i have absolutely no will power..

Options
I used to, idk what happen. I have none. no will power at all. I can't stay away from everything awful, I can't control my appetite. my love for candy & sugary things. I can't even cut my portions.. I don't like fruit, with the exception of watermelon, and sometimes bananas.. I just have no motivation to start..

I can't get started.. why?

i'm at my highest weight EVER. 319... 319!! :(

I eat because i'm sad, i'm sad because I eat.

idk what to do, what to try, who to turn to..

I could get adipex but i'm terrified of everything, esp. pharmaceuticals.

someone help? someone tell me they've been through this, and have gotten through this.

I need something. I didn't know where else to go.

I haven't even been taking care of myself with the exception if hygiene. no make up, no dressing up.. I feel bloated like a blimp constantly.. what's the point?

today will be long.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    well get some!
    get out there are kick some butt!
    its all about willpower!
    DO IT!
  • sbeezii
    Options
    I would, but I don't know where to find it.. where do I get that from?

how do I get started?

I don't even know how to make a plan.
  • tburkett1915
    Options
    In all truth it's more about habit than will power. Losing weight is a journey of effort so start small. What are two things you can change? Could you start drinking more water, become more active? If you have time google Michael Mosley and watch his documentaries on exercise, weight lose and fasting. Each documentary is about 1hour.
  • irishpinks
    irishpinks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Start with small goals, for week one, try to eliminate something like chips and replace it with a 20 minute walk. If that works then add to it the following week. Remember only to focus on the small goals - otherwise it can be overwhelming.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    pray. you have to want this bad. the motivation has to come from within. and when you get sick and tired of being sick and tired. youll make the change.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You've made the first step in admitting you have a problem and a desire to change it. Now you need to put a plan in place. First step IMHO is figuring out what changed. It's there in your mind somewhere, you just have to keep thinking about it and identify the reason. And it might be rough because it probably has something to do with why you're sad but you have to face it. Maybe even consider therapy.

For me, one of my big hurdles was figuring out why every diet attempt I'd made had failed. It took a few months of thinking about it but it finally hit me that I was a foodie and trying to avoid certain things just wasn't going to work. I had to change my thinking to what I can't have vs what I could have but in a healthier way and/or in smaller portions. Once I started experimenting with favorite recipes or finding new versions of old favorites, it became easier.

Keep a journal, write down all your thoughts, goals, etc.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there's no secret source of will power. Every single person on this site who has been successful had to make the decision to become a healthier person. It's incredibly simple, but that doesn't make it easy. You have to decide that becoming healthier is worth your effort (believe me, it is), and then you have to just hunker down and do it. No tricks, no gimmicks, no pills, no "kick starts" or whatever else.

Look at every decision you make as a chance to make yourself healthier. Watch TV or take a walk? Eat a side dish of french fries or fresh vegetables? Drink a large Coke or a bottle of water? One decision at a time. Sometimes you'll make unhealthy decisions, but that doesn't mean you're a failure. It's just a detour, you can always get back on track.

Start small, making one change at a time. It's easier to get long-term, sustainable results if you don't try to drastically change your lifestyle all at once.

And develop a healthier relationship with food and exercise, and with yourself. You may want to seek counseling if you feel that there are fundamental psychological issues that are causing you to overeat. For me personally, I didn't develop a healthy sense of self-esteem until I stopped worrying about how I looked and started worrying about making myself healthier and stronger. Maybe that's what you need as well.

Good luck!
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've definitely been in the same boat as you. I call it the "EAT ALL THE THINGS" mentality. Kind of like I'm looking to fill a craving, but I don't know what that craving is?

First, do you like popcorn? Because if you do, even if it's not what you're craving it's a great filler and fairly low calorie-wise.

Second, if you're not sure how to start making a plan, have you tried seeing a nutritionist? They can definitely help with that. I was worried when I first saw one that they'd be judgmental and pushy like the doctor, but she ended up being great. I can't wait to see her again next month.

Third, the thing that helped me the most when I started was planning out my day the night before. Log everything you're going to eat, snacks and all. Make sure to include some things in there that are things you can't live without. Mine was pop. I have to make sure to add pop into my calories, or I'm sure I wouldn't have made it this far. Don't spend time in the kitchen or even go to the fridge unless you're going to get the things that are on your list. If you have someone else in your house that makes things for you, or can help to support you, ask them for help in controlling your eating. I know I had a roommate once who just gave me all her trigger items (when I wasn't dieting) and had me hide them in my room.

