What foods/drinks/habits have you given up for your 'diet'?

Options

Replies

• SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Given up? Nothing I didn't already dislike.

Cut back on? A LOT. I'm lazy as Hell and would rather eat less of what I love than exercise to earn it. I've cut back on bread, rice, pasta and alcohol but I do still have each of those things occasionally. Just had some wine with dinner.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    Containers of ice cream, now I buy ice cream bars, popsicles or I go buy a small ice cream at mcdonalds(only 150 cals)
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Cocktails.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I have not given up anything, I see this as a life style change were I learn to eat the things I enjoy in moderation. This is not a diet for me but a life time journey :)
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Cheese (specifically full fat hard cheeses like Cheddar). I was totally hooked on the stuff. Then I had to take antibiotics and somehow they made cheese taste really strange, so I didn't eat it for a few days and decided to take the opportunity and ditch it completely. Been off for a few weeks now (except for a few slices of pizza and stuff like cottage cheese) and don't miss it, yet.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    No heavy eating after 8pm.

I'm always curious about this particular choice. I have heard a lot of people say that it's bad for you to eat after ___, in connection with health or weight loss. However, I've never seen any actual scientific information to back that claim. Is there any?

I understand that some people might choose not to because they don't like the feeling of going to bed full. Or because they get cold if they eat before bed. Or because they are like my friend who always has nightmares if she eats (specifically) dairy before bed, the reason for which I have no idea. Or because they don't want to mindlessly eat while watching TV in the evening. I saw something once saying that if you cut off your food intake well before bedtime and then count sleep time, it means more hours of the day when you can avoid food - which is obviously unnecessary if you're making healthy choices in the first place. Food is my friend - I don't want to avoid it. lol

I don't know the reasoning for making a distinction and certainly it's each individual's choice and probably not harmful, so whatever. Just I'm just always curious about what people are thinking when this comes up.

As for me, I tend to make sure I have more calories available for later in the day, just because that's when I know I'll want them the most and when unexpected things with friends are more likely to come up for me. So I would eat pretty much anything that fit my day, my calories, to some extent my macros (usually with the exception of sodium), my overall goals, and my tastes. There isn't really a distinction for me there regarding the time of day.

There is no reason to not eat in the evenings unless you're fasting the following day or as part of any other fasting regime.
    If you're on a daily calorie restriction, meal timing does NOT matter.

Not eating after a certain time is a great way to cut down on snacking, and the distracted eating that some people do in front of the computer or a TV. I don't eat after I brush my teeth after dinner.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything, because I see no need to.
  • Beaniejumper323
    Options
    I have been dieting/exercising since August 10th and I have given up:

Soda
    Sugar
    White Bread

That is it, but I also control all my portions now and I am not a couch potato anymore...I do Water Aerobics and Pilates every other day and also walk 3 miles a night. I love my new lifestyle and I look forward to what I look like in a year! I have given myself a year to shed 100 pounds!! :)
  • lsigall
    lsigall Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've had to give up:

Alcohol (not a big issue, as I was never much of a drinker anyway)
    Soda ( a bit harder)
    Coffee (this was a killer!)

But that is because I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's, and those things trigger me. Fortunately, if I avoid those I can eat most things, even raw fruit, vegetables, and whole grains!
  • chickenchaser78
    chickenchaser78 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Habits - Don't do the daily diet soda thing anymore. Working on not doing the daily coffee thing. I won't drink coffee without creamer or sugar so that is why I want it to be an occasional treat (plus the withdraw headaches suck).

Working on planning my diet better so I'm not lazy and grab fast food while I'm out. That was a bad habit I had to give up. Being 100% accountable and logging everything. I can be not so great at that so its another bad habit I'm working on ditching.

I'm with everyone else in that I'm a moderation girl. If I have enough calories for it I'm going to have that ice cream at the end of the day LOL. If I have ate well all day long I don't see the problem with that. I also generally know my binge foods (cake/cupcakes/cookie dough) so I try to keep them out of the house to begin with. I don't give them up...just manage them better.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Habit i have given up - when theres free food in the kitchen at work (and it is yummy but it wont fit my MFP numbers) i had to stop answering the call and just ignore it and eat the food i brought with me to work to eat. That was challenging at first.

drinks - coke for the most part, though I will have it once in a while, but it does not have the same addiction as it once had, took a few weeks to get over it.

I limit some fattening food because I would tend to overeat if i ate it, but im slowly putting those back as i see fit.
  • NicoleCooney92
    NicoleCooney92 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Potato chips and McDonald's french fries. These are trigger foods for me. Like the commercial says "I bet you can't eat just one". And it's true, I can't. I CAN however, eat just about anything else in moderation.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    There was much kicking and screaming about it but I have had to stop buying beer and cider. Not only do they have a lot of calories but the high carb content made me incredibly hungry, and hungry+tipsy+fridge is a bad combination...

I still drink them when I go out, but for private consumption I've switched to brandy (I don't like wine). You need to measure it carefully, but the munchies are way more manageable.
  • spiritofheather
    Options
    I actually gained weight when I quit my Waist Watchers Diet Soda. I wanted flavored drinks so I ended up drinking juice. This led to drinking many calories and consuming huge amounts of sugar. In the process of quitting the soda I did start drinking water, which I had never done before. I even would say I used to hate it. But now I enjoy it.

I did however re-add in the diet soda and when I did that I began to lose weight slowly over the course of the last 8 months over 40 pounds.
    Granted I know that it's not the best for me but I need to pick my battles and how to work things out in a reasonable fashion. Denying myself everything I loved only led to binge eating and severe depression.

I have cut out foods like Ramen noodle ( I used to love, recently had some for old times sake and thought it was nasty), I plan my food before I go out to restaurants, even fast food places I know what I like and is better then what I could have.

I think saying no to anything forever is not the best option for me. Giving myself the choice is key.... it's just building the skills to tell myself. "no I don't need that right now"
    It's a slow process :)
  • LFG95
    LFG95 Posts: 13
    Options
    Since moving to Mexico, I've basically cut off all fast-food and GMO(I think it might be illegal) food. Feeling great and dropping weight, what more could I ask for?
  • psulioness11
    Options
    So far, I've given up potato chips and those kind of junk food. They're still in the closet, so if I have a huge craving, I just have a handful of it and it usually satisfies me. Soda and fruit juices (except for Orange Juice) is another thing I'm working on, but my roommates are big soda drinkers, so it's hard to stay away from them.

Most everything else, I eat in moderation. I'm also working on drinking more water. I use these Crystal Light flavoring liquid things and it makes me drink enough water. I know it's not always good for me, as the sucralose isn't good, but I'm slowly weaning myself off from using them.
  • feliperss
    feliperss Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ordering pizza :( There's no such thing as moderation when you have one all to yourself unfortunately. I've had pizza once this summer, twice if you count a home made slice with mostly veggies on it. I used to order one every week AT LEAST. With garlic sauce on the side.. and regular soda. Oh god, all the calories.

Nah but I guess I'm gonna have to say that for the most part I've not cut out anything, just tried to eat the "bad" things in smaller amounts and less frequently.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    you can have anything you want to
    you do not have to give up one thing.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    alcohol
  • MrClover
    MrClover Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Before I started losing weight, I decided one day after Christmas that I wasn't going to have soda that day. The next day I decided to try it again. This Christmas will mark three years of "soda sobriety." I still get cravings during the summer, but for the most part it isn't an issue anymore. Any sugar I eat I try to keep it to as few ingredients as possible in the item (ie dark chocolate).