A Question For those who have been on MFP for more than 1 yr

Options
I have had this on my mind for a while.... I have seen so many great inspirational folks on here who have lost sooooo much weight and have changed their lives! Some are still losing some are maintaining. For those Maintaining I would like to say THANK YOU for sticking around here and sharing your story and knowledge with all of us.:flowerforyou: Your support is vital to me on this awesome website and close knit community! You show us your before and after pictures, some of which I know at one time in your life were probably a very painful thing to see, again I Thank You! You offer advice to those who ask you. You add new friends and probably repeat yourselves quite a bit again thank you. You are the glue that holds this place together!:drinker: You show everyday people that ANYONE really can do this. You show us you don't have to be on a weight loss show to lose a drastic amount of weight. That TRANSFORMATIONS happen to regular people just like me!
NOW MY QUESTION.......
Do you ever look at a new MFP member and think SHE/HE IS GOING TO GET THERE!! Is there something about what someone says or does that tells you they have IT. They have the salt or grit to make it! Something that stands out to you that shows that the determination in a person is real and it is only a matter of time until the reach their goals?? I hope you get what I am trying to say. You are the veterans around here and when you see a rookie just getting their first 10 or 20 lbs off do you say to yourself about some, I HOPE they continue where others you sayOH! THEY WILL MAKE IT!! They got what it takes.If YES do you friend request some of those people to follow their journey?? I was just really curious about this. :bigsmile:
Looking forward to your responses as always..... you guys and gals are more inspiring than you know!!
P.S.
If your answer is yes well you should probably get that friend request to ME!! I for one can't wait to have before and after pictures like yours!! And I WILL have them!!:happy: :wink: :laugh: :wink:
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Jena
9 weeks with MFP

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    every one is different, and as great as this site is, it is only a tool to help keep track, which in turns, hopeuflly will keep the motivation going.

Bottom line is, you either want it or you don't. No site will magically make you lose, only you can by following the plan.
  • I know this is for the veterans ... And the only reason I sneaked in was to DOUBLE DITTO!! MrsJ! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I'd love to have a few veteran friends to get advice from too, :bigsmile: and you ladies and gentlemen are the reason this site holds together!! :love:
  • Jess1313
    Options
    Great message and question, you have raised my curiosity! I am very new to MFP, and I am so glad I found this community!
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    I've been on this sight for over six months now. I try not to judge people, but sometimes I wonder if people that have a general, overall negative attitude that they won't make it. I'm not talking about someone who is negative at that moment because they might have gained a pound or two. I'm talking about the overall tone of what a person writes. Attitude has everything to do with a person's journey. This sight helps us to see that someone fat like me can do it, so I know I can do it. Reading inspiring stories on here is so motivating to me! I don't think my husband and I could have done as well as we have without this website. It made us truly see what we are putting in our mouths. Who would have thought I could put 4,000 calories in my body at one meal? It has absolutely opened our eyes and do it right.

As for friending, I once friended someone and when I would lose weight, that person would cheer me on. I kinda freaked and cancelled the friending. I think that is just me, but I don't even friend my husband, whom I share everything (including how much I actually weigh).

Good luck on your journey and I hope you continue to keep a positive attitude to make sure your journey is successful.:drinker:
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I haven't been here a year but I have lost a large amount of weight (with a long way to go) and have seen a lot of people come and go on this site. I've seen more people quit then those who stick it out month after month, but it seems to be easier to spot those who will not make it. The "red flags" I often see for those that (99% of the time) end up giving up usually do one or more of these things:

-they get WAY too hard on themselves when they "mess up" - ie when they go over calories, eat too much cake, miss a day of exercise, etc and act like they've committed a major crime or that they've gone and "ruined everything"

-they eat a LOT of junk food and almost always go over calorie goals, day after day after day

-are excessively negative about themselves and even when they've achieved so much (like eating WAY healthier than they used to) they seem to only see the bad

-they go from eating 3000+ calories a day to trying to live off of 900 calories or less a day

-they push themselves too hard too fast, trying to look at this journey like a sprint instead of the marathon that it is

-can only see this as a temporary thing, a "diet" that they will some day "get off of" once they reach a magical number on the scale, forgetting that for lasting weight loss it has to become a lifestyle change and that even when goal weight is reached they will have to be vigilant with what they eat and how much they exercise for the rest of their lives. Maintenance is a commitment that means being active and eating healthy for life.

