i have absolutely no will power..

1234568»

Replies

• you have a sugar addiction. The more you eat the more you crave. Start small, no processed cake , then move to whole grain bread. I would not tell you to eat fruit. you need to detox. The more you move away, the more control you will have. No soda either its water or nothing. Its not will power is a choice. Choose wisely my friend.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Till you actually start to value yourself as important, nothing will change. The eating, the sadness the disconcern are symptoms of the real problem. Define and correct it.

Reading that, it sounds more like you might be depressed, rather than just your average lack-of-willpower post. It sounds like you're suffering from a general lack of motivation in many areas of your personal life, and food is just a part of it. Many people think depression means you are sad, but that's not necessarily true. This is a great explanation of it (in the form of a sarcastic comic strip):

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

Firstly, I love this comic, for a million reasons that this isn't the right place to discuss. Thanks.

So....I, too, feel like this is beyond a will-power issue. And three things came to mind while reading your post:

1) You are absolutely worth doing it for. I'm so proud of you for reaching out in this way. I hope you try to glean from these responses what you can really use, because a lot of people really responded to you very positively and clearly also feel that you are worth it.

2) I think it would be a good idea to talk to someone (a counselor, a doctor, a trusted friend who is maybe in a position to help you take action you might not prompt in yourself in your current state) about the hopelessness and powerlessness you feel. It all sounds like classic signs of depression to me. In addition, getting healthy is certainly a good way of beginning to recover from, dealing with, or lessening depression. Regardless of whether it's that or something else, it must be identified and dealt with, and I think you would benefit from some help and guidance getting started in the right direction again.

3) As you do start making changes (the small, everyday changes that begin to build a new, healthy lifestyle), I really don't believe it's that much about this mysterious thing "willpower" after all. I think it's about setting yourself up for success.

Do something for yourself and your health every day.
    Keep your plan simple at first - and maybe forever. Eat at a deficit, move more.
    Don't deprive yourself....fuel your body, enjoy food...just operate within some framework as you do.
    Don't try to "break" bad habits; replace them or moderate them with good ones.
    Don't beat yourself up - just keep trying.
    Have a friend (or friends), IRL or here, that you can draw support from - and give support to.
    Don't expect perfection every day; just implement new healthy things that bring you closer to what you want in your life.
    Build on your successes and remember every day is new.

Thinking of you....take care. Friend me if you'd like. :)
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Quote: "i'm just very terrified of it, because a nurse told me it's dangerous to take, and has killed people..."

Adipex has also helped a lot of people. Yes if you have heart problems and high BP then it is probably not a good idea, but your physician can determine if that medication is suitable for you. I'm not a physician so I cannot determine what the exact risk would be in your case. All I can say , it has helped me a lot , but everyone is different and the decision is certainly very personal and depends on what you feel comfortable with.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    make a plan to change one thing a week i.e. this week I will eat a healthy breakfast every day, the following week might be I will eat the healthy breakfast and I won't eat any candy until midday. the following week might be I will eat a healthy breakfast and I won't eat any candy until midday and I will stop eating candy at 6 pm ... if one week is too much then give it 2 for each thing, also pick whatever it is that you think you can improve first, I only picked the examples randomly. It is the progress that counts, a snail also gets where it needs to go, this is not a race.

If you mess up, don't worry, just start again :-)
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Till you actually start to value yourself as important, nothing will change. The eating, the sadness the disconcern are symptoms of the real problem. Define and correct it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

absolutely the truth. that's what changed for me. I finally realized I am worth it.
  • AtlantisLoss
    AtlantisLoss Posts: 32 Member
    I don't know if someone has suggested this yet (because i haven't read all the posts).

From the start of this year until about three weeks ago I had no motivation or will power.

I didn't exercise or eat healthy, not even for my sisters wedding. ~~~~~~~ I just simply let myself go. ~~~~~~~~

What helped kick-start me was a good fitness buddy.
    A person who I admired who was committed to their routine.
    That persistence, dedication, effort inspired me to start.......AND keep going!

And i'm sure YOU can also find the support and encouragement you need. MFP is full of these inspiring people!
    A big thanks to all of them :smile: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • DancingGyurl
    DancingGyurl Posts: 16 Member
    bump
  • Halasana
    Halasana Posts: 8 Member
    Bump also. Loved reading the posts. Where is the original poster?