How do you avoid evening snacking?

Options

Replies

• Chellebear01
    Chellebear01 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't. I try to either plan it into my foods or simply have a small snack. It won't derail me unless I allow it to.
  • JaneAero
    JaneAero Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    From dinnertime onwards I drink constant cups of tea, maybe on every half hour until bedtime, plus I chew chewing gum for around 4 hours straight and if I must have food, i have a mug of hot chocolate or a couple slices of toast
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just plan an evening snack into my diet.

Pretty much this. Usually I have ice cream, and it tops off my day nicely. After that I have zero want to eat anything more.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid it. I embrace it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to snack in the evening, so I just plan for it. Solves the problem. Doesn't seem to hinder my progress.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I just don't. I go to bed and think of my yummy Quest bar waiting for me to eat before I workout first thing!
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just plan an evening snack into my diet.

^^^^ This :-)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I set aside calories for an evening snack because I get hungry before bed.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If I don't feel hungry in the morning, I skip breakfast so I can eat late in the evening.
  • madaleingericke
    madaleingericke Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Chew some sugar-free gum.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have a new favorite go-to snack that works great if you are a quantity person or mindless muncher like me. Take 1 can drained tuna in water and mix with 2-4 tbsp of your favorite salsa. Mine is the roasted garlic from Trader Joes. And serve with whole wheat crackers to pile tuna on top of. I like whole wheat saltines. I usually have about 8 and then eat the rest of the tuna with a fork. The whole snack comes out to about 160 calories. You can also add in some more veggies to chunk it up a bit if you like. But I love this snack! Its not tasteless, no carb heavy and the heavy dose of protein will help you curb appetitie if you have it later in the evening. Protein helps you sleep!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I don't. I have a snack around 8pm every night. Yesterday I had 2. I plan it with in my daily calories...
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I try to keep as busy & eat as lightly as I can (without being hungry) during the day & save some calories for evening. I'm T2D so the earlier I get dinner over & done with, the better my FBG is. To this end, I make sure to eat by 6pm and have lots of calories leftover from the day to enjoy a full fatty-fat meal that will keep my satiated until bedtime, usually btw 9:30 and 10pm..
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm a real creature of habit. When starting the MFP I never left any calories for night. And that was a major problem. I got a seriously bad case of the hangries!!!!

I watch TV or a movie with my boyfriend at night. And for years we have sat and had a munch during this. ( The reason we both put on so much ) So sitting there with no calories left for even a cup of TEA was killing me.

I now skip breakfast, have a little lunch at work ( if what they serve is edible that day ) I then have my dinner at about 9pm and a snack at about midnight.

Its made this calorie counting thing so easy I feel like Im no longer deprived at all. Things feel normal.
  • suerop
    suerop Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some space in your food diary for a snack. I find that if I have something with a little zing for my taste buds later, like a nice garlic pickle, it helps. Just watch your sodium intake. Also, try munching on raw veggies. they offer the crunch and chewing I crave, but the calories don't add up as quickly. I hate getting the munchies, too! Good luck! Stay strong! Ask yourself over and over, "What's more important?"
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I use to snack late, I noticed that if I ate at 6pm by 10 or 11pm I was snacking again. How late do you eat, and how late do you go to bed. If you have 4 hours inbetween, then sure, you will be hungry again. Plan your calories around a snack, and don't fret it. I go to bed by 10pm, now, so I'm not hungry again. If I do feel hungry, I just go to bed so it won't bother me. LOL.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    If I really want a snack I just plan it into my day. Normally a cup of coffee is my evening treat.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I live with my bf and he really likes to have dessert or a snack in the evening. If I see him eating I usually want a snack also. We have Kemps frozen yogurt on hand at all times, it's anywhere from 80-120 cals per half cup serving. If he is having something like cheese and crackers I will grab a couple slices, but make sure I keep track of what I'm eating. If you really want to avoid the snacking, I recommend aquafresh white trays. You keep them in for 45 mins while they whiten your teeth so you actually cannot eat during that time.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I have the exact same problem, I noticed that when I lost most of the weight was when I worked out at night. If I work out at night than by the time I am done I am not hungry for a snack. I also incorporate a protein shake in my diary which is something that I have after working. Drink my shake take a shower and than off to bed.

When I work out in the morning than I am starving at night and tend to snack more
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I save 200-250 cals for after supper. I have found a huge help is maple flavored microwave oatmeal (quaker) - can find it for 160-170 cals. No milk or anything. I put less water in so I get it super sweet. And, you can eat oatmeal really slowly, becasue its hot. I also will have things like a wedge of cow cheese (35 cals), cheese string (60 cals), hummas and pita chips or baked naan (about 200 cals). I need to night eat becasue that is when I am undisciplined and need to have cals for a snack.