Do you have an age range that you consider old

Options

Replies

• cindy859
    cindy859 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Old is just a state of mind--I guess you are old when you start to feel old.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I think if I ever stop enjoying life, stop running, stop looking at pretty women, or even average women, I MIGHT be getting old!!!!

Basil
  • BeefyBFit
    BeefyBFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yeah - 42. I'm 42 and I freakin hate it! But I keep telling myself that 42 is the new 32 so mentally I'm barely an adult and I'm still sexy so whatever......... :bigsmile:
  • BeefyBFit
    BeefyBFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Now seems like a good time to roll out this pic:

put-me-in-a-home.jpg

Always makes me chuckle.

Love this one!
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Old is merely a mental state of mind.
    ^^^^That^^^^^^
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I was talking with a safety guy at work about an employee slip and fall. He read the report and said oh she is 60, when people get to that age that start falling and go down hill. Well I'm 61 and was offended by it. My husband said I should take it as a compliment because the guy obviously didn't think I looked like a 60 year old.

Do you have a date range that you consider old? I don't but maybe it is because I'm old, lol.

That would offend me, too. Some people run marathons when they are in their sixties. I think of 40-50-60 year old people as being in the middle of their lives.

Age is a number that says how long you have been standing around breathing. It has nothing to do with health -- but so many people when they are younger don't exercise and eat in an uncontrolled manner that of course they destroy their health.
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The older I get, the higher the range of what I consider old gets:blushing: :laugh:

^THIS
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I used to believe as many on here do that age is a state of mind, and the older I got the older old was. After living and working in a senior community I found that it is a state of mind. I have known 90 year-olds that were younger than some 40 year- olds. When you have to make an appointment to see someone they must be pretty young if they have the energy to be busy all day. Age is just a state of mind.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to choose 'an age" because I have seen 26 year olds who are old. They smoke, eat vending food, don't exercise and try to work, go to school and party. They look drawn, pale, tired and 30 years older than they are. Then, this summer, an 86 year old woman passed me hiking up a mountain and she did not even have hiking poles! When we got to the top, I was shocked at how young she looked and what great shape she was in. She was entertaining all of us 60 somethings with her story. It seems that the Health Industry may be on to something. If we eat well, don't smoke, don't drink to excess (except H2O of course), maintain a healthy weight and exercise, our age truly is just a number and old has come to mean "not very healthy." Since I have lost the weight, the first thing people say is "You look so much younger!" and at 60 soon to be 61, that is a REAL compliment!! Lose weight and you can even REVERSE old! Who knew???? Woo Hoo!! :happy:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My grandfather died when I was 21 and he was 72, I thought he'd got to a good old age, I'm now 33 and realise that he was quite young when he died. My grandma is an old 85 whereas my great aunt is a young 90, I think I go off the person and everyone is different.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. When I was in my late 20's, I use to hear - "it's all maintenance after 30"... I am turning 55 next year and I believe that as we gain years, we need to do more to maintain our health. If you have the genetics that don't require more maintenance in your 30's or 40's or 50's, good for you. For me, "old age" started in my 30's with a few subtle things - like I couldn't drink half a martini without waking up with a BAD hangover. So I quit drinking. In my 40's, the weight kept piling on till late 2011 at age 53 I had to make the commitment to log and increase my activity and get to a HW and now maintain it.

I would rather be getting "older" than the "alternative". How healthy I am is up to me. I don't want to be a shuffler.
  • FitterStrongerHappier
    Options
    so here is a question for u. I have a coworker who is the same age as my mom. when I realized this, I was in awe because she is working and doesn't have any serious health issues. my mom on the other hand has MANY and it is hard to see her like that. I told my nearly 70 year old coworker that I thought she was doing awesome and meant it as a compliment but I don't think saying something like that can ever really be taken as a compliment. luckily we have a good relationship and aside from some ribbing and making me feel guilty about it now and again, it wasnt a big deal. maybe the guy that said that was thinking of his own parents and comparing them. I have been guilty of those thoughts. too. but I don't think people always mean to be insulting. would u be insulted if, at 69, someone looked at you and said, wow, you are doing great - my mom is the same age and has (list 10 different health issues here)? I realized after I said it it didn't come out right, but I did mean it as a compliment.
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who goes to the "Y" two or three times a week for water exercise and work on the treadmill. She's 95. So I guess I think "old" must be 96 or more.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Anyone over a hundred is old. I am just barely an 'elder' LOL
  • LilMissDB
    Options
    I have a friend who goes to the "Y" two or three times a week for water exercise and work on the treadmill. She's 95. So I guess I think "old" must be 96 or more.

Yep, my husband's Grandma just turned 97 and she still plays golf twice a week. My mum on the other hand tells me she can't do anything because she's 'old' when she's only 55!
  • KageyKat
    Options
    LOL love it!
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options

I would rather be getting "older" than the "alternative". How healthy I am is up to me. I don't want to be a shuffler.

^^ this ^^:heart:

I go back and forth, up and down! So much of it depends on my state of mind. For the last few years I felt "old" because I let things like osteoarthritis and the mental stress at work get to me. However since this past spring I decided to not let these things ruin my health. I'm taking charge again, lifting, walking briskly, (no running yet as I don't have any wild dogs chasing me) and choosing more healthy options and portions for my meals. By the way, I'll be 58 in December.
  • Aquabird
    Aquabird Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Old is ten years older than I am!!

Exactly! When I was in my teens, people in their 20s were old (not declining...just old). It's just a matter of perspective.
  • azztkk
    Options
    A great quote ....

"If you didn't know how old you are, how old would you be ?" - Satchel Paige
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry would you repeat the question? I forgot what we are talking about............:blushing: