I am in calorie deficit, read my post above
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements?
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I listened to a celebrity trainer yesterday and he said you should go more by the fit of your clothes than by pounds. If you have been working out your body is shifting, fat is turning into muscle and muscle weighs more than fat.
    My experience, I am losing but very slowly. I have however gone down 3 clothing sizes. Good luck to you!

Fat doesnt turn into muscle... and a pound is a pound whether its a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks...a pound of muscle takes up less volume in the body then a pound of fat hence why some people lose inches vs pounds on scale.. but you cant gain muscle in a calorie deficit .
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Well after looking at a few days of your Diary low carb might be something you want to try. your eating a bit of bread and bananas and these are high glycemic. That means it could trigger your insulin which removes sugar from your blood and puts it into fat

Less bread and more vegetables would certainly be something I would try. Also low glycemic fruit like berries would give you a better low calorie and low glycemic alternative to some of your snacks. Look at your macros and be sure to eat at or under your carb levels.

It took a long time for me to fine tune my diet and MFP was a huge help. Good luck!
  • RedKate98
    Options
    You know, there are conditions that cause weight gain, something to do with the thyroid gland springs to mind. It's not for nothing that lots of diets say "see your doctor before going on a diet/exercise programme". I reckon you really should see a doctor and get some blood tests.

I also read recently that it's not just the 'raw calories' that count, it's the type of food - the unhealthy fats actually turn on the fat storing/burn less response, so even if a chocolate bar and an apple have the same calories, one will tend to be stored as fat, and the other will be burnt.

Good luck - keep at it and see the doctor.
  • ImpossibleDreamr
    Options
    Hang in there...sometimes it takes a little while for our bodies to react to the changes. You are doing all the right things. I know it is hard not to feel discouraged, but one day soon...you'll see the weight begin dropping off. One little thing I learned was to weigh myself in the morning before I eat or drink on "weigh in" days. You may already be doing this, but if not...please give it a try. Just drinking a quantity of water before a weigh in can cause temporary fluctuations on the scale. You're doing great. It might be helpful too, if you could focus on your better health as opposed to weight loss. I know it is hard, because we all want the numbers on the scale to go down, but with the positive changes you've made in your food intake, weight loss has to start happening soon. Right now, you can celebrate your food choices leading you to better health. Soon you'll be celebrating the numbers going down on the scale!
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You are going to get a ton of advice on here but only you know your whole situation. Calories in calories out blah blah blah. I can eat the same amount in calories but a higher content of carbs and maintain. Same amount of calories but change my macros to less carbs (NOT no carbs) more protein and viola. I drop the #'s. I have had stagnant weeks that are frustrating as can be and successes when I didn't think there would be. Try some adjustments an see if it helps but keep moving forward.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1lb of fat is the same weight as 1lb of muscle.

Correct. A pound is a pound. whether it be rocks or feathers or whatever....

For people that are still confused, here's some visuals:

A pound of muscle takes up less room than a pound of fat.
    (just like a pound of rocks takes up less room than a pound of feathers)
    Ie the muscle is denser.

http://healthscience.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=549:does-muscle-weight-more-than-fat&catid=102:jeff-novicks-blog&Itemid=267
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I listened to a celebrity trainer yesterday and he said you should go more by the fit of your clothes than by pounds. If you have been working out your body is shifting, fat is turning into muscle and muscle weighs more than fat.
    My experience, I am losing but very slowly. I have however gone down 3 clothing sizes. Good luck to you!

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. 1lb of fat is the same weight as 1lb of muscle.

You are factually correct. What I was trying to explain that muscle is more dense than fat, so a lump of fat weighs less than a lump of muscle of the same size. So, it's quite common for people who are exercising to not lose weight, but to "become smaller". I figured most people here would understand what I meant by that comment.

I was just trying to correct the chick who wrote that they weigh the same. I got into a huge fight with my stepdad over this argument.... how many ways can you say 1lb is 1lb is 1lb? Ugh. But yes, 1lb of muscle takes up less room than 1lb of fat ;-)
    But don't ever assume that people understand logic here.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    once again, a ton of misinformation in this thread. Since this person is new, I'll try to help avoid any confusion:

1) read this (all the way through): http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

2) There is no such thing as "starvation mode". Go look up "adaptive thermogenesis" and learn what it really means.

