Calories after puking?

Options
12346»

Replies

• adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The most important thing when you're sick is to stay hydrated and eat foods (if you CAN eat) that are going to settle your stomach rather than upset it.

Try the following:
    Gatorade, PediaLyte or PediaLyte Popsicles (better than water if you have been throwing up)
    Clear broth (like chicken broth)
    Saltines or other very plain crackers
    Jell-O

If you can't keep ANYTHING down (including liquids) for more than a half a day or so, you may need to go to the hospital to get IV fluids so you don't get too dehydrated. Or, they may give you some anti-nausea meds so you can at least stay hydrated. Although it sounds like for you this was maybe just a one-time thing.

Don't worry about calories. It is going to be pretty impossible to calculate. If your body is rejecting food, you're probably not going to be able to reach your calorie goal, especially if you are eating things like broth, Saltines, and Jell-O, lol!
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    To answer your question food begins to be digested immediately upon entering the mouth, and vomiting does not expel all of the stomach contents. When the stomach suddenly contracts to vomit, around 50% of its contents are pushed further down into the intestine where they will be digested and absorbed.

However, I don't worry about calorie intake when I am sick. Therefore, I would suggest that you also not focus on counting calories as well but instead resting and getting plenty of fluids. Then, when you are feeling better just start logging your calorie intake again.

Surely this can't be true in every case, can it? If you're getting 50% of what you eat, then why do people get so dangerously malnourished/dehydrated when sick for an extended period of time? I was sick over the weekend and throwing up bile (sorry if TMI) and, although I couldn't keep anything down, I was sooooo thirsty and hungry. Definitely did not feel like I had eaten 50% of my meal.

I would definitely agree though that you can't possible count calories when you're sick!
  • 1234suroor
    Options
    Whenever you are sick, forget calories and focus on the nutrients. I would even go so far as saying that don't have the soup if you don't feel like it. Eat if you want to, don't if you don't want to. Take it easy on yourself. One day of going below your caloric requirement will not lead you into starvation, nor will one day of having food over your caloric requirements lead you to weight gain.

Please prioritize your PHYSICAL and PSYCHOLOGICAL health at this time.... by staying away from logging or investing your energy into answering/ignoring/blocking people on this forum.

If you still need an answer your question of logging, think of yourself as your own physician or dietitian....or just someone who loves you and cares for you. Would they want you to be logging your calories in/out deficits and arguing with people on the internet while you are sick? If not then do just that...

Loving ourselves is the first step to a healthy lifestyle and that is why I believe that people may have thought that you had an ED.. because at first glance... it seemed that you were being too harsh on yourself even if you had just posted that question out of curiosity. Take Care! :)
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Like most people have said, don't worry about calories when you're sick. Rest, take in what you can, and get better. Calories don't matter.

The post about an unhealthy relationship with food and the agreements were just trying to say that after throwing up, if you're concerned with your caloric intake, that's not a healthy way to look at things. When you get sick, you need to just let it go and worry about your calories when you're better. One day (or even a few days) of somewhat below or above average caloric intake isn't going to kill you.

No one actually mentioned an eating disorder until you did. They were just saying that it's not healthy to be so focused on calories that you're thinking about reaching a goal when you're sick. Either way, they were just expressing concern for you, not trying to berate you.

You're probably going to add me to your ignore list, but I really do just wish you good luck, and I hope you get well soon! Being sick sucks.
  • craftydoglover
    Options
    bananas are supposed to be good if you start feeling sickly or have nausea
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    If you are that concerned over how many calories you should count after puking, you may want to examine your relationship with food and weight loss.

This. That is like a EDONS in the making. :( This mindset is not healthy darling.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    To answer your question food begins to be digested immediately upon entering the mouth, and vomiting does not expel all of the stomach contents. When the stomach suddenly contracts to vomit, around 50% of its contents are pushed further down into the intestine where they will be digested and absorbed.

However, I don't worry about calorie intake when I am sick. Therefore, I would suggest that you also not focus on counting calories as well but instead resting and getting plenty of fluids. Then, when you are feeling better just start logging your calorie intake again.

Surely this can't be true in every case, can it? If you're getting 50% of what you eat, then why do people get so dangerously malnourished/dehydrated when sick for an extended period of time? I was sick over the weekend and throwing up bile (sorry if TMI) and, although I couldn't keep anything down, I was sooooo thirsty and hungry. Definitely did not feel like I had eaten 50% of my meal.

I would definitely agree though that you can't possible count calories when you're sick!

digestion versus absorption. yes, digestion begins in the mouth as we chew and swallow. it continues in the stomach. but absorption begins in the small intestine. so, in theory, if she purged her entire meal...she would not be retaining 50% of the calories. Often times, however, food consumed isn't contained in the stomach, but has pushed through to the small intestine. Time of eating and vomiting, quantity of food and type of food all affect this.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Totally forgot about this thread....needed that chuckle today.
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Not to be gross, but sometimes I throw up even when I'm not actually ill. (One of those fun body things -- I've had a sensitive stomach all my life due to a combination of allergies and reflux.) It happened this morning, I think because I drank a cup of tea quickly right after taking my multivitamin and my emptyish stomach didn't like the warm water.

I ate a couple nuts to make up the nutrition I lost and decided not to worry about the calories.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Go to bed and count sheep, not calories.

Oh and drink plenty of fluids.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Why the heck is this thread back. Seriously what was the person searching for or thinking when they looked for a vomit thread.

It is back not because i was searching for a vomit thread, but because i posted here earlier and like to check the threads i post on. sorry!
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Well, look at you mean people! I am so fortunate to have some of you as friends. This thread has so much butt-hurt that it is ridiculous.

OP, there is a lot of joking around on MFP. Don't take it so serious. I really think you're too sensitive. I mean, you did get your question answered.