You can do this, but you need to find something that really hits you. Think of something you want to change, and why. A few months ago I had to ask for a seatbelt extender on a plane -- I never want to do that again. You can do this. If you'd like to add me as a friend for support, feel free :)
  • Jax373
    Options
    I can sympathize! I have no will power either when it comes to food. I've been better since I started watching my calories. I'm getting to the point where I am not eating (or not as much) when I am not technically hungry. But I definately understand on the candy and sugary things....if it's there, I want it!

Once my body got used to less calories, it is a lot easier to avoid eating when I'm not hungry and just bored. If you think you're hungry, drink some water first then ask yourself again if you are truly hunger. Have a few treats but start limiting yourself. Yes, it is VERY hard at first. But once your body gets used to not having that stuff as much, you won't crave it as bad. And it only gets easier. You said you don't like fruit? How about veggies? I usually have cauliflower and carrots with dill dip everyday for a snack. Fills me up between meals and is healthy. Or I snack on lowfat motz cheese sticks a lot.

Stick with it. You'll feel so much better as you start to eat healther and shed the pounds. Also, start exercising. Even if it's just a walk around the block at first. I hate exercising and sweating. But I have started doing at least 20 minutes a day and it makes me feel so much better after I do it.

Even if you have a bad night and eat a ton of extra calories (which I have done many times), just remember that that does not make or break you. Just realize that you are still learning and get back on track. You can do this!

You can do this!
  • Dionnasthree
    Dionnasthree Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost my way also but I have begun to do the baby steps back. I'm drinking water a little more even if it just four ounces at a time. It was more than I had previously done which was nothing. Change is just that.....It doesn't happen instantly.
  • sharonharrisgrabowski
    Options
    I feel exactly like you. I do want to change. Starting today I am trying to get healthy for myself and my family. My mom told me yesterday that she has lost a few pounds. Her athritis is so bad she can barely do anything. If she can do it, I can too. I wish I had an answer for emotional eating. I suffer from that too. Try logging all your food choices today - good or bad. Then see if there is one meal today that you could make healthier tomorrow. Try a small step. You can do it. I can too.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there's no secret source of will power. Every single person on this site who has been successful had to make the decision to become a healthier person. It's incredibly simple, but that doesn't make it easy. You have to decide that becoming healthier is worth your effort (believe me, it is), and then you have to just hunker down and do it. No tricks, no gimmicks, no pills, no "kick starts" or whatever else.

Look at every decision you make as a chance to make yourself healthier. Watch TV or take a walk? Eat a side dish of french fries or fresh vegetables? Drink a large Coke or a bottle of water? One decision at a time. Sometimes you'll make unhealthy decisions, but that doesn't mean you're a failure. It's just a detour, you can always get back on track.

Start small, making one change at a time. It's easier to get long-term, sustainable results if you don't try to drastically change your lifestyle all at once.

And develop a healthier relationship with food and exercise, and with yourself. You may want to seek counseling if you feel that there are fundamental psychological issues that are causing you to overeat. For me personally, I didn't develop a healthy sense of self-esteem until I stopped worrying about how I looked and started worrying about making myself healthier and stronger. Maybe that's what you need as well.

Good luck!

This is my experience as well

You have done the hardest part, the first step is recognizing you have a problem and you are searching for a solution.
    This tells me you love yourself enough to reach out. Most of us at MFP have been in this journey for a long time.

Stay with us at MFP, read "Success stories", inform and educate yourself. Take it "one day at a time"
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Good luck with your journey to health.:flowerforyou:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. But you have to come up with the willpower to even take those.

Set a reasonable calorie limit for this week and eat/drink whatever you want within it. Do NOT immediately go down to 1200 calories (which is often a fatal flaw for people on here and they end up starving and binging). Go for a 15 minute walk every day. Voila, you've started changing your life while barely changing anything.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would, but I don't know where to find it.. where do I get that from?

how do I get started?

I don't even know how to make a plan.

A great way to get started is just to log what you eat (and any exercise you're doing) every day for a week. It's a really good way to find out where you can make some changes.