3) (pretty much same as 2, but...) your body does not "hold onto calories" if you "aren't eating enough". Physics. You do not need to eat more to lose weight - go read the link in #1 again.

4) Muscle is more dense than fat, but 1 lb is 1 lb. 1lb of muscle is smaller in volume than 1lb of fat... but they weigh the same.

5) Muscle *can* be gained when eating at a deficit. It's not nearly as easy, and adding bulk muscle quickly is nearly impossible, but you can gain muscle. That said, even when eating an excess of calories, muscle gains are very, very slow in comparison to fat loss. Like crazy slow. Even slower on a deficit.

6) Macros are important for body recomposition, meaning if you want to spare/gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, but they have very little effect on overall body weight loss. Do set your macros up right, definitely. But... that's now what it keeping you from losing weight.

7) Read #1 again.
  • itsjustdawn
    Options

Fat doesnt turn into muscle... and a pound is a pound whether its a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks...a pound of muscle takes up less volume in the body then a pound of fat hence why some people lose inches vs pounds on scale.. but you cant gain muscle in a calorie deficit .

I like you
  • itsjustdawn
    Options

fat doesn't turn into muscle. fat goes away as you build muscle.

LOL :drinker:
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight you have to eat less calories. It looks like you have been in maintenance mode.

^^ this ^^
  • abbyolurin1
    abbyolurin1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I checked your diary. Maybe you can try eating less calories, for example 1000-1200 calories for a week and see if it jump starts things for you. While you're at it, since you're familiar with the low carb way of things, perhaps you may want to eat Atkins induction friendly food during this time or even read up on the fat fast.
  • misterwah
    misterwah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the BS back-and-forth over the weight of muscle vs. fat. No wonder people get frustrated.

To say that muscle weighs the same as fat is ridiculous. A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead. But feathers and lead do not weigh the same, ya idjit.

To the OP: there's a lot of good advice in here, especially regarding your silly logging. 1.2 pieces of toast, 1.3 eggs, etc. Also the fact that you are not in a calorie deficit on many days. It's right there in your diary.

More good advice that's already been given: never mind the scale. If you really are working out in a meaningful way, go by measurements of things like neck, chest, waist, hips, stomach, butt, thighs, etc. I only say so many because everyone's body is different and you will lose fat/gain muscle in different places than others might. So ignore the pounds and pay attention to inches/cm's.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I didn't go through every day of your diary but the only exercise I saw was walking your dog. Stop eating back those calories - they're likely inflated anyway.
  • boycey1976
    Options
    I had a quick look at you diary for yesterday and in my opinion you are underestimating your calorie intake. I personally look up the food on the database and if there are a few options I input the highest calorific one unless I know for sure the one i'm picking is accurate. I work offshore so all my meals are prepared by the chefs and it is impossible for me to weigh meals so it is all guess work, I have also only been using this whilst offshore for 2 weeks at a time. I have managed to lose 12 pounds so far and I'm not doing any exercise other than working. It may sound harsh but if you are serious about losing weight (and you seem to be) then some of your food choices require a bit of a change of lifestyle. Some of the changes I've made to my diet are now permanent lifestyle choices, if you look at it as a diet then you will fail. Good luck!!
  • misterwah
    misterwah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    DUDE, you're eating tons of junk - 8 slices of dominos pizza in one sitting and then burger king for dinner on the same day?! What do you expect???

Also, I was incorrect - you're not going over on calories "many" days - you're going WAY over cals on MOST days.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    All you need for weightloss is to eat less, move more.

Work on your calorie deficit, concentrate on eating healthy foods, try adding exercise you enjoy.

Use Fat2Fit Radio's BMR calculator, just type it into Google, it will come right up. It estimates your daily calories based on your stats and what you want to lose and your activity level, that way you don't need to log exercise, just input your calories everyday. Simple!