Calories are NOT equal

Options

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am at a healthy weight, healthy blood work and my diary would make a clean eater weep.

I really do not care what others eat, you should try that....it is liberating not to have the faith of the world on your shoulders
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Ok, I in NO way meant any harm or insult here. I only was trying to help. Proof? Ask any nutritionist or doctor, read any health book or magazine...pretty much anywhere you can learn that. It's not a bad thing or hurtful thing that I said, but I see it sure hit a lot of nerves and I don't understand that at all.
    It's because there are lots of actual healthy people out there that will tell you that one DOESN'T have to eat "processed" free to have good health. Even registered Dieticians (much better source of actual advice on food/beverage consumption than a nutritionist or doctor) will advise people that eating in a way that one can do for life with calorie control while getting in essential vitamins and minerals is a excellent plan to follow.
    I never said not to have that treat every once in a while. I was trying to help, because YES when you give your body foods closest to nature, our system knows exactly what to do with it very easily. Food today is so unhealthy and that is why we, as people are getting so sick and new illnesses keep popping up. Look on ANY article and see what it says how to prevent these illness or how to just stay healthy....what you eat is #1. What you eat is about 80% of health.
    Health is more than just food. One can eat perfect, not exercise, not get enough sleep, have high stress, have bad genetics, live in a bad environment, and have bad self image and I doubt that 80% would matter. Why is there more illness and health issues...........the same predictor that's always been the number one risk factor........................weight.
    There is a saying in the health world, "bodies are made in the kitchen" which goes for healthy foods or unhealthy foods.

Again, never thought this would ruffle so many feathers, and for that, I am truly sorry.
    While I see that your premise was to try to be more informing and inspiring, you came up a bit short. Trust when I tell you that at the beginning of my career as a trainer, I believed the philosophy of "clean eating" only. As I researched it through peer reviewed studies and papers, I came to find out how the body actually worked scientifically. I now no longer have clients diet. I let them know how their macros/micros should be divided and how many calories they should eat each day. That's it. How they arrive there is their journey.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    mmk.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I have been surprised to find so many people staying under their calorie goal, yet when you see what they eat is shocks me. Yes, they stayed under, BUT they ate crap! Fast food, processed foods, white breads, and soda.

This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible. You body is not going to burn/use those crap calories the same way healthy foods will. When you eat healthy, your body burns it fast and uses pretty much every bit of that food, but when you eat processed, high sodium and fat foods, you will more then likely store some of that food into fat. Proof? Give a person the same number of calories but one eats all the healthy/clean foods while the other eats the junk. Whose body looks better? Also, it's not just weight gain that's affected, it's your hair and skin health too.

When you eat healthy, you feel healthy :)

What do YOU think?

Citation? I'd love to see that study. Lol
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am at a healthy weight, healthy blood work and my diary would make a clean eater weep.

I really do not care what others eat, you should try that....it is liberating not to have the faith of the world on your shoulders

I love you. You said that perfectly. :flowerforyou:
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would argue that calories ARE equal...but the macronutrients they represent are not. One may be able to stay under their calorie target by eating "junk"...but they will probably pay for it in the long run if the macros are off.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think you're presenting a false dichotomy. You don't have to choose between eating all whole foods or eating all junk food. My diet is a mixture of both. Today I am having apple crisp cheesecake (which I made from scratch, it's delicious), 2 servings of raw baby carrots, 2% cottage cheese, grilled chicken skewers, peas, black beans and rice, fresh peaches, greek yogurt, and ice cream. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

^^^^^this^^^ after torturing myself off and on since I was 13 years old I've finally figured out that BALANCE is the key!
    now "pretty please with sugar on top" give me the recipe for the apple crisp cheesecake! baking is one of my hobbies and specialties!
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your ivory tower, m'lady. I'm sure it's low in sodium and saturated fats.
    hello, new best friend.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Pretty much this.. :drinker:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I have been surprised to find so many people staying under their calorie goal, yet when you see what they eat is shocks me. Yes, they stayed under, BUT they ate crap! Fast food, processed foods, white breads, and soda.

This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible. You body is not going to burn/use those crap calories the same way healthy foods will. When you eat healthy, your body burns it fast and uses pretty much every bit of that food, but when you eat processed, high sodium and fat foods, you will more then likely store some of that food into fat. Proof? Give a person the same number of calories but one eats all the healthy/clean foods while the other eats the junk. Whose body looks better? Also, it's not just weight gain that's affected, it's your hair and skin health too.

What do YOU think?
    What do I think? I think this has nothing to do with reality, and the appeal of "clean eating" is that it's an ego game so you can feel superior about yourself.

If your 'clean' foods make a better body, please tell us, what exactly can you do with yours?
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Why did you think this was a good idea to post this?
    Is this the first time you've seen the forums..
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible.

One step at a time.

For someone with a large number of pounds to lose, the most important step is to get into the habit of logging and eating at a deficit.

Details on "food quality" improvement are secondary, and can come later.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Actually, being a hairdresser for 30 years, people who are dieting having crappy hair, the shining, lustrous hair is frequently on heavier and/or high fat eaters.
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options

What do YOU think?

I'm guessing thats what everyone calls eating clean is basically no processed foods and fast food...All you can do is set a example and hope they catch onto it for there own sake...I mostly eat healthy but not always.I rarely eat fast food and I don't like soda at all.Personally I wish I could avoid all GMO's best I can do is have a garden,and I wish I could buy organic tastes and makes me feel so much better,but with 5 kids bread is a loaf or two a day and same with milk and try cooking eggs for them at least takes 12 eggs in one meal. Just need my own chickens and a cow next :laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think you're presenting a false dichotomy. You don't have to choose between eating all whole foods or eating all junk food. My diet is a mixture of both. Today I am having apple crisp cheesecake (which I made from scratch, it's delicious), 2 servings of raw baby carrots, 2% cottage cheese, grilled chicken skewers, peas, black beans and rice, fresh peaches, greek yogurt, and ice cream. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

^^^^^this^^^ after torturing myself off and on since I was 13 years old I've finally figured out that BALANCE is the key!
    now "pretty please with sugar on top" give me the recipe for the apple crisp cheesecake! baking is one of my hobbies and specialties!

It's in your inbox. :flowerforyou:
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I believe that clan eating is a great strategy for those who want to lose but don't count calories. It's really harder to overeat in veggies and low fat foods than with the standard american diet. However, if you are counting calories and you hit your macros and get ample micronutrients, then clean eating is completely unnecessary.

Eat what you want, control portions, and don't deprive yourself of your favorite foods. A diet you can easily adapt to your lifestyle will be easier to stick with in the long run. Doing IIFYM has helped me lose more weight than ever before, because I was able to stick with it.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    thisthreadme.gif
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I agree with you and eat very, very little of the bad stuff and even then only occasionally. But this is why I don't open my diary. I don't need anyone to peer into it and pass judgement on it.