Anyone else whose goal is still not a "healthy weight"?

Options

Replies

• larodriguez02
    larodriguez02 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    my goal is 175, I'm currently at 236. that is still considered overweight for me. I would have to go down to around 150-160, to be in the "healthy" range. I would just be happy to be considered overweight and not have to shop in plus size. When I hit that goal I will reassess my goal.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    my goal is 175, I'm currently at 236. that is still considered overweight for me. I would have to go down to around 150-160, to be in the "healthy" range. I would just be happy to be considered overweight and not have to shop in plus size. When I hit that goal I will reassess my goal.

Sounds like a reasonable goal! I think I'd have to be closer to 150 lb to become a size 12, which in some stores is plus. I'm an 18 now and in my early teens when I was around 170, I wore a 14 even then.
  • elizabetharama
    Options
    My goal right now is 195 lbs, which is still 50 lbs. overweight for my height, but I started at 320 this time around. I haven't been under 250 since I was 17 years old, and I'm in my late 30s. Also, I have no desire to actually be *slim*. My plan is that once I get down under 200 I'll set my plan to eat at maintenance levels and keep exercising, and if my body wants to get smaller then that's fine. I just want to be a smaller plus-size--something in the range of 12-18.
  • SimplyMeLucia
    SimplyMeLucia Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    At my highest I was 284 that I know, I didnt weigh myself for a year so it could of been more. My goal is 180 -185, for my height (5'7) the charts say about 145. Which would mean I would still be over by 40 pounds. However for my body I know at 180 I wouldnt look to big or skinny just curvy :)

Honestly when was the last time they did a new study on the weight charts?
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Yeah, and no one is healthier at 40% body fat than 25% body fat. Don't delude yourself.
    [/quote]

JT, you're the only one on this thread making any sense.
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    I should be between 95-123 lbs. My goal is 140 lbs... we'll see what life brings after that... :)
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Im only 5' foot tall so I *should* weigh just a tad over 100 lbs --- I think I would be too thin and I set my goal is 140 lbs. I think that's a healthy goal for me - considering I have to drop about 35 lbs to reach it. I recall being around 140 and being happy. Screw the charts that say we should be stick thin.
  • bamabutterfly83
    bamabutterfly83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My current goal is 150 which is still overweight. But that is only a reassessment point for me. I may go lower or I may not. I'm focusing on how I feel and what I see when I look in the mirror.
  • losttogain
    losttogain Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My current goal is 185, but I would like to just get back down to 200 for now. I'm almost 5'9" and that would still make me overweight!

I just want my pants to fit correctly again. I'm over muffin top.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My goal was a specific pair of jeans I wanted to get back in to. When I wore them before I had a healthy BMI. When I got into them this time, I was still in the overweight BMI catergory by a little. But I have a healthy weight by BMI and height-to-waist or hip-to-waist measurement, and my BF% is in the healthy range so I guess my answer is yes and/or no, depending on which measurement you want to use.

I am trying to lose another 10 though, which would put me in healthy BMI range too.
  • elizabetharama
    Options

Yeah, and no one is healthier at 40% body fat than 25% body fat. Don't delude yourself.

Wow, yes, you're so superior. Most of us in this thread have a lot of weight to lose, and your criticism is that we don't want to be skinny? I don't think that most people honestly chose a weight to aim for that's based on what's healthiest. Some people want to be painfully (but not quite dangerously) thin, and you know what--good for them. Not only do I find rounder bodies more aesthetically pleasing, but after spending my entire teen and adult years being overweight/obese the idea of being a thin person feels DEEPLY, DEEPLY uncomfortable. I can no more see myself as weighing 120 lbs. than I can see myself being a man. So yeah, what a dumb freaking idea it is for me to aim for a weight that would be much, much healthier than where I started from even if it doesn't meet some ideal. *smh*

