Ex dumped me because I was too fat

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't get why he did it, and I'll probably never find out, but that reason seems likely. I mean when I saw him checking out other women, it wasn't the bigger ones. I just feel stupid and that I wasted 4 years.

It's a waste of time to try and figure out WHY an abuser does what he does. The answer is quite simple: He is seriously effed up. I am SO GLAD that you are out of that relationship! I can't even imagine being held down and forced to eat. He could have killed you!! Stay well clear of him. Get some counseling - abusive relationships really end up distorting our self images and our ideas of what love is and how it is expressed. I wish you the very best. :flowerforyou:
  • snshnkty11
    Options
    I think you are very pretty! :) You should never have been in a relationship like that. He has serious issues. That is NOT what love is. He never loved you. You deserve better. Use this as fuel to your fire & better yourself. Not b/c you need to be "skinny" to be loved, but b/c you need to be healthy for YOU. Remember that the number on the scale is not as important as being healthy. It's ok to be curvy too. Just make better food choices, fruits & veggies for your carbs instead of processed junk. Protein, water, & limit your alcohol. Quit smoking if you do, and work out. Do a work out that is fun so that way you don't feel punished when you do it. :) And forget about this guy. Completely block him from your life, and never allow anyone else to treat you that way again.
  • staplebug
    Options
    I am so sorry that this happened to you. I don't understand why some men get satisfaction from torturing women.

Go get some counseling, it will help you come to terms with it and get you motivated to focus on YOU again. This guy has messed you up.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. This guy abused the hell out of you! Please, please, please be thankful this animal is out of your life. You lucked out. He's gone. Now, you need to make sure he stays gone. You can use this as a motivator in your life -- to never let yourself end up in a similar situation and to take charge of your life and be the person you want to be. The way he made you feel isn't who you are, no matter how hard he worked to reinforce that negative image and no matter how much you've taken it to heart. Find something positive to focus your energy on. Actually, now would be a good time to surround yourself with and submerse yourself in a whole lot of positivity.

Whatever you do, don't sit around glamorizing the past and glorifying him because he had "sweet" moments.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You are not a moron, he is. He did not break up with you because you are fat, he broke up with you because he found another victim. He's a predator. His opinion is not the opinion of others.

He is so NOT worth your time and thoughts. YOU are worth it. You are worth loving no matter what your weight. You are worth being heatlhy. Just count your lucky stars that he's moved on and do the same. Move on. Have a wonderful life. You deserve it.
  • bethmakesmusic
    bethmakesmusic Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Well, on the bright side, you just lost about 200 pounds of dead weight by getting rid of that jerk-hole so congrats on your first victory! Now's a great time to refocus on a fresh new you. Good lucks and congrats in advance for all the victories to come!
  • athene_circe
    athene_circe Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for being brave and sharing your story. I hope you are free of it all now -- you use the term 'ex' but it seems you only split up recently. Be careful not to get back with him, considering the history here!

Welcome to the site and I hope it goes well :-)

This. Sometimes in abusive situations it is hard to break free and temptation to go back is great. Please hold your ground. For your own safety and sanity you need to completely cut ties with this guy, no matter how hard it is.

I can see by your pics that you are a beautiful girl at any size. Take it one day at a time and breathe. Do small things to start and be gentle with yourself. You will build yourself back up a little bit at a time, but you will get there.

You may also want to avoid any temptation to rebound into another relationship right now. Give yourself time to heal.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Um, sounds like he was abusive and you allowed it to go on for 4 years. he did you a favor, now take a break from dating for a while to get some therapy. There are very few reasons that a person stays in an abusive relationship for 4 years, and love ain't one. Seriously, get some therapy.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Get a therapist. Otherwise, you will likely go running back to him because you are not addressing your own needs. We all try to fill the sucking void in our own hearts with external things. Men, women, sex, money, shoes, cars, houses, etc. It simply doesn't work.

Take care of yourself so that you have a complete happy package to offer the next person. Stop the cycle now.

Everyone can blame the guy for being an assh0le, which he is, but you need to take responsibility for your own happiness. No person or thing can cultivate that for you. Only you.

Otherwise, enjoy life in manipulative relationships. By ignoring your own well-being you've earned it.

Sorry. You have plenty of people patting your hand and telling you it will be ok. It will. You just have to do something.

Start with a therapist.
  • goalaska
    Options
    Your ex sounds like a mental case.. seriously there is something wrong with him, normal people DO NOT do that to their gf's skinny/chubby/whatever, it's abusive behaviour and I hope you realise now that you are so worth being loved and adored even if he didn't act like it. I t sounds like he got some sick sadistic pleasure out of force feeding you and tearing down your self esteem.

You need to focus on and loving and caring for yourself right now, the weight loss will follow. In my opinion, your top priority should be to nurture yourself emotionally and rebuild your confidence and self worth, Visit a counsellor or therapist if need be, try to understand why you enabled this ill treatment for 4 years, and how you can avoid attracting the same type of guy and beginning the cycle all over again. Take your power back :) Good luck!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    It's definitely helped me to get this all out...I actually do feel a bit more relieved now. And I'm definitely not going back, he's already tried once, and now he's trying to be friends :/. I think a lot of what's bothering me is trying to figure out what in the world his reasoning is. I'm trying to get over this situation, get myself in better health, etc, because I know it's what's best for my health and my own well being

Don't even allow the "just friends" title to happen...that's just a stepping stone for him to be back in the picture completely. There is NO reasoning behind what he has done... I bet he can not justify it at all.... this dude needs professional help with himself!!

I concur. Sever all ties with the guy.

YES. No contact, ever. Block his number.

If you can, I suggest considering counseling or therapy. There are reasons why you permitted such abuse to go on for so long and it's important that you work thorough those reasons so you can be stronger, healthier (both physically AND mentally), and more confident in the future. You deserve to be happy and I wish you luck.
  • samammay
    Options
    Why bother? Because the ultimate revenge is to change the one thing he hated most about you and make sure he knows it.

Petty? Yeah, probably. Do you deserve it? Abso-freakin-lutely.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    H! I was there a year and a half ago, I would see my ex check out chicks that werer skinny and well not me and then he would make comments about bigger chicks and things like that but then when I would bring it up he would say well it's different, you just don't get it. I never knew why what happened happened but a year and a half later I realize I don't care, I'm mad he doesn't see "our" son but it's his choice and if that's how he is then we are better off. Right now you might want to know what his reason was, and in a way everything he has said will still be with you for a while. But in a month or two and you are doing things on your one then it won't matter, you'll say it was his loss and it is. He wants to control you even if he isn't with you. Prove to yourself that what is going through your head is a lie. It's not always easy, sometimes you will question but it will be worth it. Your confidence with be over the moon when you can say no I'm a good person, I deserve better, then you will know it happened for a reason. Good luck, take care of yourself and get in the right mind set before perusing another relationship, you don't need to be all that you want but think better about yourself...don't bring his baggage into your next relationship because you deserve better then that and the next guy deserves to have a gf completely to himself.
  • lori_king
    Options
    I didn't think my first post would be this one, but it is. I hate to see people abuse other people. And this is abuse. I didn't read all of the responses to your post, most of them said the same thing. Good riddence to bad rubbish.

First of all you have to love yourself before you can love anyone else. Secondly, this guy wanted you in this state because he had control. Don't let him have control. Enough said about him.

Now about you. Pick yourself up by your bootstraps, as my grandmother would say and put that all behind you. Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

Exercise gets your endorphins going and gives you positive energy and helps you be happy. Get moving, even if it's slow at first.

Secondly, don't diet. You heare me. Don't diet. Do what we all need to do and change your eating habits.
    Look at the DASH Diet. Yeah I know I said don't diet. Ignore the name of it. It's really a way of life not a diet.

