Why do people disregard walking?

Options

Replies

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Since I don't like to run, I get most of my cardio from walking. It's pleasant, easily integrated into day-to-day life and keeps me in shape for hiking. I don't log every step I take since most of it would be covered under general calorie expense, but I have started logging when I walk to and/or from work (1 hr) and when I go take long walks on weekends.

Incidentally, MFP way over-evaluates the calories spent while walking. More precisely, it lumps the base metabolic rate in with the calories burned so that the base gets counted twice.

This article seems to be well-researched:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single

They say that the net calorie expense when walking at a normal speed is around 0.3 x (distance in miles) x (weight in pounds). I've computed my average speed (google maps helps) and made a custom exercise so I can log my walks semi-accurately.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Everybody walks every day. It's just that the other 7 billion of us don't call it "exercise."
    Perhaps. But then we look at nations (or cities) where folks walk a lot. Not huge obesity problems there....

Does it matter if it's called exercise? The mantra here is: eat less move more. Walking is moving.

fwiw: I alternate running, cycling and walking. I don't disregard any of them (nor my weight lifting).

Pretty much this. I put on 30 lbs in one year when I moved from Paris, where I was walking a lot just going to work etc, to the US... What matters in the end is that you're more active when you walk.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    At least at this point, walking is my main cardio exercise.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Well, I am/was a runner. I love speed. Let's go fast, let's get over it and be done. Half dead, I will still run.
    Walking? ha Ha ha!) I never get sweaty... it a waste of time... it doesn't even raise my b. pressure.... I don't understand why people chose this as a sport...

Well, I got older, hopefully, I got wiser a bit. Everybody has different needs!

The great thing is you do it and helps you to reach your goal!

walk on:))))
    Because not everyone is you?
  • faripari31
    Options
    People disregard any lifestyle choice that they haven't practically experienced the results off. My dad is a heart patient and has taken amazing care of himself just by walking after dinner every day. I'm a big cardio fan at the gym, but even on days I can't get into the gym I walk around the mall, or back and forth from school. I avoid taking a car or the bus unless its really lousy weather. You can easily fit walking into your day, even a trip to the grocery store by foot adds up a lot in the long run. Tried and tested :) Don't give up on what works for you and tune out the naysayers
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I walk every day. And I intend to for the rest of my life. My grandma walked every day also. About 5 miles a day into her 90's. She lived until 96. My mom was lazy and never walked or did any exercise. Now she is not medically capable of walking. Bet she wishes she had walked more when she could.

Walking is good exercise, it's easy, it's free, it's meditative, you can do it with your pet, you can do it with a friend, you can do it with a mate, or you can do it alone.

Walk on. I intend to. :-)
  • x1v16
    x1v16 Posts: 66
    Options
    I do leslie sansome as well! Right now I do the 1 mile walk, 20-30 minute break, another mile, 20-30 minute break, and if I feel good another mile. She makes me work up a sweat and it certainly is more difficult than what you would think of as walking in place.

Personally I find ALL workout video people's voices annoying, so I mute it and have another video playing on the other half of the screen. I just imitate what she's doing while watching something interesting and fun. Wouldn't do it any other way.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I just walked 6km to get my yoghurt, then walked it again carrying the damn 6.4kg dog in my arms the whole way,

Think it's still not exercise?
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Walking is for people who's time means nothing.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I suppose spelling is, too.
  • thomasandrews
    Options
    I'm planning to add an hour a day (mall). Should I walk then eat or eat then walk? :) Thanks
  • catelinn
    Options
    Take no notice , walking is one of the best exercises you can do,you just keep up the good work :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Time does mean nothing. It's what you do with it that counts.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

What a random statement. So because I have a dog who needs walking twice a day, that means my time means nothing? :huh:

If my OH and I go for a hike all afternoon, that's some sort of waste of time because we're not... what exactly... busy saving the world...? making lots of money on the stock exchange...?

What do YOU do with your time that's ever so important then?? :noway:
  • Mslmesq
    Options

Lol. Guess you never heard the saying "The journey is the destination". I suppose telling you about the benefits of meditation would be lost on you too. :-(

Check back with us in 10 years and tell us if you still feel the same way.
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    I'm planning to add an hour a day (mall). Should I walk then eat or eat then walk? :) Thanks

I usually walk before eating in the morning and after eating in the evening.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I walk just about 5 days a week, sometimes less, but normally 5. I do about 5 miles those days...but I started out only being able to walk about a mile. I have RA and anything high impact is a no no for me. Using weights is hard too as my joints are not strong. I've lost 47 pounds since January. Oh and the walks are great to clear the mind and get rid of stress.
  • katpatoneill
    katpatoneill Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I feel like it really just depends on the person. As a college student on a big campus, it's just a way of life- if you want to do anything, just walk there. Also, since I'm a tad younger than the average user on the site, also with a little less to lose and with a pretty decent aerobic fitness level, so walking doesn't raise my heart rate much. I walk and enjoy it, but since I have to do so much of it during the day (1.5 miles to get to work, then walk to classes is another .5, then walk between those buildings, go to my second job is another 2 mile walk, then back to the apartment, which is half a mile away) I just don't want to do any more of it, so I go for a bike ride or a run.

But more power to the people who do walk, I understand its benefits! Once I came to college and had to walk everywhere instead of drive, the pounds melted off and I felt so much healthier! :D It's also a huge relaxant.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I suppose spelling is, too.
    :bigsmile:
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Walking is amazing for you! I never got that either when people say it's useless.

I love walking because it's a good, cheap, (and low-calorie) date night with my husband. Not to mention it provides perfect quality time and conversation.

PS, I log when I go for "a walk"... not when I walk from my front door to my car. That would just be silly.