Once you've gotten in the habit of logging consistently, identify your biggest problem area (soda, salty snacks, etc.) and try substituting something healthier for a week. It may also help to keep a diary of when you experience the biggest cravings.

For example, I always crave chocolate in the afternoon. I think it's the result of being given cookies with my lunch every day when I was a kid. Now I make sure to leave room for a chocolate protein shake in the afternoon. It satisfies my chocolate craving and is healthier than cookies and brownies, which always seem to be around in my workplace.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I know it's not popuplar but remove the things that are the biggest offenders.

I don't believe in stopping eating any kind of food but I can tell you right now that bread isn't making it into this house. Why? Because it's like crack and all of sudden I will eat the most not healthy sandwiches you've ever seen for every meal lol.

And just for the record I got up to near you weight wisebecause I love food and hate to cook and I'm figuring it out. If it helps just focus on meeting calories first and then focus on eating nutrient dense food 2nd. Deciding to change your eating habits for life and eating a bunch of "healthy" food instead of what you are used to can be intimidating for some. However for others the best idea is to just throw out the junk.

Don't feel bad if it takes awhile to find out what works for you. As long as you are honestly working toward this, you shouldn't ever feel bad about yourself. Food is the one addiction people can have that they can't remove from their life, it can take some time.
  • sportybrewerschick
    Options
    I've been there, done that. I know this is hard, but get everything "bad" out of your house. I was told to do this and it helped A LOT! slowly but surely I broke this cycle. you can do it girl. I know you can. feel free to add me if you need. :) XX
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    the thing I really like about using this site is, every day is a new day, yesterday is forgotten, true you can look back at what you ate but you have a new page. A new start every day.

You have an inkling of what will help you become fitter/healthier. Slimmer is a by product of becoming healthy so take simple steps. May be log in everything you eat without making any changes then look at the end of the day, or several days and see where you are and what you are really doing and then give yourself one change for a comfortable while then add another and you will be even more under way than you are now.

I am 100 days in and it can get to you, but you, we are all bigger than letting it get you down for long. for me this is all about breathing better, moving better, and feeling better. all the best hang on in there.
  • laurensabo
    laurensabo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so with your sister. Today is the first day of sooooo many tries but I WILL NOT GIVE UP! My strategy is baby steps. Today I will concentrate on my water -- hopefully this will fill me up and I won't crave as much. My huge problems (besides portions) is eating late at night. My husband goes to bed early and I am left on my own to cheat. I haven't created a strategy for this yet -- and I would love to hear some thoughts -- but right now I'm planning on munching on carrotts or just going to bed. Lastly, as a start, try to recruit a friend to take a walk down to the end of the street with you -- it's beautiful outside this time of year and the walk goes so much fasting when your chatting. Do whatever you have to do to start a habit. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • neraulia
    neraulia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try eating some fresh fruit and veggies (especially green veggies) every day, even if you still eat junk. That way, you will be getting more nutrients and start getting used to the taste of healthier food.

Also, it sounds like you might be dealing with some depression. If you can take a walk outside to get some vitamin D, that may help, as well as other coping strategies such as talking to supportive friends/family, doing non-food-related activities like reading, writing, listening to music, even playing video games.

If you feel overwhelmed, try to take things one day at a time. Make sure to pat yourself on the back when you make a healthy choice.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Sounds like you are a very emotional eater. You eat something because you are feeling a certain way and then you regret it later. How about trying a food diary. Log what you eat and why you are eating it or how you feel. If you find a patter of events you can start to change it. Like every time I talk to my Mom she hounds me about my weight, I get upset and go for the ice cream. Then you can talk to your Mom about it or learn to keep the conversation with her short. This is just an example and you have to try and find what it is for you. But don't just give up. You are depressed because of your weight and that just doesn't go away. I have totally been there and can hear myself in what you wrote. I have my husband as a workout partner and that has really helped me. He is a constant inspiration to me and drives me to get my butt to the gym and try harder every day. A workout buddy could be super helpful for you. The biggest thing is to try. So today cut out one bad thing you would normally eat and try to find something better to fill it with. Sugar is super addictive so it's going to be like cutting out a drug and you have to get used to it not being in your life. Stay strong!