I started it 3 weeks ago at the recommendation of my neighbor who also happens to be a nutritionist. I didn't do the 14 day stabalizer or whatever they call it, you can if you want. I just started eating 3 meals a day and 2 snacks a day. Started tracking my food on here. Honestly after the first week I didn't have any cravings for junk food, well only once, i wanted cheetoes, but it passed.

I've lost 3 pounds in 3 weeks. I'm not hungry at all. As a matter of fact. Somestimes I have to force myself to eat those snacks. it's the constant eating that keeps your blood sugars from spiking and dropping. I've added more fiber and less carbs to my diet. Except on exercise days. Then I eat more carbs.

Why did I start this, because I am on high blood pressure meds, chloresterol meds, and my last blood test had me heading toward diabeties. Nope not going there, hopefully. Both my parents are/were diabetics. I want to turn that around if I can.

I also joined a gym, got 4 free trainer sessions, and I'm well on my way to a healthier happier me.

Who am I doing this for? you guessed it ME!

I have spent over 30 years raising children and putting them ahead of myself. Now it's my turn.

3 weeks into it I have more energy, my clothes are fitting better and I feel great. I am even seeing small changes in my body that are making me very motivated, not to mention the tire around my waist. That's enough motivation for me.

So you see it's not about him it's about you. To hell with him.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You were in an abusive relationship for four years. If you can afford it, or you have insurance to cover it, I'd REALLY suggest counseling. There are also probably some free programs out there for victims of abuse.
  • yogeshsarkar
    yogeshsarkar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Saddest part is you weren’t the one who dumped him, which you ought to have done 4 years ago.

Anyways, what is done is done. Best concentrate on your future and improving your lifestyle and fitness, not for the sake of some moron, but for yourself.
  • goalaska
    Options
    Saddest part is you weren’t the one who dumped him, which you ought to have done 4 years ago.

In my opinion, the saddest part is that she was subjected to this abuse. Her not leaving him first is symptomatic of his complete control over her via tearing down her self esteem.
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Hi. I will say that I am very sorry about your relationship. A little over a year ago, I was 7 months pregnant, and with the help of a couple of friends, I packed up my then 2 year old and our things and walked out of my house, while my husband was gone. By that time the abuse had changed me from the person I was. I was a zombie doing what I could to keep from literally losing my mind. I won't go into the nasty details, but I will say, I completely understand your struggle. It is so easy for people to say, "Oh you're so much better off without him!" Although they are right, we are better off, it is not just that simple. I have had people say to me, "I would have left that guy a long time ago! Why didn't you just leave?" Again, it is not that simple and people who have not been there do not understand it.

I did not read all of the posts on here, so forgive me if this is repetitive. Talking to someone is the best thing. Talk to a therapist. There is no shame is seeking therapy. If you are religious, also talk to your pastor or counselor, talk to your friends, but definitely talk to a therapist. The psychological aspect of abuse affects us deeper then we think and more then anyone else can understand.

If you continue having trouble with him, I suggest you find a Community Violence Intervention Center or whatever is in your area and then pursue a restraining order. Seems that you have had enough unwanted contact that you should qualify for one.

Whatever you do, DO NOT GO BACK TO HIM!! Whatever story he tells you, he will tell you he loves you, he's sorry, he's changed. He will promise not to do it again. DO NOT BELIEVE HIM. PLEASE... If you go back to him, it will be worse and it will be harder to leave.

Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options

I honestly don't get why he did it

He did it because he had a problem. a big problem. He is a bully and an abusive personality type. He is toxic. And he did it because for 4 years you allowed him to treat you that way.

Start rebuilding your life in a healthy way. As others have said start logging. You are in control of what goes into your mouth now, not him. The sooner you get your self physically healthy the sooner all this is behind you.

And if abuse counseling is available to you, get some.

All of this will get rid of the depression.
  • paulstephenmarshall
    Options
    hell want you back when youre skinny , id guess you may just tell him whjere to go.