Is curvy the same thing as fat?

Options

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    No, I have seen curvy girls who don't weigh very much. And I've seen people call fat girls "curvy" to avoid offending them. However, I don't think curvy is the same thing as fat. When I think of curvy, I think of maybe an average girl who doesn't have a lot of muscle and is an hourglass or pear shape, not flat.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My measurements are 34-25-38 and people call me curvy. And since curvy is just a nicer synonym for fat, did they really mean I was fat? I'm so confused with the difference between curvy vs. fat. What do you classify as "curvy"?

Where you are bigger in areas just means more muscle there....""Fat evens out all over your body where you appear bigger is just more muscle mass underneath "

Oooooh, so my boobs are just muscle then?! I guess they DO lift my shirt.
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You have a 25 inch waist - you are not fat! :-)

^^^ THIS! How did it take two pages of replies for this to be said. Honestly, who cares what was meant by whoever called you curvy? Even if they had actually said "you are so fat!" they would be dead wrong.

If your hips and/or bust are significantly wider than your waist, you are curvy.
    If you are an adult with a 25" waist, then you are not fat.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    gillian-mckeith-nigella-lawson-comparison-520.jpg

Nigella is curvy, Gillian McKeith isn't.

Nigella is my future body hero. :)
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I don't think curvy and fat are the same thing...

Fat is fat.

ETA - Slim women can be curvy too!
    I hate the "real women have curves" excuse for being fat. However, if someone needs this to make themselves feel better...so be it.

All of this.

:drinker:
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    My measurements are 34-25-38 and people call me curvy. And since curvy is just a nicer synonym for fat, did they really mean I was fat? I'm so confused with the difference between curvy vs. fat. What do you classify as "curvy"?

Where you are bigger in areas just means more muscle there....""Fat evens out all over your body where you appear bigger is just more muscle mass underneath "

Mine cause...ahem...items...on OTHER people to lift. That's hard core muscle baby!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You can have curves and be fit at the same time. Look at Salma Hayek
    She's my SO's favorite. I gave him permission to sleep with her, he said he'd leave me for her. lol
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think curvy means a very defined waist. Curvy girls can be thin or chubby or anywhere in between, but being round does not make one curvy.

I agree - most of the models who resemble adolescent boys - are not fat and they are not curvy. What happened to Mae West and Marilyn Monroe types? :-)
    8% of the female population is an hourglass. I don't think we should be defining beauty so narrowly. No one can help her bone structure or natural breast size.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    When it comes to women, I define curvy has having somewhat large breast and hips with a significantly smaller waist. Just having big hips/bust isn't enough, the waist must be smaller to create the curve. You can be fat and curvy or you can be thin and curvy.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Your measurements seem to me to be an hourglass shape, which is very pretty.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I've heard 'curvy' being used as a politically correct term to say 'fat', just like in the old days they say 'big boned'. Even supposedly neutral words like 'thick' and 'large' are viewed as obscene these days.

Like somebody said earlier: when men say it they mean a body with relatively high proportion of hip to waist, when women say it they can mean fat. Men generally aren't very up-to-date with women's politically correct terms for fat.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    During my stint of toying around with online dating, I learned that fat women call themselves curvy to make themselves feel better about being fat. Fat rolls =/= curvy. I always wanted to tell them:

YlBvpg3.jpg
  • SweetTrouble_
    SweetTrouble_ Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    To me curvy isn't the same as fat. I'd take curvy as a compliment.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Tell me more.....slowly.....
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    No curvy is a compliment. Curvy is better than fat. I mean skinny people can be curvy too. It is just a way of saying you have a nice figure. At least that's how I would take it lol Plus your measurements are lower then mine so that is a plus too lol
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    During my stint of toying around with online dating, I learned that fat women call themselves curvy to make themselves feel better about being fat. Fat rolls =/= curvy. I always wanted to tell them:

YlBvpg3.jpg

Oh online dating, you crazy beast... I put myself as curvy at first, cause I'm quite hourglass in figure. That's just how I'm made. And I wasn't even remotely overweight. Men literally wrote me saying "You should change that. Here on match curvy apparently means obese." Interesting....

But at the end of the day, who cares what you call yourself.

Today, I'm referring to myself as "Juicy."

Deal with it.
  • shelbelw
    shelbelw Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    8% of the female population is an hourglass. I don't think we should be defining beauty so narrowly. No one can help her bone structure or natural breast size.
    [/quote]

Thank you. At my best weight/shape, I have small boobs and narrow hips. Since I have gained weight, most of it went to my stomach and torso. If "round" is a shape, that's what I am right now. My "curves" are in the wrong places, and when my fat is gone, I have no curves. Hooray for curvy, but it ain't me!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    A 25" waist is not "fat".
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    curvy = fat in my experience, just not as rude.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Not in my mind. Its the natural S curvature from the shoulder down to the hips you ladies have that drive the guys crazy. Some women are more "curvy" then others. I would say at some some point too much fat actually lessens the curvature.