I don't even know where I'm going wrong - please help : (

Options

Replies

• lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Frankly I see no evidence that you ever logged diligently for any length of time.

I've had other accounts, but they're closed now.
    I guess that sound unbeleivable but I really did.

Unfortunate. We could have perhaps given more info.

You use a Fitbit? Go to the dashboard (not the new beta) and click on Month. How many calories have you burned the last 30 days?

OK I've got 59003 for the month, a little over 1900 average
    I have negative adjustments enabled so on those low days (usually the weekends because I'm not at work) I do eat less to compensate (just because I'm not logging it doesn't mean I'm not paying attention to it, promise!) So while I say my GOAL is 2100 when it adjusts me down, I note this.

My feeling on the fitbit (it's just the zip) is that it does underestimate for me, with all the standing and movement I do that isn't picked up by the device as "steps" it assumes I'm on my *kitten*.
    I know it's not adding as many calories to my baseline by just standing as it would doing real exercise,but everything else I see indicated that doing what I do DOES burn more calories than just sitting.

So going by that I would have expected a small loss (2lb or so) in the month. Or at least to maintain! Instead I gain.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    1900 average means you need to eat less than that.

You have zero grounds to say it underestimates until you have some time of accurate logging to compare to.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Skip MFP's NEAT method (which is a royal PIA, IMHO because then you have to throw exercise calories into the mix and make it more difficult), and try this one: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

And for an excellent overview of this whole thing, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Yup someone else has given me that and I asked her to help but I took too long so she's gotten angry and gone...
    So...
    I get stuck when having to choose the activity factor... I don't do much "exercise" but nor do I have a desk job. I don't do 7-21 hours of strenuous exercise, but more than 1-3 hours of light movement

When selecting an activity level, I tend to be more conservative. You can always switch activity levels if it doesn't work out. Clearly, whatever you've got it set to now isn't working. Try bringing it down a notch and see if that works...

Yep. No reason to make it complicated. Pick something that makes sense, track, and compare the numbers to the actual results. Then adjust as necessary.
  • ginakiki
    ginakiki Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ok I know you might not want to hear this but you have to start being positive and just do it. If you want to lose that weight you will. I know its hard I am 5 feet 140pds this is the heaviest I have ever been and I hate it.

Lets start first in baby steps what r u doing wrong....Also go to the dr. and do blood work and check your thyroids, Lyme disease etc.... check for food allergies

1. BE POSTIVE!!!!
    2. PORTION CONTROL
    3. WATER
    4. DONT EAT AFTER 6 OR 7PM
    5. PLAN YOUR MEALS FOR THE WEEK

OK Baby steps are over!

1. JUST DO IT!!!!! FORCE YOURSELF
    2. WORK OUT EVERY DAY TRY 30-60MINS
    3. DO MFP AND TYPE IN WHAT YOUR EATING
    4. LOWER YOUR CALORIES THERE TO HIGH
    5. DO 1200 CAL BUT DON'T STARVE YOUR SELF MAKE SURE YOUR EATING PROTEIN
    6. SWITCH AROUND MEALS DONT EAT THE SAME STUFF ALL THE TIME

You have to want this or you won't lose the weight
    xo
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    log.jpg
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    If you're only doing 5000 steps a day, it's pretty much sedentary. So your TDEE estimations might be too high.

You are mistaken; 5000 steps are not sedentary.....not even close to it.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Ok I know you might not want to hear this but you have to start being positive and just do it. If you want to lose that weight you will. I know its hard I am 5 feet 140pds this is the heaviest I have ever been and I hate it.

Lets start first in baby steps what r u doing wrong....Also go to the dr. and do blood work and check your thyroids, Lyme disease etc.... check for food allergies

1. BE POSTIVE!!!!
    2. PORTION CONTROL
    3. WATER
    4. DONT EAT AFTER 6 OR 7PM not necessary
    5. PLAN YOUR MEALS FOR THE WEEK not necessary

OK Baby steps are over!

1. JUST DO IT!!!!! FORCE YOURSELF
    2. WORK OUT EVERY DAY TRY 30-60MINS
    3. DO MFP AND TYPE IN WHAT YOUR EATING
    4. LOWER YOUR CALORIES THERE TO HIGH
    5. DO 1200 CAL BUT DON'T STARVE YOUR SELF MAKE SURE YOUR EATING PROTEIN
    6. SWITCH AROUND MEALS DONT EAT THE SAME STUFF ALL THE TIME

You have to want this or you won't lose the weight
    xo
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Why do you struggle so much to consistently log food?
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    If you're consistently gaining weight on what you're eating now, then you don't have a deficit. It doesn't matter what all the TDEE estimators and gadgets in the world say, your body has the final word and it's clearly telling you that you're eating too much for your current level of activity. It sucks not to have your body align perfectly with the computer estimates, sure. But since you're gaining you'll have to create a deficit by lowering your caloric intake or raising your calorie expenditure.

Which brings me back to logging. :) You can't lower your calories if you don't have starting point to lower them from. That's where logging comes in. If your estimated 2100 calories a day is making you gain, then first make sure you're really eating that amount and then lower it by 20 percent. I'd hate for you to lower your calories to 1680 if you're really eating 2500 and only need to drop it down to 2000. Make sense?
  • javengreen
    javengreen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What I did to get myself to log (mostly on paper, not all that often on MFP) was to set up a calendar on my fridge. I set up two envelopes as well. One was the bank, one was my reward

Each day I wrote down what I ate, I gave myself a check in the box for the day. Just on a notecard on the fridge. And then I'd switch a dollar intro my reward envelope. Writing down what I ate was worth that dollar to go blow! Also with it on the fridge my husband would congratulate my on my tracking streak!