-are going to very unhealthy measures to lose the weight, forgetting that what they do to lose the weight is something they will need to do for life in order to keep it off

Now I'm not saying that EVERYONE that does one or more of these things will end up quitting, but they are definitely red flags.

The ones that I've seen stick around month after month are the ones with positive attitudes, the ones who know this is a lifelong journey, the ones that take the good with the bad and give themselves credit for their achievements, and the ones who are going about losing weight in a healthy and sustainable manner.

I hope that helps or answers your question. Sorry for being so long winded. lol :)

*hugs*
    ~Stacy
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    hmmmmmmmmmmm:indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent:
    i'm sure u would call me an MFP oldie.:smile::smile:
    but i'm no success.:cry::cry: :cry:
    i once thought i was though!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    back in 6-2009, i got w/in 5lbs of my goal and i was on top of the world!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: (bikini pic in profile!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: )
    but i've gained 10-15 lbs since then!:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
    i still work out almost every fricken day and i am careful w/ my foods, but ..............::grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

i can not answer your question. perhapps i should not even have written in your thread. i too am in awe of the sucess people you talk of!:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • jrbowers83
    jrbowers83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I haven't been here for OVER a year. Just under actually. I started out the week before Thanksgiving last year, so 10 months on here. Wow, kinda funny that I might be considered a veteran or someone that could inspire and cheer on others. But I do admit I've learned A LOT from my time on here, the uphill struggles of weight loss especially when LIFE hits ya, and my own research on all of it. I do like to look at some newbies and spread some of what I've learned, especially since there have been many times I felt like I was a failure, I'm never gonna make it through this, I suck. LOL. I have to agree with sjd2010, there are some people that annoy me because they won't listen to advice, just bemoan their situation. But I'm the type of person to not say anything if it's not nice. I also don't visit the chats as much or reply to newsfeeds , as I'm so busy trying to stay active and keep up with my kids. I'll often just jump on for a moment to log my foods or plan my meals out, then I'm off. This is a choice, and just like life there will be ups and downs on the journey, but it still feels so good to come back after a meal, a day, or a week of being lazy or not eating right and jump right back into it. So if I can help anyone out, I'm happy to struggle through right alongside any of you.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    thank you. it makes me feel good that newbies notice some of us stick around for encouragment.
    My friend group is filled with positive thinking losers, so I will say yes the ppl I respond to I see something in what they are saying that tells me they will stick with it!

I am back into losing again now that my heart has healed:heart: (had mini stoke, then heart sx) so I need encouragment too!!

Good luck!:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    wow
    good points stacy.
    some of your words sound like u r talking about me.:cry::cry: :cry:

-they get WAY too hard on themselves when they "mess up" - ie when they go over calories, eat too much cake, miss a day of exercise, etc and act like they've committed a major crime or that they've gone and "ruined everything"

-are excessively negative about themselves and even when they've achieved so much (like eating WAY healthier than they used to) they seem to only see the bad

-they push themselves too hard too fast, trying to look at this journey like a sprint instead of the marathon that it is

-can only see this as a temporary thing, a "diet" that they will some day "get off of" once they reach a magical number on the scale, forgetting that for lasting weight loss it has to become a lifestyle change and that even when goal weight is reached they will have to be vigilant with what they eat and how much they exercise for the rest of their lives. Maintenance is a commitment that means being active and eating healthy for life.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    hmmmmmmmmmmm:indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent:
    i'm sure u would call me an MFP oldie.:smile::smile:
    but i'm no success.:cry::cry: :cry:
    i once thought i was though!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    back in 6-2009, i got w/in 5lbs of my goal and i was on top of the world!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: (bikini pic in profile!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: )
    but i've gained 10-15 lbs since then!:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
    i still work out almost every fricken day and i am careful w/ my foods, but ..............::grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

i can not answer your question. perhapps i should not even have written in your thread. i too am in awe of the sucess people you talk of!:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

My little Oregon friend, will you please share with the class the amount of weight you DID lose please?? Thankyouverymuch!!

You ARE a success..........so you backslid a bit, so did I and I am DEF a success!!

You can I can lose that last 20 together!!

