Why are so many people against juicing?

Options

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    So, I just showed up at this site, a couple of days ago.... it might be a bit early for me to wade into something, but here goes. I started exhibiting some physical symptoms that freaked me out, and I tended to 'assume' were associated with being overweight, and unhealthy. I'd just seen Fat Sick and Nearly Dead recently, and I went out and bought a juicer and a whopping amount of fruit and veggies. After a few days, I had it down to a science... making juices I liked, and did straight juice for about 10 days. Then, I switched it up, to juices and salads. After losing 30 lbs ( in about 4 months ) I went and saw a dietician, to work on a more sustainable ( for the immediate future, anyhow... ) diet plan... trying to stick with as much raw veggies as possible, and mostly the basic vegetarian stuff to round it out.

Ya, I lost muscle... but I feel alot better than I did 4 months ago... and my plan is to try to dump the last 10 or more pounds I need to get rid of, and get back to the gym, and hopefully build a little bit of muscle back up. I don't think there's any one-size-fits-all diet plan... and what works for me, won't necessarily work for you.

If Joe Cross is to be believed... he was a successful businessman before he started the documentary... and unless he perpetrated a fairly complex ruse.... he wasn't hurting for cash, and didn't need whatever extra income his Fat Sick and Nearly Dead venture is bringing in. Phil, the truck driver, lost about 200 lbs drinking juice.... and all his tests showed he was getting much healthier. Joe says that Phil has gained back something like 80 lbs of that, and tends to struggle trying to 'maintain.'
    I've briefly perused Joe Cross' website... and it does appear he flogs products, and services.... That's life these days... he now has a 'product....' and people want to buy it.

As for the OP, and the title of this thread.... If the title had been... 'Let's talk about juicing ?' would the responses have been any different?

I'm working on settling into a healthy lifestyle that I can maintain. Juicing helped get me here, and is still part of my daily routine. IMHO, whatever works for you, that's great. For you. Whatever works for me, that's great. For me.

:glasses:

Oh ya... my dietician was the one who showed me this site. :laugh:
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    Because its a gimmick. If you look at the most successful people on this site (or anywhere really) - the ones setting PRs, the ones who have taken the weight off and kept it off, the ones who look amazing - they don't do crazy things like put all their food in a blender before eating it. They don't insist their bodies are unclean and full of mysterious toxins that must be purged. They track their food, exercise, and they don't make it so damn complicated.

I don't judge success by how thin or bulked up a person is. In real life I meet with trainers and incredibly fit people every week (I work part time at a fitness store) and they ALL say their health is related to how they fuel their body.

My body isn't full of mysterious toxins, but our chemical laden food supply sure is.

I love juicing.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If I could afford juicing, and could find a way to make the vegetable juices taste anywhere near palatable, I'd juice as a veggie supplement. But I can't see it as a sustainable way to eat. I don't think anyone is really against it as another food choice, but people are against it being made out to be more than it is as or being promoted as a viable way to get a full day's needs in.
  • tiffany5839
    tiffany5839 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I LOVE juicing! I don't do it to lose weight and I add it to my regular diet. I don't replace meals with it or anything.

Just try to get more nutrients and veggie servings in cause it would be really hard for me to eat 4 bunches of kale, 2 carrots, 2 celery ribs, a red pepper, parsley, garlic, and a cucumer in one day! That would make me want to puke puke! I eat whole fruits and veggies also, just not 8 servings a day, that's why I juice. I could not fit all that in a blender either (would probably make up 10 cups blended) with out gaging!

Oh yeah and did I mention since I started juicing I have a better well being, energy, no migraines anymore, and better skin! I will do it for those reasons alone!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Here is my take: most diets work (unless it's pure scam). But, it's not sustainable in the long run, which causes people to gain back the weight they lost. I have little doubt that juicing can work, because it somewhat limits the amount of calories you ingest. Even those overpriced MLM stuff work, but the question is what happens when you stop paying for them?

If you think you can juice for the rest of your life and not feel like you miss solid food, then more power to you. But if you plan to juice just for a while and eventually return to eating normal food, then you might gain all the weight back because you have never learned to eat normal food in moderation.

I think most people at MFP just want to be helpful and save you the agony of yo-yo dieting.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Well, I have to disagree with the majority on here. I juiced 100% for the first time for two weeks. For 2 1/2 years, especially right hand joints (my knuckles) held inflammation, never went away. Rheumatologist told me the only way I could get rid of the fluid is to have surgery on my hands. I didn't want it and he told me it was not worth it and to live with it. About the 7th day juicing, I even ask my 75 yo mother to look at my hand. I did not tell her what to look at. She replied, "Your joint swelling is gone!" Exactly! Then, about the 10th day, while I was rolling from side to side in my bed, I had to do it a couple of times. Why? The sciatic pain that I had constant for over 2 years from ruptured disk,did not go away when my disk healed naturally in about 9 months, was gone.

