Flu Shots? thoughts

Options

Replies

• FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I never do cuz I am a rebel, I have also never gotten the flu so my immune system is also a rebel. =D
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have them and thanks for reminding me :) off to get one tomoz
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    People who are immunocompromised shouldnt be running around with normal people in the first place. It is one of the precautions medical professionals tell them.

Because people who are immunocompromised don't have bills to pay, especially medical bills.

If they are immunocompromised, the flu is really the least of their worries.

They are not supposed to be around normal people in crowded areas or be in too much contact, bottom line. You dont see chemo patients running around

Really? I will be sure to call work and tell them I can no longer come in because I am not "normal" and should not be around the general population. I have asthma, compromises my immune system. Funny though, my Dr. seems to think I should live a normal life. BTW my wife has a severely compromised immune system. I got the flu shot as did she but still ended up with her hospitalized because someone at work got the flu and I ended up taking shed virus home to her on my clothing.
    You are saying your asthma is compromising your immune system? Ok lol
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    No flu shots for anyone in my family! Haven't gotten the shot since I was 18, and I've only had the flu twice. Kids hardly ever get sick...so no need!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I get the shot because I have asthma and an auto immune disorder and I work in healthcare. My daughter got it due to asthma when she was young enough for me to make her. I am pretty sure she didn't at college last year. My husband and sons don't because they have excellent immune systems.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    People who are immunocompromised shouldnt be running around with normal people in the first place. It is one of the precautions medical professionals tell them.

Because people who are immunocompromised don't have bills to pay, especially medical bills.

They are not supposed to be around normal people in crowded areas or be in too much contact, bottom line. You dont see chemo patients running around

Really? I will be sure to call work and tell them I can no longer come in because I am not "normal" and should not be around the general population. I have asthma, compromises my immune system. Funny though, my Dr. seems to think I should live a normal life. BTW my wife has a severely compromised immune system. I got the flu shot as did she but still ended up with her hospitalized because someone at work got the flu and I ended up taking shed virus home to her on my clothing.

Obviously you know nothing about asthma. Front line asthma drugs, cortocosteroids, are immune suppressants.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

To my knowledge, asthma itself isn't but asthma is an autoimmune disorder. The primary way to fight asthma is to suppress immune response.
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i have not had the flu since getting my yearly flu shot will be getting one as soon as they come out again this year
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Flu shots only guard against the particular strains of the flu that companies and scientists anticipate to be rampant for that particular season. That being said, I've had the flu shot twice...and both times I ended up with the flu. I don't believe I got the flu because of the shot, but because the strain I contracted was not vaccinated against.

I work with the public and now that I have insurance I will DEF be getting the shot this year.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I don't that sh@t hurts! lol needles make me squeamish
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My mom usually gets a flu shot every year. I have never gotten a flu shot. We still both probably get the flu once a year.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Someone in this very long thread suggested the shot is only for one strain of flu. This year's vaccine covers four strains, according to the info we got at the hospital last week.
  • uneik3
    uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital giving flu shots to staff and patients. If you're at risk, old young, immunocompromised, work around those who are, etc., get it. Yes, even to patients getting chemo... especially chemo patients, but only the shot, which is a dead virus. If you don't have those risk factors, then it's your call. I always get it but my husband, who's at a low risk, only does if we're planning lots of travel, or if he feels like it, or if he gets around to it.

But if you do get it, get it in your dominant arm and make a point to move it around a lot. It keeps it from becoming sore. Trust me, that makes all the difference between being sore for 3 days and not feeling anything a few hours later.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

Obviously you know nothing about asthma. Front line asthma drugs, cortocosteroids, are immune suppressants.

^yep.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options

This is quite ignorant. What about people with autoimmune diseases who are taking immuno-suppressants? They may not be severely immuno-compromised, but still at risk. Many are active people who work, go to the gym, etc. There are also people who have had transplants, are doing very well and living normal lives, but must take immuno-suppressive medications to help prevent rejection. I could go on...

eta: apologies to lithezebra. I posted before I saw that you had already addressed this (quite well, too). :flowerforyou:
    For them to avoid crowded areas and using caution with contact is the most basic of teaching of people who are immunossed status. If they go to the gym depending on tgeir degree they have to wear full gloves. It will vary to the degree but people who are in nadir stage of chemo have an extremely low wbc.