Your beautiful!:love:
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    wow
    good points stacy.
    some of your words sound like u r talking about me.:cry::cry: :cry:

Awww, I hope I didn't offend anyone. It's just what I have seen that seems to be most common with the "quitters". But people can always change. :D Because truth be told I was once one of those people I described, years ago, that's who I was. Not so today, not so anymore. :) Every day, every minute, is an opportunity to totally reinvent ourselves and to leave our old ways behind. I haven't been that negative woman in years, nor do I plan on being her ever again! :) *hugs*
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I don't forget to reply later – when I'm not completely, totally exhausted. :smile:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    My date lies - I've been here and on track since mid-late January.

I think Stacy is 100% right. But I'd say the winners are the tortoises and the losers are the hares. I've been here 9 months and lost about 40 pounds. But it's in a lifestyle that I can ABSOLUTELY maintain. Forever. Happily. Without craving. Because frankly, when I'm craving something, I have it. But I have a teeeeny tiny bit of it, or I modify it to be much healthier.

I've started reading ingredients, cleaning my house more, and finding interesting ways to add more and more activity into my life. And let me tell you what, my dogs and my husband love me for it :happy: And I love myself for it!!

So how do you know you're sticking? You've made peace with your faults, accepted them, love yourself, and you're just pushing to be a little bit better. And you do it with patience (and sometimes a little grace ... maybe :wink:)
  • arewethereyet
    Options

I think Stacy is 100% right. But I'd say the winners are the tortoises and the losers are the hares. I've been here 9 months and lost about 40 pounds. But it's in a lifestyle that I can ABSOLUTELY maintain. Forever. Happily. Without craving. Because frankly, when I'm craving something, I have it. But I have a teeeeny tiny bit of it, or I modify it to be much healthier.

I've started reading ingredients, cleaning my house more, and finding interesting ways to add more and more activity into my life. And let me tell you what, my dogs and my husband love me for it :happy: And I love myself for it!!

So how do you know you're sticking? You've made peace with your faults, accepted them, love yourself, and you're just pushing to be a little bit better. And you do it with patience (and sometimes a little grace ... maybe :wink:)

OMG can I hug you??? You just reminded me of so VERY much!! I just rebooted or did a Uturn as Tweeber referred to last year. Feels good to be back in the saddle agin!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    What an excellent post!

I would say some of the people who I just "know" are going to succeed are the people that are here every day. Receiving support from others and giving it as well.

Fitness & health become part of who you are after a while & if you let it become part of who you are, change isn't far behind!

Thanks again for the wonderful topic!
    -Chancy
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I also joined way before June, but changed my name in June...I think that's why it's showing the incorrect date *shrugs shoulders*
  • ImCeltic
    ImCeltic Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What StacySkinny wrote makes all of the sense in the world. Steady with persistence, we can't beat ourselves up when we fall back into an old habit, and we need to make this work in the long run and not overdo skimping on nutrition or killing ourselves to the point of injury with exercise. I really liked what you wrote. I've been here for six weeks and I think I can keep doing what I'm doing so far. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I must sleep now, but I'm curious to read the rest of the comments to your question, which is a great one to ask!
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Thank You All So Much!! Bumping to see who else takes the stage! You are all so awesome! :love: :love: I guess I pick great 'loser' friends as I already have a few of you as friends! :flowerforyou: You are all helping me so much, I will be happy to help people in the same way NEXT YEAR:wink::drinker: :bigsmile: :smooched:
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

This pretty much sums up my experience here. I wanted to cook healthier for my family but I still eat out, fast food even, but in moderation. I think that is a big key, being able to do it in moderation. I always try to tell myself when I want more to eat, the next meal isnt so far away and just wait and look forward to it.

I try to find ways now to exercise more. Walking the dog more, taking the kids with me to walk the dog and get them involved in exercise. I am worried about them as well with getting enough activity daily. I figure the more I do, the more I can eat a little bit more but if I go over, as I did today, tomorrow I will do better and not go over.

I think if you never give yourself some treats, as I did today eating ice cream cake for my son's b-day, and consider yourself being deprived, you will probably eventually cave in and may get way off track.

hope this helps, kind of tired right now and may sound scattered-brained. :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I am loving reading this thread. :) I have only been on MFP for about 4 1/2 months but I fully plan on being here and still losing at the year mark and beyond. I just wanted to chime in and say thanks to all of you who have been here a while too. It is so inspiring to me to see someone who has stayed with MFP over time, lost weight a little at a time and in a healthy way, and is now encouraging those of us who are closer to the beginning of our journey. It is seeing all of you and remembering that if I am not inching ahead that I will start regaining weight (again) that helps me keep going on the tough days and discouraging days. Thanks so much! :)