Also, I have been consistent with exercising and eating cleaner since January. I had not lost any lbs via the scales since March. The juice fasting jumped start my weight loss again and helped me to achieve being at 199 lbs, which I have never been in my adult life and I am almost 53, then, I will take from you being crazy. I enjoy juicing so much that I juice 2x a day and eat a sensible meal. I don't feel sluggish or deprived because I am not one to go feeling deprived. When I am tired of it, I will stop!

I'm glad you are feeling better! I am wondering, however, if while you were doing the just fast, you also eliminated sodium? Because that would greatly decrease water weight/swelling as well.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    For most people it is not sustainable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I juice some to supplement my veg intake and because it tastes good...I do not juice to supplement an actual meal nor do I believe in "cleansing" with juices or "detoxing" or whatever. I lost my 40 lbs and have been maintaining for 5 months eating food..actual meals and snacks and what not, the juice is just a supplement just like my fish oil or vitamin D pill, etc...it's not a dietary meal replacement.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I own a juicer and rarely use it. When I do use it, it is primarily to get my fruit intake. I love vegetables, but fruits kind of gross me out. I probably only eat 2-3 servings of fruit a week. They have a sloppy texture that I can’t get passed. I love the taste of berries, but if I eat them in their natural form, I feel like I am eating little sweet slugs or something. Peaches and plums are like eyeballs to me. So, I put fruits in a juicer and I can get my fruit without having to put a gross texture in my mouth.

However, as I said, I rarely juice. It actually constipates me because so much pulp and fiber are removed in the juicing process. I hear people all the time saying how juicing makes them poo or even causes diarrhea, but it consistently impacts me in the opposite way. Maybe my body is just weird?

Also, it is a complete hassle to me. My juicer is a $150 piece of bulky equipment that is too large to leave on my limited countertop, so I have to break it down and keep it in a cupboard. It’s just a pain to get it out, assemble it, juice, throw out the pulp, break down the machine, wash the pieces, dry it, put it back into the cupboard for storage... all for a serving of fruit. It’s easier to grab a crispy apple or just skip my fruit intake and have a vegetable instead.

So, that's my personal answer to why I am "against" juicing. (I'm not really against it. I'm just constipated and burdened by it. LOL)
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I need the fiber that juicing throws away.
    For me it's pointless.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    hey are against fasting- juice fasts
    not good
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Because I like to do this when I eat...
    CXVqQT1.gif
  • complicatedmoves
    complicatedmoves Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For me juicing (taking fruits and veggies and making them into juice) isn't as satisfying to me as eating the fruit and veggies. You can also consume many more calories with a glass of juice than you can if you ate all those fruits and veggies you put in there --- normally.

I agree with the above statement, but I think that most people just to provide the digestive tract some relief from having to break down and process foods. In addition, it can be used for those who need to increase their intake of fruits and veggies in a simple way ( drinking them).
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with turning your foods into a puree or juice if you want to.

I just don't think there are any special health benefits to doing it, and certainly nothing magical with regards to weight loss.

In the end, you can eat your calories or drink them, but you'll need a deficit if you want to lose weight.

So if you are into juicing because you enjoy drinking food juices, great! But if you are into it because you think it is doing something special for your health, I think that's probably incorrect.
  • ikrissyt
    ikrissyt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Juicing is one of the simplest things to do. Just juice the damn stuff and drink it. I get fat, protein and fiber.

No, you do not get fiber from juicing. Juicing takes the juice from the fruit or vegetable and cuts out the bulk. The bulk, like the skin, is what contains all the fiber.
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Juicing is one of the simplest things to do. Just juice the damn stuff and drink it. I get fat, protein and fiber.

No, you do not get fiber from juicing. Juicing takes the juice from the fruit or vegetable and cuts out the bulk. The bulk, like the skin, is what contains all the fiber.

There are two kinds of fiber, soluble and insoluble. Juicing removes the insoluble fiber only. Both are helpful to our bodies so if you juice, make sure to eat the whole fruit and vegetables sometimes too for the insoluble fiber.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Most fruits and fruit juice is high in sugar. Sugar is bad. Does that make sense?
    Water is better, especially if you are going to fast.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Most fruits and fruit juice is high in sugar. Sugar is bad. Does that make sense?
    Water is better, especially if you are going to fast.

I'm going to fast with water starting Friday at sundown. I dare someone to tell me I shouldn't. :bigsmile:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Because its a gimmick. If you look at the most successful people on this site (or anywhere really) - the ones setting PRs, the ones who have taken the weight off and kept it off, the ones who look amazing - they don't do crazy things like put all their food in a blender before eating it. They don't insist their bodies are unclean and full of mysterious toxins that must be purged. They track their food, exercise, and they don't make it so damn complicated.

This!

Also, it removes much of the fiber...who doesn't want that fiber? I certainly do!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I like juices, if I have to get up and out quickly in the morning I can't usually stomach a real breakfast so I have a juice. I get some nutrients and vitamins without feeling bloated and sick, then I'll have some cereal of something later on. However I always save my pump, because otherwise it's just a waste IMO, I can find a use for any leftovers and it helps me keep costs down to use stuff like that :)

Juicing all food would be no good for me, I have to chew to feel like I'm full, but whatever works for you.