Calories are NOT equal

Replies

• And what in the name of all that's holy is a macro, please? Sounds like something Hubs might put on my computer for playing MMORPGs.

There are three (well, really four if you count alcohol) macros (macronutrient)

Protein, Fats and Carbs.

I clearly will have a lot to learn regarding this new venture. I try to balance out serving sizes when I'm eating. Generally, my own nutritional rules are:

The more fruits and veggies, the merrier; unless it's starchy veggies like peas which I suspect of smuggling calories to my hips.

Any serving of meat more than 3 ounces at a time is wasted.

Cheese is tasty, but only 2 ounces is one serving. Two ounces is frikkin small. That's too bad, but there it is.

Cheetos and donuts will do you in if you let them.

Just about everything (including restaurant food) is genetically modified. Deliciously genetically modified. Expect to mutate eventually.

Moderation. You can still have a sweet now and then. Just don't om nom nom yourself into double digit sized jeans.

That red solo cup holds sixteen ounces. It looks like one serving, but it is lying. It's really two. Might as well pour Tab in it and risk the cancer from the fake sugar, than the more possible heart attack from the sugars which your body will store as fat.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Yes that's completely true. Like if I ate oatmeal which was 200 calories, it would keep me full for longer and my metabolism would be higher, which means I'd burn fat faster. But if i ate a sugary cereal, it would store it as fat and wouldn't keep me full. And fizzy drinks with 0 calories, they're so bad for you and it has really bad effects on you.

Might I suggest finding an online course on basic nutrition? It is very helpful towards gaining some insight into why nearly everything you said is incorrect.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Genes play a big part of it. Macros for one person may be ok but the same diet would cause high cholesterol in another.

Wut.
    this is true. high cholesterol is genetic. some people are predisposed for high cholesterol. and the have to watch their intake

Watch their intake of... what, exactly?
    about 70% of the cholesterol we have is made in our bodies. the excess is reabsorbed. people with high cholesterol do a poor job with the reabsorption. adding too much external cholesterol (from eggs, shrimp, etc) just add to the problem.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    In for food shaming.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    And what in the name of all that's holy is a macro, please? Sounds like something Hubs might put on my computer for playing MMORPGs.

Protein, Fats and Carbs.

I clearly will have a lot to learn regarding this new venture. I try to balance out serving sizes when I'm eating. Generally, my own nutritional rules are:

The more fruits and veggies, the merrier; unless it's starchy veggies like peas which I suspect of smuggling calories to my hips.

Cheese is tasty, but only 2 ounces is one serving. Two ounces is frikkin small. That's too bad, but there it is.

Just about everything (including restaurant food) is genetically modified. Deliciously genetically modified. Expect to mutate eventually.

Moderation. You can still have a sweet now and then. Just don't om nom nom yourself into double digit sized jeans.

That red solo cup holds sixteen ounces. It looks like one serving, but it is lying. It's really two. Might as well pour Tab in it and risk the cancer from the fake sugar, than the more possible heart attack from the sugars which your body will store as fat.

Fruits and veggies have calories. You need to be careful with them. Moderation, as you say.

Where does your "3 ounces of meat" rule come from? It's nonsensical. Your body needs protein, especially if you're losing weight.
  • whierd
    And what in the name of all that's holy is a macro, please? Sounds like something Hubs might put on my computer for playing MMORPGs.

Protein, Fats and Carbs.

Eating a lot of your calories from veggies and fruits is great. However, starches are fine. It is an old myth that starches are bad for you. Carbs are made up of three general components. Starches, sugars, and fiber.

I eat more meat at a time than that regularly. Your body requires a lot more protein than you'd think to preserve muscle mass while eating at a caloric deficit.

I eat all sorts of cheese and dairy. Unless you have an intolerance, you're fine, providing that it hits your macros. It is full of fats and proteins which are good for you in the right amounts.

Exactly, IF you let them. Having a small amount, providing that it fits into your daily calorie and macro goal, is fine.

GMOs will not make you mutate. In fact, as far as I can tell, there is nothing inherently wrong with GMOs.

Agreed.

Yes, this is why weighing and measuring accurately is important. Eyeballing tends to make people underestimate what they are consuming.
  • denesemcd
    denesemcd Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you! I am struggling myself to give up junk and to eat nutritious and filling food.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Read Fast Food Nation. It's just unbelievable to me the venom with which people will defend processed food. The makers of fast foods and processed foods love you; their advertising dollars have been well spent.

Stop. That book made my brain bleed. I'd read wheat belly four more time before I read Fast Food Nation again.
    So I guess you mean it was worse than terrible? :laugh:

Interesting - I haven't read wheat belly nor fast food nation. Guess maybe now i shouldnt.
  • whierd
    Genes play a big part of it. Macros for one person may be ok but the same diet would cause high cholesterol in another.

Wut.
    this is true. high cholesterol is genetic. some people are predisposed for high cholesterol. and the have to watch their intake

about 70% of the cholesterol we have is made in our bodies. the excess is reabsorbed. people with high cholesterol do a poor job with the reabsorption. adding too much external cholesterol (from eggs, shrimp, etc) just add to the problem.

Yes, but cholesterol is not a macro, so the same macro spread for one person will not necessarily mean a high LDL cholesterol intake for another.
  • whierd
    Thank you! I am struggling myself to give up junk and to eat nutritious and filling food.

The point many people here are trying to make is that you do not have to give up "junk", you just need to eat it in moderation and only when you can fit it into your day properly.
  • baptiste565

Wut.