Not everybody wants to be skinny, and that's okay!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Wow, yes, you're so superior. Most of us in this thread have a lot of weight to lose, and your criticism is that we don't want to be skinny? I don't think that most people honestly chose a weight to aim for that's based on what's healthiest. Some people want to be painfully (but not quite dangerously) thin, and you know what--good for them. Not only do I find rounder bodies more aesthetically pleasing, but after spending my entire teen and adult years being overweight/obese the idea of being a thin person feels DEEPLY, DEEPLY uncomfortable. I can no more see myself as weighing 120 lbs. than I can see myself being a man. So yeah, what a dumb freaking idea it is for me to aim for a weight that would be much, much healthier than where I started from even if it doesn't meet some ideal. *smh*

Yes, it is ok. Your body, your choice.

But you're kidding yourself if you think it's as healthy as being in the 'normal weight' BMI category. That's Jonnythan's point.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I can no more see myself as weighing 120 lbs. than I can see myself being a man.

That's the point, actually. You can't see yourself being 120 lbs so you choose a more realistic-sounding goal and say "there, I'll stop at that point even though I'll still be unhealthy and overweight."

As I said earlier in the thread:
    The reality is that there's absolutely nothing preventing you from weighing what you did in college besides your own expectations. You certainly could, but you think you're incapable and therefore you never will. So you set a goal that feels realistic to you and say "there, perfect."

Maybe once you reach your first goal, 120 lbs will seem a little more realistic and you'll set a goal closer to that.
  • CrazyVulcanLover
    Options
    Bodies, people and desires are all different.;

I got down to 170 once. People asked if I was sick, if something was wrong, if I had an eating disorder, etc. It did not look good on me. I'm tall--I have a lot of muscle.

I have had more then one doctor tell me that despite the "charts" that right around 200 is a perfectly fine place for me to be. I don't have any medical issues--I am eating HEALTHY and am very active. Even when I was well over 320--I was a super active person....
    I can no more see myself as weighing 120 lbs. than I can see myself being a man.

That's the point, actually. You can't see yourself being 120 lbs so you choose a more realistic-sounding goal and say "there, I'll stop at that point even though I'll still be unhealthy and overweight."

As I said earlier in the thread:
    The reality is that there's absolutely nothing preventing you from weighing what you did in college besides your own expectations. You certainly could, but you think you're incapable and therefore you never will. So you set a goal that feels realistic to you and say "there, perfect."

Maybe once you reach your first goal, 120 lbs will seem a little more realistic and you'll set a goal closer to that.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Yeah I want to be 165 (Im' 5'6") I'd still probably be a little bigger, but i have big hips, I like them, and I don't mind having some meat on my bones as long as I'm healthy

^^^True story!!!!.. This is my height and goal as well :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think the weight to get to my "ideal" BMI is 142-156. I was 150 when I graduated high school and I was THIN. I'd be happy with a muscular 175.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My goal right now is 195 lbs, which is still 50 lbs. overweight for my height, but I started at 320 this time around. I haven't been under 250 since I was 17 years old, and I'm in my late 30s. Also, I have no desire to actually be *slim*. My plan is that once I get down under 200 I'll set my plan to eat at maintenance levels and keep exercising, and if my body wants to get smaller then that's fine. I just want to be a smaller plus-size--something in the range of 12-18.

THIS! :-)
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is 10 pounds into the healthy range, but really, I just want to touch "normal" for 5 minutes. Right now I think I'm about 15 pounds above where I would feel satisfied (still in the overweight category) and we'll see how it goes after that.

The weight is no where near as important as how I'm feeling, and I'm feeling pretty darned good.
  • jessiefied
    Options
    I got to the middle of my BMI and my doctor told me I needed to stop loosing weight as I was too thin! So much of 'healthy weight' depends from person to person! Im hoping to get into the top 'healthy' scale and I'll be a really good weight for my body shape.
  • ReginaM49
    ReginaM49 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

^ THIS!
    I agree with most on here! I feel we should look and feel good to nobody else'standards but our own!