I made my goal only to write stuff down, because have some kind of record is better than anything. And once the habit is established, it is much easier to move on to writing down specific calories. You'll be curious... you'll want to see what it all adds up to. Being accurate is really helpful (and necessary for many people), but you can get trends without it. What I found by writing down every day was that my habit was to eat healthy when I felt like I had the time, but then go blow it all on desserts and Starbucks and McDonalds and pizza whenever I felt like I was rushed. So my goal became just to pack my lunch and eat breakfast every day, because that was 80% of the battle.

Start small. Bribe yourself. Once you set up the habit it gets easier. And understanding your behavior (AKA LOGGING) is the first part.
  • daftthoughts
    Options
    I would eat less calories a day. A woman needs about 2000 calories a day.
    I prefer to get around 1200 every day, but it depends every day. 1200 to 1700.
    also, in your food diary i saw Sanittarium - Up & Go Energize, 250 ml , i don't know what that is but, please don't drink your calories. Water is best for you! lots of it :)

Statements like these are very damaging. My BMR is 2000 calories, my TDEE at completely sedentary level is 2500 and if I exercise 3x a week my TDEE goes up to 3000 calories. 2000 is the average of all women combined, but depending on activity level, height and weight it can go from 1500 to 3000 with ease. So please be careful with making such factual-sounding claims. Not all women are the same, consider their circumstances and physique before you make such a suggestion. If you'd have advised me I would be in serious trouble with those numbers.
  • lilacinfinity
    Options
    OK the consensus seems to be that 2100 (with negative adjustments when necessary) is too high so I'll lower it.
    That kinds scares me because other calcs give me in the high 2000s and then you have the "undereating" issue.

Well I have the MFP calc set to lightly active so I'll put it down to sedentary and see how it goes, even though I really, really don't think I'm sedentary.

OH, someone asked what i do/carry
    They're large bales of fabric and boxes of things, anywhere from 15-30kg each (the smallest bales we get are about 13.5kg but most are bigger) Then I'm cutting that out for people, walking up and down a big run of it and folding it, unrolling it, heaving it back to unroll more... packing the cut stuff up in boxes and so on. Lots of upper body and steps a couple at a time that the fitbit doesn't pick up and seems to think I'm just sitting (I compared the fitbit to a pedometer on my phone one day and the difference was over double BUT the phone app drains my battery too much so I've stuck with the fitbit knowing its limitations) Does that make sense?
  • lilacinfinity
    Options
    Why do you struggle so much to consistently log food?

I get up for work at 4 and by the time I get home, it's dinner shower clean and bed before doing it all over again on 6 hours sleep.
    Sometimes I'll have had the same as the day before to eat, so it has seemed unnecessary at the time, when I know what I've had.
  • tasha_1306
    tasha_1306 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound bad but how do you expect to lose weight when you eat: McDonalds, Chocolate (quite often), 4 slices of bread in a day, Fried Noodles. Have you ever heard the saying 'you can't out exercise a bad diet'.

You need to be eating more vegetables, fruits, meat and whole grains. I think your diet, the non consistent logging and the too high calorie diet might be the problem. I eat 1500 calories a day and i think the most a women should eat is 1700. To me anything above that seems too much.
  • lilacinfinity
    Options
    If you're consistently gaining weight on what you're eating now, then you don't have a deficit. It doesn't matter what all the TDEE estimators and gadgets in the world say, your body has the final word and it's clearly telling you that you're eating too much for your current level of activity. It sucks not to have your body align perfectly with the computer estimates, sure. But since you're gaining you'll have to create a deficit by lowering your caloric intake or raising your calorie expenditure.

Which brings me back to logging. :) You can't lower your calories if you don't have starting point to lower them from. That's where logging comes in. If your estimated 2100 calories a day is making you gain, then first make sure you're really eating that amount and then lower it by 20 percent. I'd hate for you to lower your calories to 1680 if you're really eating 2500 and only need to drop it down to 2000. Make sense?

It is so very confusing!
    I've had lower goals in the past and still gained on them. I stuck to 1600 a year or two back and after losing 2 kg in the first month gained 8 over the next 4. I weighed and logged everything. OK it was plus exercise but even the overestimation of exercise that MFP is known for wouldn't have amounted to an extra 1000 calories a day to go from a lb loss to a lb gain, right?! Then I gave up for a while because I had turned into a total control freak over it, and a typical day would have been close to 3000 calories and I maintained it, then I tried to lose it again, gained more.

I wish I'd just stayed at 72kg way back then and never started some days!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I know this might sound bad but how do you expect to lose weight when you eat: McDonalds, Chocolate (quite often), 4 slices of bread in a day, Fried Noodles. Have you ever heard the saying 'you can't out exercise a bad diet'.

You need to be eating more vegetables, fruits, meat and whole grains. I think your diet, the non consistent logging and the too high calorie diet might be the problem. I eat 1500 calories a day and i think the most a women should eat is 1700. To me anything above that seems too much.

I eat fast food and ice cream almost every day.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    2100 seems awfully high!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Good information is here and has been posted ad nauseum, and yet it's still a game of "hey guize pick my TDEE out of a hat" and "it's so hard."
  • tasha_1306
    tasha_1306 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Even if you lose weight while doing that i still don't think it's good for you to be eating that stuff. You might lose weight but your probably doing damage to your body in the long term.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Even if you lose weight while doing that i still don't think it's good for you to be eating that stuff. You might lose weight but your probably doing damage to your body in the long term.

You're wrong. Let's not turn this into a clean vs dirty food thread.