Yes, but cholesterol is not a macro, so the same macro spread for one person will not necessarily mean a high LDL cholesterol intake for another.
    true
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member

Protein, Fats and Carbs.

Nothing wrong with starchy vegetables. They're full of vitamins and minerals.

I'm not sure anything more than 3 ounces of meat is wasted. At least, I hope not because I'm an 8 ounce steak kind of girl.

A serving of cheese is whatever I say it is, and 2 ounces of cheese is actually not that small an amount. I've started weighing my cheese and realized I very very rarely ever ate more than half a serving at a time.
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    I have been surprised to find so many people staying under their calorie goal, yet when you see what they eat is shocks me. Yes, they stayed under, BUT they ate crap! Fast food, processed foods, white breads, and soda.

This site is great for calorie counting and nutrition data, but it doesn't teach how to eat to fuel your body the best way possible. You body is not going to burn/use those crap calories the same way healthy foods will. When you eat healthy, your body burns it fast and uses pretty much every bit of that food, but when you eat processed, high sodium and fat foods, you will more then likely store some of that food into fat. Proof? Give a person the same number of calories but one eats all the healthy/clean foods while the other eats the junk. Whose body looks better? Also, it's not just weight gain that's affected, it's your hair and skin health too.

When you eat healthy, you feel healthy :)

What do YOU think?

I swear all you people on this site are so judgmental. Who CARES what someone else eats? It's not your body or your problem. Get off of your high horse, all of you. If they want to eat ****, let them eat ****. If they want to eat 1000 calories a day, let 'em do it. It's. Not. Your. Business.

Damn.
  • baptiste565

Protein, Fats and Carbs.
    there r also some laboratory made macros - sugar alcohols. sweet as sugar but about half the cals.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    I am a larger woman, I am considered obese by many terms. This is the first time in I don't know how long that I have been able to lose weight and keep it off over a long period. When I say long period I mean over 2 weeks, because that is when I usually give up. I think ANY doctor would want me to lose the weight in the way that I can and continue to do so without giving up. If I was to throw everything out and go to the foods that YOU want me to eat, I would of said screw that and given up. However since it is me and not anyone else, I will do what is good for me. I have been using MFP just a hare over a month and you can see I am making a difference in my weight.

I think that slow changes are better than no changes. Is it important to be more conscientious of what you eat, heck yea that is how you lose weight. Do you have to give up everything and start new to lose weight, no. In fact I hardly ever exercise, I lead a very sedentary lifestyle.

I am curious about one thing though, where do you get the time to go roaming around other peoples diaries? Where do you get off by telling people what is right for them? I am in my senior year in getting my Bachelor’s Degree and if you were to make that statement in a classroom setting you would be blasted since you have no way to support it. When I say support it I mean by an accredited source, which Wikis, blogs, and a diet site is not an accredited source. You want a source that can stand on its own.

The one thing that I have found is you can get on a higher perch than other people and proclaim how much better you are than everyone else, just so you can feel better about yourself, or you can give positive feedback that will help encourage people instead of tearing them down. I think that this is something that you truly need to think about working on. Maybe people wouldn’t have blasted you so horribly bad if you had given sources, and not been so snarky and nasty on your post.

I feel like you about going past 2 weeks - a great accomplishment. I'm in my 4th month here and I am so grateful for that accomplishment. Hang in there because its real nice (in my opinion) when others notice it and tell you how different you look. its great when renewed energy comes back and stuff like being able to tie shoes better happens.

I spend a lot of time on the internet here, and I check out people's diaries for information to see what they eat, especially the ones who claim they eat Poptarts, fried chicken, ice cream, and pizza on a regular basis.. I even put up a topic about it.. then i found it - it was not as i interpreted it. these people really do eat that stuff on a very limited basis.

I myself try to write in a "customer service" type way such i am writing here, but thats how i talk most of the time.. except when a harsh word is appropriate.

I cant say anything about anyone else, only to say if someone delivers a harsh message, i try to see the truth in what they are saying, and ignore the delivery, and sometimes those are best things i could have heard. Other times if someone really is rude for realz, I i try to gnore it because thats gonna happen along the way. Unless its something blatant like people who hate cats and are mean to them .. THEN I get uppity!!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

Protein, Fats and Carbs.
    there r also some laboratory made macros - sugar alcohols. sweet as sugar but about half the cals.

Um no... there isn't.
  • I am loving this! I must say, it is great that people start with the portion control, calories and macro control. We first learn this way, because I know when I started measuring and weighing everything I was shocked to see what a real serving looks like. Second step is getting those workouts in, and third is to learn the differences between foods/nutrition.

Believe me, I've gone through all this myself. Now I let myself have fast food at certain places and make sure it's one of the healthier options. Second, every once in awhile I will have that cookie or cupcake, but I know that when I do that, I then start craving sweets again and it's hard to get back on track. This is not just what happens to me, but to so many out there.

I guess it depends on what your goals are.

I love the people who actually debated this, but for those who exploded with defensiveness and hate, makes me see a nerve was hit in a big way...I wonder why that is.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member

Protein, Fats and Carbs.

The phrase, "the solution is worse than the problem," comes to mind.
  • whierd

Protein, Fats and Carbs.

A macronutrient is merely a nutrient that your body needs a large amount of to survive and function properly.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

Protein, Fats and Carbs.

Um no... there isn't.

He's right. Xylitol, sorbitol, etc. These are used in sugar-free gum and syrup, among other things. They taste sweet and are artificial but still have calories. The difference is they're sweeter than sugar so you need less and each molecule has fewer calories to boot. They're mostly found in nature, but produced synthetically.