Frustrating Skinny Friend

Options

Replies

• swillybay
    swillybay Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There are no evil foods. None. You need to eat as healthy as possible leaving room for treats and snacks Working into your calories for the day, the things that you like to eat. Otherwise you will burn out and quit.

As far as your friend, stand up to her and explain that you are working your own plan. Exercise together - there's no problem there. Don't let others throw you off your plan. Find what works for you. Good luck.

Absolutely this! And this girl should know, since she has lost 94 lbs.! Wow! Just keep on your own course. :)
  • swillybay
    swillybay Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sticking to a low carb diet is pretty essential when it comes to weight loss. that is just the fact of the matter, but what your "skinny" friend doesn't know is that cheat days will actually benefit your weight loss, especially when you get stuck in your weight loss. That's why body builders use "carb days" once a week when getting really lean to maintain muscle mass and confuse their metabolism into dropping more fat. It also restores glycogen stores which helps maintain strength and swell those muscles up. Cheat days are essential in the mental aspect of it, this is a life long thing not a short cut fix from the sounds of it. You can have a cheat day every once in a while, just don't make it a weekly ritual just do it on occasion when you really feel tired of all the crap. Hope you read this because this is the truth, you can't restrict yourself constantly and expect to maintain that the rest of your life. BTW avoid dextrose ( milk ) fructose (fruit) except for post workout! (or on a cheat or carb day)

Hmmm I must still be fat then, I eat a lot of carbs.

*looks down*

Oh. Well this is awkward.

Hahahahahahaha! Too funny. I get so tired of people telling me I HAVE to eat low carb. I have an acquaintance who keeps going low carb, losing weight, then going back to "normal" eating, gains it back, diets again low carb, loses weight, goes back to regular eating, gains it back, etc., etc.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    men fall over when I walk into a room. lets see maybe its just my stupidly gorgeous friend who is beside me that they are looking at!! I just lost my baby weight and my baby is almost a year old. she is skinnier than before she got pregnant and her baby is 2 months old :/ I totally get it!!! and my friends always make fun of fat people and im all "hello!!!! fat girl right here morons!!"
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent' - Eleanor Roosevelt
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Sticking to a low carb diet is pretty essential when it comes to weight loss. that is just the fact of the matter, but what your "skinny" friend doesn't know is that cheat days will actually benefit your weight loss, especially when you get stuck in your weight loss. That's why body builders use "carb days" once a week when getting really lean to maintain muscle mass and confuse their metabolism into dropping more fat. It also restores glycogen stores which helps maintain strength and swell those muscles up. Cheat days are essential in the mental aspect of it, this is a life long thing not a short cut fix from the sounds of it. You can have a cheat day every once in a while, just don't make it a weekly ritual just do it on occasion when you really feel tired of all the crap. Hope you read this because this is the truth, you can't restrict yourself constantly and expect to maintain that the rest of your life. BTW avoid dextrose ( milk ) fructose (fruit) except for post workout! (or on a cheat or carb day)

Hmmm I must still be fat then, I eat a lot of carbs.

*looks down*

Oh. Well this is awkward.

Yeah, this ^^^ ... I'm VERY petite and I eat at least 60% carbs.
  • pg1derful
    Options
    So excited that joined a great group of people to vent to about my struggles and goals on weight loss who understand and support each other...Just a vent people no need to drag me through the dirt and make me feel bad. I've spent 4 hours today in the ER with sick kids with a deployed hubby...wah wah poor me. I'm sure none of you have had a bad day and just needed somewhere to vent to.
    I'll typically yell in the car all the way home from work. It gets interesting looks and no one can say anything back to me.. unlike a forum.
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    At least the girl you're referring to is going to the gym and keeping you motivated, BUT NATURALLY SKINNY PEOPLE JUST DON'T GET IT. I totally understand.

What about her post makes you think her friend is "naturally skinny"? If said friend is also hitting the gym six times per week, it sounds like the friend is busting her *kitten* and has EARNED that body. That kind of dismissive tone is just nonsense. Anyone who manages to achieve and maintain a goal weight deserves respect, not snide comments.
  • ilikethisname
    Options
    If you aren't over on your calories for the day then it's all good! I find it difficult to stay under my calories. Not impossible but difficult.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week at the gym with my "skinny friend" she keeps me moving, motivated, and in check....but some days she just makes me mad! I count my calories, I generally eat healthy calories, but today I made some bad choices (within my caloire goals) and she made me feel so bad for it. She is very pro-lo carb and I am more eat what i'm feeling like within my portion and calorie goals. I try to keep my protien high and my sodium low but otherwise I'm pretty happy with my choices....today I had Taco Bell. I know I know it was a bad choice, I had 2 sick kids, I was pulling my hair out, and that's what my little one asked for so we had it. I just want to stop feeling like I should feel so guilty for it.

Tell her she has orthorexia-nervousa and that there's no reason to be low carbing AND strength training.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Eleanor Roosevelt said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." This goes for feeling guilty, ashamed, dumb, etc. Your friend can say what she wants. If you are truly ok with your choices, then own your choices and don't take on the guilt she tries to put on you. People will always judge you. It doesn't mean they are right or that you are wrong. It's just their opinion and they are trying to put their opinion on you.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Why does she need to know what you are eating?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Skinny friend shouldn't be pushing low carb on you or judging your taco bell meal. Tell her you only need her for gym motivation and just don't tell her what you're eating. Tell her you're hitting your macros and that's it.

I got kids too and you can bet I'm going to eat whatever they're eating. A perk of having kids :wink:
  • MarAnna43
    MarAnna43 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I have two skinny roommates. One of them was skinny to start with but started paleo, and she is getting smaller and smaller. The other one is SUPER skinny without trying. For dinner, she will consume a whole pizza by herself and is still a twig. Well. One of them is far from sympathetic and/or sensitive, and whenever she sees me eat something that is not diet-friendly, she always says, "How's that diet coming??" She says it in a totally sarcastic way, and it drives me insane. However, maybe my anger will fuel some future success. I need accountability anyway; maybe she will be that for me.
  • BarefootSerenity
    Options
    There are no evil foods. None.

You couldn't be more wrong.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    she is probably just hungry. Your probably craving junk food because your trying not to eat it. I eat junk food in moderation. 2 months after I started on this site my cravings went away and because of this I can have one piece of chocolate or 1 serving of chips or candy. It works for me as long as I'm under my micros I still lose.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

devils food cake? Deviled eggs...? Huh? Huh?
    Tell me about evil food.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain a bit. My friend was 170 and is now 135, she was diabetic (dangerous levels) and now is not. So for her a low carb diet is absolutely necessary. But she's always preaching that stuff to anyone who will listen. I am much much bigger but in perfect health and I love the way I eat. I don't need to do Paleo or go gluten-free. I love my friend but it gets old hearing that stuff.
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options

devils food cake? Deviled eggs...? Huh? Huh?

Tell me about evil food.

Well, since ya asked....

axis-of-evil-cookbook-lg.jpg

tumblr_ml16nbTgtL1s3kji9o1_500.jpg

img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=62885251

food-evil-sandwich-2011-0113.jpg
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    There are no evil foods.

Curry jello

Whoa. I'm going to have to agree with you on that one. :sick:

There were actual flavors like celery Jello, and mixed vegetable Jello in the 1950s.