they are so wrong? Why u mad?