What annoying comments did you get from your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    " Are you ok.. you almost look sick" - I have never been so healthy, lol
    "Stop losing, you have no CURVES anymore" - from a coworker, though my husband never complained, he loves my new body

On the brighter side, most people applaude me for the loss. A coworker always tells me " You are the greatest example of will power to transform oneself" :)
  • JoyceMakker
    JoyceMakker Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine (who is bigger than me and has only tried crashdiets and failed at them every single time) said these things when I started:

"You're logging every single thing you eat? You're so obsessed. I will bet you that you're going to gain everything right back after you stop just because you're going to binge on anything you're forbidding yourself to eat now."

The thing is, I don't forbid myself anything. And I'm not obsessed, I just care about having a healthy body. Her lack of faith in me just makes me want to prove her wrong.

Oh yeah, now that I'm still keeping my weight low and still eat what I want to eat (within reason), she has pretty much shut up about it :P
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think any negattive comments are jealous comments. You are the only judge!!!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    "How did you do it??" Followed the inevitable silence when I say counting calories and exercise....

"Oh you are so skinny, don't lose any more........"

"Don't go to crazy with the weight lifting you'll look like a man" "You'll look like a man/more masculine"

"Wow you count EVERYTHING you eat? I couldn't do that it is so hard!"
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    "have you talked to your dr about this?"
    and my personal favorite...from a close relative..."if you keep exercising like this, you'll miss your cycle and won't be able to get pregnant." Because a baby is exactly what I needed right now lol.

Can't believe someone actually said that to you!! Lol!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I think I have really nice friends and family because I can't think of any negative comments since I started losing weight, and very few when was bigger.

The only semi-negative comment I've received, and it was out of concern, was when I had lunch with a business associate I'm on great terms with and he didn't say anything about the loss (I was down about 50 pounds at that point). My feelings were hurt because I was sure he'd notice and he's a really nice guy who would normally be supportive.

When I got back to my office there was an email,"I noticed you lost weight but I didn't want to say anything in case you are sick and it is inadvertent. You didn't seem as happy as usual today."

That is so cute :-)
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    A few people called me "slim" or "skinny" as nicknames. I know it's meant as a compliment but I'm still 5'11" 240 :\ Even though BMI's are a little BS that still technically makes me obese.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I was always fit or skinny but usually fit, so being out of shape or fat was unusual for me. For 6 years I was FAT!
    When I lost a bunch of weight people would compliment me but my WIFE would say "He will probably go back to being fat"
    She has her own issues (obviously) I got mad at first but now I use it as motivation :bigsmile:

Also, the people who ask how and then before I can tell them, they fire off a machine gun of excuses why THEY can't lose
    so why ask!!!???
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    You are to skinny!
    This from people who use to tell your to fat!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    right now the most annoying for me is people pointing out specific parts of me that have gotten thinner than others. It's people I love like my mom and best friend. Which actually makes it easier to take, than if it were random strangers or acquaintances etc. But I'm already self-conscious enough about some of the physical changes recently and when I hear "gosh your hands/fingers/forearms look SO skinny, like thinner than a skinny person!!" or "I see the loss in your neck and shoulders" or "Your legs look so small!" it makes me feel like I am morphing into a misshapen freak. When I was even at my heaviest (80 lb ago, long before joining MFP) my hands, forearms, face & neck were normal sized and didn't look like those of a heavy person. So now I feel weird about some of these "thin" bits of me when I still have huge hips, a belly, etc. I do look leaner overall but those are things you can't control so much. Eh.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    After returning to work 2 months post partum:

Coworker: You don't even look like you had a baby! I wish I had your genes.

Don't minimize all my hard work to just "genes." Throughout pregnancy and post partum, I carefully watched what I ate and exercised regularly, even if all I could do was walk. There's no magic DNA or formula.
  • Shannah256
    Shannah256 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I went from 205 to 155 lbs, when I told a family member that I had finally hit the 50lb milestone she just said 'it shows how fat you were in the first place'
  • PDubbya
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. Usually people comment about how much weight I've put on. Anyway.....My SIL and her family always make comments about my weight whether I'm too fat or too thin. When I met my future husband, their comments were that I was too fat. "Is that you're second piece of cake?" Then when I lost a lot of weight, it was "You're so SKINNY!" For some reason, certain people always comment about my weight no matter what. Like it's any of their business. Like someone else on MFP said, "You can't please everybody all the time."
    When I weighed 98 lbs. and I'd eat a piece of fudge or something else like that, my cousin's husband would say "That's fattening." Then I'd say "I think I know what I'm doing."
    People need to keep their comments to themselves. I get tired of it! Next time somebody comments about my weight, I'm going to say "Thank you for being so concerned about my weight." (in a sarcastic tone).
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My mam said, "you can see you are losing weight now you lucky thing"

Me, "lucky!!!!! I count calories every day and walk miles every week - how is that lucky?"

Mam just shrugged!

Think people should think before they speak and use that old saying, "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all!!!!"
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    well since I haven't lost that much yet I haven't gotten any! But about eight years ago I had lost about 70 lbs and of course the age lines in my face were more noticeable. I ended up gaining 2/3 of that back (damitall) and a co-worker told me I looked too old when I had the weight off! grrrrrr, gee maybe that's because I'm almost old enough to be your mother! sorry we don't stay 30 forever! oh and by the way she is a lot larger than me.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    "Why are you still dieting? You don't need to lose any more weight!"
    (I'm aiming for a specific weight class and body fat percentage to start competitive powerlifting.)

"You must have so much discipline to stay on a diet that long."
    (Seriously, I'm on 2000+ calories a day and to an extent I'm dreading coming off the "diet" because it's going to cost A BOMB.)

"How did you lose so much weight?"
    "I lift a lot of weights and walk a lot."
    "Oh, I don't have the patience for that."
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    "no more, you're getting too skinny" (my bmi is borderline normal/overweight still)
    "i'm worried you're not eating" (I EAT!)
    "what supplements are you taking?" / "what do you mean you didn't take anything? Then how did you do it by yourself?"
    "you're obsessed"
    After telling a small group at a holiday party that I'd gained 3 pounds back from the 75 I'd lost "once you start gaining a few pounds its all going to come back so you need to be careful. Don't let that happen."...all this comment did was make me go back to the buffet for another plate of food and then I heard "wow Jenn you sure are eating a lot, I can see why you gained weight" (coming from someone who is a good 80 pounds overweight.)

when people come to me for advice and I give it to them and then all I hear is "I can't". I can't walk, I can't eat like that, I cant take a class, I can't track my food, I can't do dvds. I can't lift a dumbell more than 5 pounds. Well, then wtf did you ask me for help for? You've already made up your mind that you're stuck in your "I can't" life, so let me live my new life of "I can"
  • tryshaantonelli
    tryshaantonelli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh, look. I can see your neck again......
  • tryshaantonelli
    tryshaantonelli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    After reading a bunch of these, I've realized how many people keep super toxic relationships. Please Please dump the people that don't support you. Friends and family should raise you up, not drag you down!
  • rlbroad
    Options
    I get

again?! Maybe this time you won't gain it all back...
    oh just have this one cookie it's not like it's going to hurt you...
    if you eat so much salad than why are you so fat still??

Oh you're seeing a personal trainer now? Hmm what is he going to do about your waist?

If people can't say anything positive or nice I just wish they'd keep their mouth shut. Thanks for sharing these. It's unbelievable how rude some people (family included) can really be.