You are 100% incorrect. There are varying degrees of immuno-suppression and there are LOTS of illnesses that are treated with immunosuppresive medications These patients are NOT advised to stay out of contact with people. Not everyone taking "chemo" has cancer or is severely immunosuppressed. Not everyone who is immunocompromised has "extremely" low wbc. You are really digging a big hole here because it is clear you are ignorant of a huge range of treatments for various illnesses that involve some degree of immunosupression, and not all require the kind of risk management you are describing.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I get the flu shot. I haven't had any problems.

Edit: I clean six bathrooms a morning..I am not going to take my chances.
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have not had the flue for 15 yrs if I got the shot I would more then likely get it for some reason.A small dose is injected of the virus so no thanks for me."WASH YOUR HANDS YOU WONT GET SICK EVER"
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Nope. Never have and don't particularily plan on it. Ever.

I don't even think I've ever had the flu, other than perhaps when I was really young.

I don't see the point in getting a shot against one strain of flu when there is already so many other strains out there/viruses mutate unexpectedly.

I guess my only reasons for considering getting it would be so I don't become a carrier of the flu if I'm around children/elderly/individuals with weak immune systems, but (call me heartless) it's not my job to make sure they don't get sick, so I really don't care much about them. If I worked around those sorts of people, that would be a different matter - but I still wouldn't want to get one.

OK
    You're heartless (and selfish)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    What amuses me about this thread is that pro-flu shot pushers espouse just as much misinformation as anti-flu shot pushers.

*shaking my head*

The flu shot will not stop you from getting the flu. It increases your immunity so if you DO get the flu your symptoms will not last as long.

Last I checked the flu shot is not what Jenny McCarthy is fighting against. It's vaccinations (which are often viewed as separate from the flu shot - now I could be wrong on this. It's been awhile since I gave a **** what celebrities were doing what).

I've never had a flu shot in my life and in 31 years had the flu two times. My body healed itself pretty darn quick each time (the one bout lasted a week, the other two weeks). I've had people argue it wasn't the flu because I wasn't miserable enough but clearly my immunity is perfectly fine without the assistance of the shot (at this point).

However, my experienced doesn't mean jack ****. If you think the shot helps you, by all means! Go for it! But don't think it makes you immune to every flu strain out there, it simply doesn't. You're still at risk. So take precautions as usual and don't treat non-shot takers as disease spreaders. 31 years. 2 flu bouts. Whereas people on this page have admitted to getting the shot and getting the flu every year they got the shot. Who's the disease spreader here?

And that's all I'll say about that.

Now everyone grab a beer and let's try to be civil and rational shall we?
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm might get her drunk and take her to the clinic this year.

I've got a pretty solid immune system and I'm not around people who are immunocompromised so I don't really see the need at this time. I've heard arguments for herd immunity but I don't see how it would work with something that changes and evolves every season. To me it's kind of like buying a brand new Iphone when the next generation is coming out in 3 months.

How do you know you're not around anyone who is immunocompromised? We don't have big signs on our heads--we look like everyone else and we go places where everyone else does--grocery store, post office, gym. All it takes is one person shedding virus (and you shed before you have full blown symptoms) to infect us and make us seriously ill.

And I find that most people who say they got the flu when the got the vaccine didn't really get influenza--they got some GI bug that caused vomiting. Real influenza rarely causes vomiting. There is no such thing as "stomach flu!"

I DID have influenza. And I know this because apparently (10 years ago) they had a test for it where they shoved a very long qtip up a short nasal cavity (probably the most painful part of the ordeal). And I didn't vomit, not once. It was more upper respiratory.

And no, IC's don't have signs on their heads indicating it. But then again, maybe I've only encountered the less subtle variety who inform you within 10 seconds of meeting them that they are IC.